DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Sorenson Squeeze 4.5 shuts down while encoding (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/240162-sorenson-squeeze-4-5-shuts-down-while-encoding.html)

Trond Saetre August 2nd, 2009 10:10 AM

Sorenson Squeeze 4.5 shuts down while encoding

Today I had nothing but trouble with Sorenson Squeeze 4.5 while encoding an .avi edited in Adobe Premiere Pro CS3, to a quicktime format.

Squeeze almost always (say 98% of the time) suddenly shuts down when the encoding is around 55-85% completed. No error messages, no warnings, nothing.
In the very few occations when it actually got to 100% completed, the encoded file did not exist!

My system:
Sager NP9262 laptop with quadcore 2,66GHz CPU, 4GB ram, 3 HDD running in a Raid 0 setup.

Earlier Squeeze has performed very well with the exact same settings. I have not changed anything at all.
Only once in a while (maybe 5% of the time) it has shut down as it did today, but a restart of either the computer or only Squeeze would fix the problem, and next attempt would be fine.

Notice:
This occur while encoding to quicktime (.mov) only.
I also tried to encode to mpeg4 for my iphone, and that works very well without any trouble at all.
Latest version of quicktime is installed.

Anyone have any ideas to solutions?
The obvious reinstall of Squeeze did not change anything, and the problem still exist.

Trond Saetre August 3rd, 2009 03:08 AM

Update:

I have now narrowed the problem down to only quicktime encoding.
MP4, flash, and windows media will be encoded by Squeeze without any problems.

Still no clue about why I suddenly have trouble encoding quictime (.mov), since there has been no changes to any settings or any software updates since last time I encoded to quicktime.

Anyone have any ideas, or had this problem?

Battle Vaughan August 3rd, 2009 10:29 AM

Just a hunch, have you recently updated your Quicktime version? Almost everytime they update it, the new version breaks something. I updated to 7.6 and it broke my Adobe CS4 output, when I dropped back to 7.5 everything came back...there was, also, at least on the Mac side, a recent update for Squeeze, then shortly after, another one. Maybe it's an update bug....??? / Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team

Trond Saetre August 3rd, 2009 12:21 PM

Thanks for the heads up about that.

When I think about it, I updated my iTunes a few weeks ago. Maybe quicktime was updated at the same time. But I remember I updated quicktime to version 7.6 before last successful encoding with Squeeze.

I'll check into it.

Battle Vaughan August 3rd, 2009 12:51 PM

Apple recently released version 7.6.2 for windows, an update from 7.6....I'm just saying..../bvaughan

Trond Saetre August 3rd, 2009 01:02 PM

Just checked. It's the quicktime 7.6.2 I have installed.
Thank you.

Trond Saetre August 4th, 2009 07:03 AM

Update:

I downloaded the Sorenson Squeeze 5 trial yesterday, and this one works perfectly with the latest version of quicktime (7.6.2).
So I believe the problem is only related to Squeeze 4.5 and quicktime,
and is solved with the latest version of Squeeze.

Battle Vaughan August 4th, 2009 09:02 AM

Good to know, thanks. We are using Squeeze 5.1.1 on the Mac and it's working nicely, but we stopped upgrading Quicktime at 7.5.5....it is working fine, not going "to fix what ain't broke" at they say, we have been burned by Quicktime updates too many times! /bvaughan

Trond Saetre September 10th, 2009 02:32 PM

Update about Sorenson Squeeze 5 and Quicktime 7.6.4

Maybe I should have posted this as a separate thread, but anyway...

Quicktime has been updated to the latest version 7.6.4 as of yesterday.

Sorenson Squeeze 5 for PC has a bug causing it to malfunction with this Quicktime version. (Confirmed by email from a Sorenson representative today)
Sorenson is working to fix this bug.

Sorenson Squeeze 5 for MAC works fine with Quicktime 7.6.4.

Trond Saetre September 30th, 2009 10:29 AM

Update Squeeze 5 and Quicktime 7.6.4 - Bug fix

Today I received a mail from Sorenson confirming that the bug/problem I mentioned in the previous post is due to be fixed within a month.