DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Help with my new computer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/25105-help-my-new-computer.html)

Shane Kinloch April 25th, 2004 10:20 PM

Help with my new computer

G'day,

This is my new video editing computer's specs:

Hardware:
P4 3.2GHZ
1024MB PC-3200 DDR400 RAM
80GB HDD (internal)
DVD-RW+CDRW+CD+DVD
ATI Radeon™ 9600 PRO, 128 MB VRAM
Western Digital 250GB 7,200 8MB HDD (External)

Software:
Windows XP Pro
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Audition
Adobe Encore
Adobe After Effects 6 (Professional Version)

My question is:
Should I partition my external 250GB HDD and if so in what way?

Ed Smith April 26th, 2004 04:25 AM

Shane,

Personally I would leave it how it is. It will not benefit you in any way. If you think it will increase speed, it will not.

Do you have a reason for doing it?

Shane Kinloch April 26th, 2004 05:17 PM

I was under the impression that it would be easier to manage and run faster if I partitioned it. I guess I was wrong. This new 250GB HDD is the biggest HDD I have ever owned.

Ed Smith April 27th, 2004 02:35 AM

Hi Shane,

Yes it could be slightly easier to manage, but you could always use folders.

Donie Kelly April 27th, 2004 10:07 AM

external

Hi

The drive is firewire I guess or USB 2? Is it formatted with FAT32?

If it is then you'll only be able to store files on it of 4096Mbytes. If you format it NTFS you can use any size you want. Remember though, if you do format it with XP you cannot go back as XP will not format that drive with FAT32 again. It's one way with XP.

Hope that helps
Donie

Shane Kinloch April 27th, 2004 04:29 PM

Donie,

Yes the drive is firewire.

Is there any other advantages/Disadvantages between FAT32 and NTFS formatting?

I can't see why it would be formatted FAT32 if its a 250GB HDD. How do I tell which way it is formatted?

Donie Kelly April 27th, 2004 05:08 PM

ntfs

Hi Shane

You're using XP so I'd go with using NTFS. However, there is one caveat in that a Win98/Me pc will not read a NTFS filesystem. I'm not sure about XP home Edition??? A MAC willl not read the files either but I believe you can get a read only driver for the mac to read an NTFS partition so that's something. Bottom line, if you are just using it on your pc as extra storage then use NTFS or if all the pc's you plug it into are one of NT, 2000 or XP pro then you're better off with NTFS.

Otherwise, stick with FAT32 for best compability. I find the 4096Meg limit a pain but it's usually OK as long as you remember not to log large clips over 20 minutes long or so.

You asked how to know if it was FAT32 or not. Open Windows Explorer and right-click on the external drive. Click properties.

Look for the file system type in the general tab.

Regards
Donie

ps: If the drive supports USB 2 and you have USB 2 on your pc, then it's faster then firewire. Unless of course, it's the new firewire 800 standard. I'm not sure if there are any drives out yet that support Firewire 800. Of course, your pc would have to be firewire 800 as well.

Shane Kinloch April 27th, 2004 05:48 PM

Thanks very much for your help Donie. I have XP Pro and the drive is only used for storing video so I will go with NTFS.

Rob Lohman April 28th, 2004 09:08 AM

Donie: according to my latest test, firewire is actually a little bit
ahead of USB2. Slightly less CPU consumption and slightly better
transfer rates. The difference isn't much, though.

Donie Kelly April 28th, 2004 09:46 AM

Hi Rob

OK, intresting test. I was going by the max throughput of the interfaces which is obviously not reflected in real life.

I have a maxtor 200Gig and I might just switch over to firewire to see if there is any difference in speed.

Thanks for the test results.
Donie

Rob Lohman April 28th, 2004 10:04 AM

Ofcourse this was limited to one drive. But it also is a Maxtor
drive. If you want run your own tests (I even linked to the
testing application) and see what happens! Like I said, the
difference isn't that large.

Donie Kelly April 28th, 2004 10:35 AM

Hi Rob

Give me a day or so and I might get to do it. My pc is currently sold as I've moved to Mac and FCP 4.

I bough the drive to transfer the stuff from my pc to the mac. I'll do a mac test of throughput some day if I can fine a benchmark tool.

Regards
Donie