DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Monitor interference problems, what are my options here? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/35929-monitor-interference-problems-what-my-options-here.html)

Bryan Roberts December 5th, 2004 03:36 AM

Monitor interference problems, what are my options here?

Hey all. Well I have an interesting problem. I currently have a 19 inch CRT monitor (8 months old) as my primary display set at 1280 X 1024 @ 85 hrz. I live in an apartment complex and literally have zero options in terms of moving my editing workstation desk around in my editing room (once the spare bedroom, now only for ediitng) and cannot trade my area into any other room. Outside my window (I'm on the first floor) is a row of A/C units for my building. As you could imagine, this creates quite a bit of interference with my monitor all during the day and night as each one of these things are almost always running at some time. The jittery movement didn't bother me at first but after some heavy weeks editing, I've developed some severe headaches. I run the monitor into a battery backup surge protector and have also tried every quick fix that might help to reduce some of the jitters (running the plug into different wall outlets around the room, degausing my monitor frequently with no luck, trying different refresh rates). Is my only viable option since I don't plan to move for atleast a year plus to purchase an LCD monitor (19inch I guess)? This would leave me to use the two side by side with the CRT used only when extra screen realestate was required. Or, is there a way to cut down on this interference without buying expensive materials? A 19inch LCD isn't completely out of my price range but if possible, it'd be great to avoid this cost as my 19inch CRT has been definitely acceptable for my current workflow. I'd love to hear any thoughts or suggestions.

Dan Euritt December 5th, 2004 12:37 PM

when i was a pc network admin, we had a situation where somebody had their desk butted up against a wall next to the power room for the building... the idiots that designed the building put all the heavy power lines inside the wall, so there was a huge magnetic field that created the same problem you are having.

we ended up having to move the computer away from the wall... along the way, we called in the gas and electric people to measure the magnetic field, but they were worthless.

perhaps you can try searching google for methods on shielding against magnetic fields, but i think that you really need to get off that wall... if you decide to try wrapping something around the monitor, be sure and leave the vent holes open.

and fwiw, some people might tell you that it's not a good idea to spend a lot of time inside a magnetic field like that, lol.

Bryan Roberts December 5th, 2004 12:50 PM

Dan - hmmm. I just did some searching for magnetic field monitor protection enclosures and found that these things are typically very expensive, like around $700 for a 19inch CRT. Most sites wont even list their prices and have FAQ sections answering why their products cost so much. I just really don't have any option to move my monitor. If I could find a shield for $100, I'd prob go with it but much higher than that, I'd just put that money towards an LCD ..... It looks like LCD is my route and then once I do move, I can use my old CRT as well. Damn.