DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   converting AVCHD before editing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/407798-converting-avchd-before-editing.html)

Paul Ulreich September 17th, 2009 07:05 AM

converting AVCHD before editing

I have seem some things online about taking your avchd files and converting to something else before editing that doesnt much affect the quality but makes it faster to edit say using Pinnacle.

Anyone here done that before? If so whaty would you convert it to, MPEG2? AVI?

Thanks again for helpin the newguy

Robert M Wright September 17th, 2009 11:20 AM

www.cineform.com

Paul Ulreich September 17th, 2009 12:29 PM

what am i looking at here?

Brian Tori September 17th, 2009 04:57 PM

Here is your solution.

NewBlue AVCHD Upshift | Batch convert your AVCHD files into standard .M2T files.

Paul Ulreich September 19th, 2009 08:42 AM

cool so what benefit will that provide?

Faster rendering?
Easier editing?
Less space used on hard drive?

Thanks!

Brian Tori September 19th, 2009 08:50 AM

You'll get the benefit of all three. Download trial and give it a spin.

Xian Messerschmidt September 20th, 2009 02:23 PM

NeoScene converts AVCHD to 10-bit 4:2:2 avi that is pretty much lossless and perfect for speedy editing, color grading, etc. UpShift converts to MPEG2. I'd recommend Cineform before UpShift if you're planning on editing.

Jim Snow September 21st, 2009 10:02 AM

I agree, Cineform is a much better choice. MPEG isn't a good format for editing.

Mark Williams September 21st, 2009 10:47 AM

Tried Cineform Neo Scene trial today on Canon 7d file from dpreview.com. Worked great. Only doubled the file's 44mb size and was fast. Brought the converted file into Edius and it played back fine. Looks like a great solution.

Brian Tori September 21st, 2009 11:12 AM

Both programs are a good solution. I've used both and was happy with results of each. Both will enable you to take AVCHD and convert to a more easily editable format.

Benefits of Upshift:

1. easily edited with most current systems.
2. faster rendering than AVCHD native.
3. maintains original file sizes(Cineform will use 2x-4x more hard drive space)

Benefits of Cineform:

1. easily edited with most current systems
2. faster rendering than AVCHD native.
3. uses 10 bit 4:2:2, which will hold up through post better

On the Cineform site, Pinnacle is not listed as a compatible NLE for use with Neoscene. It may work though.

Perrone Ford September 21st, 2009 11:33 AM

Since when is Cineform (at the Neoscene level) 10bit?

[edit]

Just looked at their file spec. Neoscene is indeed 10bit. That's amazing. And a terrific bargain. I use a different system, but this is fabulous for someone looking to go this route on a budget.

C.S. Michael September 21st, 2009 03:02 PM

If you have Sony Vegas you can do a batch conversion to whatever format you like.

Tools > Scripting > Batch Render

Ervin Farkas September 25th, 2009 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Williams (Post 1380702)
Tried Cineform Neo Scene trial today on Canon 7d file from dpreview.com. Worked great. Only doubled the file's 44mb size and was fast. Brought the converted file into Edius and it played back fine. Looks like a great solution.

I am shocked... Mark, what's wrong with Canopus HQ???

Robert M Wright September 26th, 2009 08:56 AM

Canopus HQ, all by itself, can justify the cost of Edius Neo. It's a viable alternative to Cineform's codec.

Xian Messerschmidt September 26th, 2009 12:51 PM

EDIUS is a really fantastic editor. The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of plugin support. There is an After Effects bridge in beta, though. Once they get that working well I think a lot of people are going to stand up and take notice.