DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Anyone using CoolerMaster Storm Sniper case? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/466251-anyone-using-coolermaster-storm-sniper-case.html)

Ervin Farkas October 22nd, 2009 06:45 AM

Anyone using CoolerMaster Storm Sniper case?

Has a good review on Newegg.com - I like the set of connectors on the top front: eSATA, USB, Firewire, headphone - makes it easy to quickly connect things I don't use all the time.

I am in particular interested if anyone uses it with the Asus P6T Deluxe v2 mobo and the Intel i7 920 processor.

[Just for the record, since it got some criticism here on the forum: I care less for the blue LEDs... will likely disconnect them].

Thank you,

Luis Rolo November 2nd, 2009 04:10 AM

I have one, but not with the motherboard/processor combo you want.

Regarding the leds, the case has a button to switch them on/off.

Ervin Farkas November 2nd, 2009 07:31 AM

OK, thanks Luis.

Are you overall happy with the case?

Harm Millaard November 2nd, 2009 09:25 AM

You may need to reconsider, because the cooling capacity appears severly flawed, despite the two 240 mm fans. Especially the GPU will run pretty hot, due to the lacking thermal design. Search for some tests around the internet.

Ervin Farkas November 2nd, 2009 09:47 AM

Harm, I value a lot your expertise, but I am really puzzled by your opinion in this particular case.

The very reason I am considering this case is the acclaimed cooling capacity. I read several reviews before even putting my hands on one in a nearby store... See this one for example from Cooler Master Sniper CM Storm Case | Cooler Master Sniper,SGC-6000-KKN1-GP,CM Storm,Gaming Computer Case,Cooler Master Sniper CM Storm Gaming Computer Case SGC-6000-KKN1-GP Benchmark Performance Test Product Review | Benchmark Reviews Performance Tes

Quote from the end of the review:
Pros:
+ Phenomenal cooling performance
+ Visually appealing design
+ Illuminated, variable speed fans w/ integrated controller
+ Pre-drilled, customizable fan locations
+ Built in support for water cooling
+ Steel-reinforced carrying handle
+ Two year warranty

Cons:
- Tool-less expansion slots felt insecure
- Some fan vibration audible at high setting

Ratings:
Presentation: 9.75
Appearance: 9.25
Construction: 8.5
Functionality: 9.00
Value: 8.5
Final Score: 9.0 out of 10.

Would you please tell me if your opinion is based on personal experience or some other internet review I didn't see?

Thank you,

Harm Millaard November 2nd, 2009 10:08 AM

Ervin,

Since you did not provide a link, I used Google to search for it and found this review: bit-tech.net | Review - Cooler Master Sniper
which led me to my cautionary remarks. I hope you find something useful in this.

My Google search was "CoolerMaster Sniper review".

My info was purely based on this review, I use Lian Li cases.

Ervin Farkas November 3rd, 2009 11:45 AM

Sorry for the delayed response - DVinfo notifications are dead... again.

The link is for the case I am considering, indeed. It looks like it all depends on whom you ask... some reviews list such minor things as "problems" as not having a see-through left panel, or the lack of black paint on the inside... Here is a typical conclusion, this one from xsreviews.co.uk:

"Once again Coolermaster have produced a very functional, good looking case with some nice toolless innovations. While I usually like to come up with some negative points on a case, as no product is perfect, there's very little wrong with this one. The only real issue for most will come down to the cost, or that those with heavy GPUs packing giant aftermarket coolers, may have a little trouble holding them in place with the toolless PCI brackets. Other than that, this is a fantastic case, with great cooling, excellent build quality and some top notch features. If you're looking for a new case, I can't recommend it enough."

And this is pretty much the general note all of the reviews have, at least the ones I read. Looks like you found the only one negative.

Anyway, the stress tests refer to high CPU power usage for long time - all I need is a general use PC with occasional video editing as I am just an enthusiast and work mostly for myself and friends.

All the recommended "alternatives" lack the top front positioned inputs which are vital for me. And if overclockers can still live with it, I should me more than happy... mine will run cool most of the time...

Thanks,

Mark Williams November 3rd, 2009 12:03 PM

Hi Ervin,

I am running the mobo and processor you indicated in an Antec 900-2 case and am very happy with it . It also gets a high rating on newegg. It has the usb, e-sata and audio ports on the top but not the firewire. Front fans have speed control knob and top fan has LMH switch plus switch to turn off top fan LED lights (not front ones). It runs a little louder than I had expected but I am now used to it. I am using the stock processor cooler. I am getting 37-41C on on all 4 processors on idle and 51-57C running full load test with Real Temp 3.0. If you are not going to build it yourself, I recommend avadirect.com. You can use thier on-line configurator to play with componets/price. They built mine at a price I was happy with.

Hope this helps,,,

Ervin Farkas November 3rd, 2009 12:07 PM

Thanks, neighbor!

I might consider the Antec as an alternative in case I give up on the Sniper; it has less bays though... and the lack of fw on top is a real problem for me.

Mark Williams November 3rd, 2009 12:21 PM

Ervin,

If you don't mind giving up a bay you could install a front firewire controller Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE SST-FP32-B Aluminum USB/1394/Audio Panel ( Black ) - Controller Panels
I use the top e-sata port to backup to multiple portable drives thus do not use more than two internal drives.

Steve Kalle November 4th, 2009 05:36 PM

I have the i7 920 and P6T (just below Deluxe) and a Zalman 9500 heatsink/fan inside a $350 Lian-Li case with 10 of 12 hard drive bays full. I have also used an Antec P180 case, and both of these cases are rather quiet and cool. That CM case is very well designed but it will be rather loud. The Antec P183 ($140 at newegg plus free shipping) will do as good of a job as that CM but be far quieter. The P183 is almost identical to the P180 in that review except for the fan placement in the bottom chamber with the new location better for drive temps.

You haven't mentioned if you will overclock and which video card(s) you will use.

Harm Millaard November 4th, 2009 07:06 PM

Steve,

You must have a small Lian Li case if you only have space for 12 disks. Which one are you using? I have a PC-A77B and it offers me room for 21 disks plus two burners. Mind you, I only have 17 disks and 2 burners installed, so I have room for expansion.

Steve Kalle November 4th, 2009 11:49 PM

Harm: its the PC-V2100 PLUS II.
http://lian-li.com/v2/tw/product/upl...0/V2100a02.jpg

http://lian-li.com/v2/tw/product/upl...00-%283%29.jpg

You will see what I mean by 12 hard drive bays.

If you like, I could take a couple of photos of my current setup. The bracket to direct the cpu fan airflow is removed and the fan has been replaced by an Antec 3 speed Tri-cool. The bracket above with the fan is angled down a bit and blowing in which helps cool the motherboard, northbridge, video card and raid cards immensely. Down below, there are 2 80mm fans at the back above the PC Power & Cooling 750w psu and the stock 120mm in the very front. The case is quiet enough for me. I can barely hear the 2 Raptors during heavy seeking and can't hear any of the Seagates (7200.11 and 7200.12).

Harm Millaard November 5th, 2009 05:19 AM

Steve, thanks for posting these images. I see what you mean with the 12 3.5" bays at the bottom. You could use 3 of the top 5.25" bays to install a SuperMicro disk cage for an additional 5 hot-swappable 3.5" disks and still have room for 2 burners. If you run out of disk space, I mean...

Ervin Farkas November 5th, 2009 06:53 AM

I'm a lazy person

1 Attachment(s)
One of the main reasons I am looking at this particular case is the availability of all the connections I need, right at the top front - see picture attached. I am sick and tired going behind my office desk and getting down on my knees to connect a cable. As a result my desk is flooded with all sorts of cables hanging around, just to be available when I need them.

I will not be overclocking, at least I don't plan on doing it for now. This new PC will be waaay faster than my present machine anyway, and as mentioned above, I don't do video editing for a living - so running at stock speed the CPU should not give me any cooling problems at all. The number of bays is more than I need - most of my projects reside on external drives as I need to take them with me to work on them when I have a few minutes at work. But I do need to quickly connect/disconnect those USB drives (2.5 inch USB-powered portables). My main editing drive is an eSATA/USB/FW400/FW800 2TB WD MyBook - will run @ SATA speed anyway, when connected via eSATA.

For now I only plan on using a modest videocard - my main editor (Edius) does not take advantage, or should I say, does not need the help of a video card, it runs just fine without it. Occasionally I do use an Adobe app or two, so maybe down the road I will go for a better card.

So this case should be plenty enough for me, and within budget. It should run really quiet, and I will have plenty space for expansion - the idea is to have a computer I can upgrade and keep it running for a few years.