DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   (semi)Turnkey Video Editing system in the $2K range +/- (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/485815-semi-turnkey-video-editing-system-2k-range.html)

Roger Lee October 7th, 2010 03:29 PM

(semi)Turnkey Video Editing system in the $2K range +/-

Any suggestions for a turnkey (expandable) system in the $2K price range?

I'm looking for a system I can use right out of the box and a system that I can add to as funds become available....a turnkey system that is expandable.

I'm willing to expand in these areas as funds become available.

(1) Ram memory

(2) Video card

(3) Sound card

(4) Video editing software..using Adobe Primiere Elements 8 now...works for me...since I've got pretty basic jobs but will go Adobe CS next time around whatever version.

(5) Hard drives.

What I don't want to mess with and have to expand at a later time:

(1) Motherboard(given I guess)

(2) Powersource

(3) Chipset = i.e. Intel 7 or Xeon etc.

(4) Cooling system(well....maybe)

(5) O.S. = currently I'm running Windows 7/64 bit and can work with that but want something that I can work with in the future.

I've owned a couple of Compaq systems, a couple of Dell Systems, an HP here and there...and a few proprietary systems when I worked in industry. All these systems probably ran me in excess of $25K over the years...starting 10 years ago.

I want something basic I can build on for the future. I want to spend $2K or so to start.

When I'm done I'll probably have several thousand $$$ in it but I want something for the future and something expandable.

Here's what I've got:

(1) XH A1(XF 300 in the future)
(2) HP video machine(off the shelf from Newegg) with 8 gb ram(I added 6 gigs and it's a mini-tower...I'll never do that again..mini tower that is)

Windows 7, 64 bit.

I spit my HD into Vista 32 bit and Windows 7, 64 bit but never use the Vista 32...truth is my Windows 7, 64 bit works fine with everything I've got.

This is what I am doing and want to continue to do:

(1) HD(read high def)
(2) SD(read std def)
(3) Upload SD and HD youtube and vimeo
(4) Burn SD and HD to disk.
(5) Actually have a system on my PC that allows me to watch downloaded video from my camera in real time.

O.K. enough rambling.....

What tower/desktop/box.... do I get...turnkey...that is expandable?

Tx.

Craig Coston October 7th, 2010 06:30 PM

I don't really know off hand without searching the internet, but I wanted to say that if you plan to go to a better NLE in the near future (within the lifespan of this computer), then figure out which one and spec based on that. Each NLE has it's own nuances when it comes to hardware. For example, if you are building a machine and want CS5 on it eventually you don't buy something with an ATI video card in it, you find an NVidia card compatible with MPE hardware acceleration. So yeah... figure out which way you want to go and then build for that even if you are going to be running Elements for the time being.

Randall Leong October 7th, 2010 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Coston (Post 1576633)
I don't really know off hand without searching the internet, but I wanted to say that if you plan to go to a better NLE in the near future (within the lifespan of this computer), then figure out which one and spec based on that. Each NLE has it's own nuances when it comes to hardware. For example, if you are building a machine and want CS5 on it eventually you don't buy something with an ATI video card in it, you find an NVidia card compatible with MPE hardware acceleration. So yeah... figure out which way you want to go and then build for that even if you are going to be running Elements for the time being.

True. Many of the GPU acceleration features of the prosumer NLEs support only NVIDIA GPUs (CUDA). And if you're going CS5, although most NVIDIA cards can work in MPE GPU mode with a hack, only a few of those GPUs are officially supported as of 5.0.2: GeForce GTX 285, GTX 470, Quadro FX 3800, FX 4800, FX 5800, Quadro CX, Quadro 4000 and 5000. Of those, the GTX 285 is now no longer in production while the GTX 470 is currently the least expensive official Adobe-certified GPU.

Also, don't buy any video card with less than 1GB of video memory or any amount of DDR2 video memory if you're going to use CS5: If a video card has too little available memory, you're stuck in software-only mode; if your chosen card has only DDR2 memory on it, then the performance might not be any better than if that same system were running CS5 in software-only mode. So, go with at least (G)DDR3 - or better still, GDDR5 - memory on the video card.