DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Recommendation for PC builder/site? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/489873-recommendation-pc-builder-site.html)

James Binder January 7th, 2011 04:39 PM

Recommendation for PC builder/site?

Any recommendations for a PC vendor that builds custom systems? I've come across this one and it appears they use pretty good components:

CyberPower PC. - Custom Built Gaming PC and Gaming Laptops

Does anyone have experience with them or can recommend a different company?

Not crazy about Dell or HP...

Thanks --

Sareesh Sudhakaran January 7th, 2011 11:05 PM

There are many vendors selling different types of machines...what are you going to use it for?

James Binder January 8th, 2011 07:49 AM

Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Randall Leong January 8th, 2011 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Binder (Post 1605438)
Any recommendations for a PC vendor that builds custom systems? I've come across this one and it appears they use pretty good components:

CyberPower PC. - Custom Built Gaming PC and Gaming Laptops

Does anyone have experience with them or can recommend a different company?

Not crazy about Dell or HP...

Thanks --

I'd recommend building it yourself, in this case. CyberPower and iBuyPower (two divisions of the same parent company) have been notorious for sloppy assembly quality. They often do not secure the components sufficiently to withstand shipping - and components often shake loose and/or fall off of their sockets during shipping, causing damage that's often severe enough to render them either DOA or not working properly when you receive the system.

Sareesh Sudhakaran January 9th, 2011 12:05 AM

My suggestion would be similar to Randall's - build your own machine. If you don't want to do that, try Boxx.

James Binder January 11th, 2011 01:02 PM

Thanks guys --

Anyone know of a good builder in the NYC/NJ area?

Panagiotis Raris January 11th, 2011 06:30 PM

no real need for a builder; i used to build custom PC's. what is your budget, which NLE and misc software will you be using, and what type of footage?

Greg Fiske January 11th, 2011 06:38 PM

Same advice as Randall. I bought from Cyberpower as the components end up being priced just as much as buying them separately. Their techs are not the best, and I had some components that were not connected correctly. Just reinspect what they do and you have a great system that will outlast anything from dell for the same price.

Mark Williams January 11th, 2011 10:07 PM

Try avadirect.com Great reputation and top of the line parts.

Tim Kolb January 12th, 2011 01:27 AM

I will probably be a BOXX customer forever...

The support is exceptional. The build quality of the machine is exceptional.

I'm currently about 18 months overdue to replace my workstation, but even after owning it for 4+ years, they still spend the time with me to assist me in a hardware change or OS upgrade.

I am not an elitist and I'm not implying that you can't build your own system successfully...I know however, that I don't have the time to acquire the knowledge and source the parts and test the system and do a burn in and all that stuff...I make videos for a living.

The money I invested (and no, they aren't inexpensive) in having these guys build a machine has paid for itself 10 times over.

James Binder January 13th, 2011 03:05 PM

Thanks guys for the additional replies.

I've given both cyberpower and avadirect.com a call. I am very impressed with avadirect. The person with whom I spoke over the phone was extremely helpful. Also, their prices are VERY close to the cost of the individual parts thru newegg.com. I'm not sure how they are able to do that.

I was considering buying the individual parts and having my local computer shop build it. But now I'm leaning toward using this company. Anybody see any reason not too? I was able to configure my system with exactly what I wanted, including brand, etc.

No, I don't work for the company -- just trying to build a solid new system without any headaches.

Thanks --