DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   My first PC build for video editing - any comments? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/508402-my-first-pc-build-video-editing-any-comments.html)

Halfdan J. Damskier June 10th, 2012 06:22 AM

My first PC build for video editing - any comments?

I would like to build a PC which is also capable of editing the more strenuous video formats like AVCHD and footage from DSLR cameras. First I considered simply buying a new PC here in Denmark, but after getting good advice, also in this forum, I have decided to assemble my own for maximum customization and flexibility. I'm not into computers, but the past month or so I've been researching and getting advice online, and I believe I've now found the parts which will make up my new computer. I'll most likely place my order in the next few days, but before I do so, I'd like to list the parts here, so you can comment on my build. Based on the advice I received in my last thread, which I link to at the bottom of this post, I'm sure my build will be able to handle the afforementioned video formats, but it's always nice with some feedback, and perhaps there is something I haven't thought of, like the Quick Sync feature, which I was made aware of in my last thread. In the last month I've edited two 10 minute AVCHD projects on my father's core i5 PC without any problems. However I've still chosen a core i7 for my build. I'm pretty much a beginner at video editing, but I'd like the PC to be enthisiast oriented, as I hope to grow in my skill level over time. I'll probably begin with Sony Vegas Movie Studio and perhaps upgrade to Sony Vegas Pro. I do know Movie Studio is 32bit.

Here are the parts:

Case: Antec Performance One P280
(A pretty quiet case with slots for 3 x 5,25" drives + 6 x 3,5" drives + 2 x 2½" SSD)
Antec P280 Silent Case Unboxing & First Look Linus Tech Tips - YouTube
Amazon.com: Antec P280 Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case: Electronics

PSU: Corsair HX1050
(More power that I need now. Chosen to make future expansions hassle free)
Corsair Professional Series HX1050 Review | techPowerUp
Amazon.com: Corsair Professional Series HX1050 80 Plus Silver Certified 1050-Watt Power Supply Compatible with Intel and AMD Platforms - CMPSU-1050HX: Electronics

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
(Among other features it has built in LucidLogix Virtu MVP, so I could use Quick Sync in supported software even if I have a discrete GPU installed. Thanks to Ron Evans for making me aware of Quick Sync! I also like the FanXpert function, the PLX switch chip, as well as the onboard eSata ports)
ASUS - Motherboards- ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE
ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE Motherboard | Hardware Secrets
Newegg TV: ASUS Z77 Motherboards Detailed - Mainstream Channel Boards - YouTube

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K

CPU Heat sink: Noctua NH-D14
Noctua NH-D14 Review - YouTube

RAM: 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX
(Will leave two RAM slots free for two additional 8 GB sticks if they should ever be needed. These RAM sticks also have a pretty low profile, which means they will fit underneath the Noctura heatsink unlike taller sticks with protruding cooling fins)

SSD as system disc: Sandisk Extreme 240GB
(I was worried about the SF-2281 controller, but Sandisk's custom firmware appears to be very stable based on preliminary reviews and user feedback on Amazon among other places)
SanDisk Extreme SSD Review | StorageReview.com - Storage Reviews
Amazon.com: SanDisk Extreme SSD 240GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive- SDSSDX-240G-G25: Computers & Accessories

I have some 1TB WD Black drives in external enclosures that I might build into this PC. I'm considering setting up an internal RAID1 mirror with two 3TB drives in the future.

GPU: ASUS ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5
ASUS ENGTX570 DirectCU II Video Card Review - Final Thoughts & Conclusions - Legit Reviews
Amazon.com: ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II graphics cards with dual-fan cooling performance, ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5: Electronics

Blu-ray/DVD-burner: LG BH10LS30 ( model no: BH10LS38.AUAR10B)
(Was difficult to choose, but this particular model has pretty good reviews on the UK Amazon site)

Monitor: Here I'm still pretty undecided though I'm leaning toward the Dell Ultrasharp U2410 which apparently also has support for Adobe RGB color space unlike the cheaper U2412M. I'm not into professional photography, so it's likely I wont use Adobe RGB, but it's a nice option to have. I know there are some other options out there from HP etc. but I haven't read up on those reviews yet. So advice on monitors in the 300-700 UDS price range is something I'd really appreciate.

Thanks for your help!

PS: here is my old thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-line...d-editing.html

Richard Davidson June 12th, 2012 08:36 AM

Re: My first PC build for video editing - any comments?

Your going to love the case as I have the Antec P183 and like your case much better. Cooling choices are many and you can get really good airflow in this line of Antec cases. The quality is great and makes an easy build. I have the same cpu cooler and think that does a great job, a little on the large size so make sure you have all the ram you want in the motherboard before mounting the cpu cooler.

Kawika Ohumukini June 12th, 2012 09:32 AM

Nice MB and the price is right. Jeez they can cram a lot on boards now. I might pick one up as a backup. Only thing I'd suggest is an external HD enclosure. I use ProRaid Raid+ with 4x 2TB WD Enterprise drives in Raid5 and connected with USB3.0. Once I'm done with a project I move it to the enclosure and if it's a client I'll also put it on BluRay and move it offsite. The enclosure goes in my safe when I'm out. GL with the new system.

Halfdan J. Damskier June 13th, 2012 10:25 AM

Thanks for your comments!
I ordered the parts today. Instead of the Corsair PSU, I ordered a Seasonic SS-1050XM as it is fully modular, and I was able to get it for only about 30 USD more than the Corsair. Other than that, I ordered the parts I listed in my first post.

@ Richard Davidson: Yes, also based on the reviews I've read the Antec P280 should be a good case. I've never seen it IRL though, so I'm glad you think I'll be happy with it :-) Yes, the combination of a quiet quality case with good airflow is one of the main reasons I chose to go with that particular model, other reasons being its large number of drive bays, easy cable routing and subdued appearance. Glad you like your Noctua NH-D14 and thanks, I'll remember to install the RAM before I mount the cooler.

@Kawika Ohumukini: Yes, I also hope that the motherboard will serve me well. Thanks for your tip on the ProRaid Raid+ enclosure. It sounds like you have a pretty solid backup plan. I didn't mention that I already have an older Fantec MR-35DUS2 enclosure running RAID1 with two 500 GB Samsung drives. I haven't used it much as I've been on a laptop the last 5 years where I have set up software to back up important data from one internal drive to the other. Of course I would still have lost my data, if I had lost the laptop, so I ought to have used the external enclosure anyway. I also had some problems with the Fantec. As far as I remember, it would not recognize my 1TB WD drives, which is why I had to revert to using my older Samsung drives for that enclosure. It seems the ProRaid enclosure is sold by Mediasonic in the US and by Fantec in Europe. I believe the enclosure you mentioned is one of these: FANTEC GmbH - USB3.0/ eSata I think I'll begin with an internal RAID solution and perhaps see if I can use of my old Fantec like you use your ProRaid device. Thanks for your input!

Kawika Ohumukini June 14th, 2012 08:48 AM

Sounds like you have everything covered. Enjoy the system. Cheers