DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Q6600 system worth keeping? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/509773-q6600-system-worth-keeping.html)

Les Nagy August 3rd, 2012 10:24 PM

Q6600 system worth keeping?

I don't usually ask others for this kind of advice as I consider myself in the know with computers. But I need some opinions on whether to keep an oldish workhorse running or let it go.

Q6600 Core2 Quad at 3.0GHz
8 GB Ram
NVidia GT275
Bluray burner

I currently have two notebooks, Asus G73 with i7-740, 8 GB, GTX460m with 2GB, bluray, and a new MSI GT70 with i7-3610m, 16GB, GTX675m with 4GB, bluray. Each of these have USB3.0 so adding external drives is almost at native speed.

So the question is; Is the old desktop system worth holding on to or just a waste of power and space?

I am open to opinions on this one for once.

Noa Put August 4th, 2012 01:27 AM

Re: Q6600 system worth keeping?

I replace my pc every 3-4 years and my wife gets my "old" pc each time, so last year she got a Q6600 which is mainly used for photoshop and surfing the net and for those tasks it's still doing very well. So unless you don't have the space for it such a pc can continue to be used for years to come if you want to have a separate internet pc or maybe to play some older games on. You could also use that pc to test new software or even as backup if your main editing pc dies.

Les Nagy August 4th, 2012 11:41 AM

I have more than the two notebooks listed. The ones I mentioned are the ones I use for editing. I really have no need for any "backup system". So it really comes down to is the system worth using or is it just time to let it go.

Noa Put August 4th, 2012 05:43 PM

Think you answered your own question, if you have no need for it, why even ask what to do with it?

Les Nagy August 4th, 2012 06:18 PM

Yeah, I see your point!

Chris Soucy August 4th, 2012 11:01 PM

Well, well, hi! brother, long time no speak.

Was starting to wonder if one of the earthquakes had done for you, obviously not.

Give us the low down in a mail if you have my address, lot of water under the bridge since we last conversed.

Oh, BTW, just sell it for what you can get, seems like it's passed its use by date already.

Regards,

CS

Sareesh Sudhakaran August 6th, 2012 09:00 PM

Les, you can use it purely as a rendering machine until it dies out.

Les Nagy August 9th, 2012 10:41 AM

Hi Chris. Yes I am alive and doing well. I have been doing well and doing some video but not much the past year. I am just gearing up to get going again and the computer taking up space became an issue.

Sareesh. Yes it could be used for a rendering farm setup so maybe I will put it temporary storage for the occasion I need it.

Panagiotis Raris December 15th, 2012 02:56 PM

you might be surprised how useful an older backup system can be. I have a Q6600 system as an emergency/rental system; rental fees have paid for 24GB RAM and a second PSU for my main system in the last 6 months.

Its a CS5 built system with an Intel 80GB SSD, 320GB total 4 disk RAID0 array, 9800GTX+ 1GB/Cuda Enabled card, and 1TB storage at 2.4Ghz with 8GB RAM.

My main rig is also CS5 built. I FINALLY got the random 3.3V drop fixed. I had low voltage issues off and on with the ARECA card.

Jack Zhang December 19th, 2012 02:42 PM

May be worth it if there is distributed rendering to do with your software, otherwise it'd be a good backup system.

The notebooks with integrated GPUs on the CPU usually are an issue since the high performance processor is a "co-processor" and not the primary GPU.

If you're willing to fork out for a desktop replacement laptop with LGA2011, that may be your best bet.