DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   PC Video editing software with multicam recommendation (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/510436-pc-video-editing-software-multicam-recommendation.html)

Robert Lee September 4th, 2012 10:09 AM

PC Video editing software with multicam recommendation

Hey everyone:

I just have a question that I could use your advice on. What PC editing software would you recommend
that offers multicam option (like FCP 7) that's easy to use and it's render time doesn't take too darn long? Avid? Adobe?

The reason I ask is that I'm getting pretty frustrated with the file format issues with FCP7 (I use NX5U) on a music documentary shoot I'm working on. And I've spent more time trying to get the mts files prep for FC7 to use only to find out it still have problems, I just want to be able to straight import the clips into the vid editing software to plug away. A fellow DVinfo member suggest giving PRO Res a whirl which I will, but I want to look at a contingency plan should I face the same problem. (I apolgize if my frustration and pessimism is showing, just formating problems have been a momentum killer with this project)

Robert

James E. Thomas September 4th, 2012 10:25 AM

Re: PC Video editing software with multicam recommendation

I use and would recommend Grass Valley Edius, You won't have any problem with mts files in multicam if you have a reasonably fast computer. You can give it a try by downloading the Edius 6.5 trial version. Lots of good info and help on the Edius form also. Grass Valley Forums

Mark Williams September 4th, 2012 10:57 AM

+1 for Edius

Ron Evans September 4th, 2012 11:58 AM

I too use Edius. All my projects are multicam with 4 or 5 AVCHD cameras. NX5U, SR11, XR500, CX700 and sometimes an EX3. I edit native files from all these cameras with no problems. Export using hardware encoding from an Ivy Bridge or Sandy bridge PC is very fast close to half realtime for Bluray compliant file that can be authored in Encore or DVD Architect 5.2. Edius also has its own disc authoring program included too but not as elaborate as a dedicated authoring program.

Ron Evans

Chris Barcellos September 4th, 2012 12:04 PM

Vegas has multicamera capability. I have used it to cut back and forth in a stage production. You lay out the tracks on the time line, and you can switch like a live show. Later you can change switch points. Here is a tutorial showing it working.

Ron Evans September 4th, 2012 12:19 PM

Yes I have Vegas 11 too and it is also capable but not as fast as Edius. In order of capability I would say Edius, Vegas then Premiere Pro CS6. CS6 needs to be set up correctly for temp files etc otherwise will send everything to the boot drive which slows everything down. Even configured across several fast drives it is not even close to the speed of Edius. My normal edit flow is Edius for video, Vegas for audio and either Encore or DVD Architect for disc authoring. All can use monitoring of the selected image in multicam mode on an external TV which can also be used for colour grading. I have the SParkHD card from GrassValley but will also work with Blackmagic card too. Edius is nice since in multicam one sees all the tracks on the timeline and those that are being muted. In and out of multicam is just a button click away and then fine tuning of edits can be done as needed. Finished tracks can be compressed to a single track for application of transitions etc as needed if that is the way one wished to work but all stay visible and can be enabled as needed. Very flexible.

Ron Evans

Mike Burgess September 4th, 2012 12:39 PM

Wow, I feel so elementary level: I can't even decipher, Ron, half the stuff you are talking about. I have two camcorders on shoots, and use either Pinnacle or Power Director to do my editing and final production. Is the production method you described produce that much better results? Do I have a lot to learn or what.

Mike

Ron Evans September 4th, 2012 01:28 PM

This is a Youtube training video that explains all that I mentioned about Edius Multicam. This was on a laptop but for me on a Sandy Bridge 2600K PC with 16G RAM I do not use proxy mode just native files.

Ron Evans

Mark Williams September 4th, 2012 02:26 PM

Excellent tutorial. It just doesn't get much simpler than this.

Robert Lee September 4th, 2012 04:05 PM

Ok, cool. One question I have for Edius is what's the big difference 6.5 version has over 5.5 and 6?

Robert

Noa Put September 4th, 2012 04:16 PM

+1 for edius as well, multicam doesn't get any easier and all in realtime with color correction on my I7 950.

Ron Evans September 4th, 2012 06:36 PM

6.5 is just the latest release. Main difference to 6.07, the last release is 3D editing and improvements to some of the other features.

Ron Evans

Chris Barcellos September 4th, 2012 07:03 PM

Try as many trial programs as you can, to see if the particular program meets your expectations. I did about a year ago.

If I recall right, like Premeire, the GUI for Edius is fairly restrictive. The thing I love about Vegas, is there are 4 or five ways to do something. Premieire and Edius seemed to me to be very restrictive, whereas Vegas has a lot of drag and drop capabilities, and is very intuitive in the processes. You can open a Windows folder, and drag right to Vegas time line or media bin.

In addition, Vegas, which in its infancy was actually a sound editing program, still has most of the sound editing capabilities there.

Vegas has made some changes that now open it up to the the major plug in companies too., Not sure if those are all there for Edius.

Last year I actually bought CS5 to get After Effects and other Adobe programs, but I rarely have used any of it as I always seem to be able to work out an edit plan in Vegas.

Ron Evans September 4th, 2012 08:19 PM

Chris is correct in terms of Vegas being easy to get files into Vegas from the explorer window that Premiere and Edius require those files to be put first into the media bins. Neither is much of a problem once you have done it once. Click in the bin and select file import is not complicated. However after that is done then drag and drop is very similar in all the programs. Both for content files as well as application of filters etc. With the present releases all of them have floating windows that can be arranged as one likes for different tasks and saved for future use. Also keyboard short cuts that can be set too. I have 2 Dell 24" displays and also use a Shuttle ProV2 controller. I have all the programs set up so they respond the same way to the controller and in the main look much the same on the monitors.

I also started using Vegas when it was purely an audio editing program . It has by far the best audio integration. Also now use it as my audio editor( with Sound Forge) and since NewBlu titler is included also use for that too. Vegas also has the advantage of being able to set and name markers in the timeline for export to DVD Architect to be used as chapter is a DVD or Bluray. Same functionality exists in CS6 too. Edius has its own disc authoring too but not as good as DVD Architect or Encore by a long way. None of them are perfect that is why I have them all !!!

Adobe suite has the advantage of close integration with all the other Adobe programs like Photoshop, Encore or AE. These being the main reason for getting CS6 as I really don't use Premiere much preferring Edius or Vegas. Edius does have plug in support from a lot of the usually companies like NewBlu etc.

Purely on multicam Edius is the fastest and easiest as you can see from the demo link I posted. Authoring I do mainly in DVD Architect since it has good audio waveform if one needs that to find chapter points to set. Encore doesn't have audio waveform for example ( or at least I have not found a way of displaying audio waveforms) But Encore does have excellent integration with AE and Photoshop for elaborate menu creation not possible with the others.

Like Chris has advised download the trials and play for yourself. The forums of the individual programs are full of people willing to give advice on problems you may have in doing something.

Ron Evans

Mike Burgess September 5th, 2012 04:43 PM

OK, after watching the clip, I can see the advantages. See, I can still learn.

Thanks, Ron for the clip.

Mike