DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   built-in SATA RAID controller or card? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/510579-built-sata-raid-controller-card.html)

Larry Secrest September 9th, 2012 12:56 PM

built-in SATA RAID controller or card?

Hello,

If I ever choose to go the RAID way, should I go with the mobo built-in SATA RAID controller or buy a card?
Just in case it helps I have the Asus PX79WS in mind for mobo
Thanks

Andrew Smith September 9th, 2012 06:04 PM

Re: built-in SATA RAID controller or card?

I prefer to have an external RAID5 enclosure such as those made by Stardom. With the hard drives outside the computer box, it negates the heat issues from extra drives. Bring made of very solid aluminium, a 4 drive unit on the floor (connected by eSATA) also doubles as a handy foot rest.

Andrew

Sareesh Sudhakaran September 9th, 2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Secrest (Post 1752308)
Hello,

If I ever choose to go the RAID way, should I go with the mobo built-in SATA RAID controller or buy a card?
Just in case it helps I have the Asus PX79WS in mind for mobo
Thanks

It depends on what RAID you want, and what kind of performance you are looking for.

Choices are:
1. Software RAID - great for RAID 0 or 1
2. Mobo RAID - great for less number of drives and NAS
3. Fake RAID - great for simple RAIDs that aren't mission critical
4. Hardware RAID - all mission critical stuff - the range goes from cheap to extremely expensive

Hope this helps.

Chris Soucy September 10th, 2012 12:14 AM

It isn't even that simple............

When I had this machine built, the MoBo had two different Raid controller chips on board, a 4 channel Silicon Image and a 4 channel NVidia.

The first build used the Silicon Image chip (two 250 gig mirrored C drives, two 500 gig striped D drives), and it ran like a complete dog, the I/O specs were utterly woefull.

Build two used the NVidia chip, and it ran like a rocket, double the throughput of the Silicon Image chip.

Exit SI chip permanently, gotta watch those chipsets, they're dangerous territory.

CS

Giroud Francois September 10th, 2012 12:30 PM

if you use raid5, you need to take care that Raid5 is very finnicky about controller and bios.
if your motherboard dies, there are chance you won't be able to find the same one.
and there are chances you won't be able to rebuild your drive array.
If you take a controller, you will get probably better performance and more chance youre raid array will work into another computer if you transplant both drives and controller.
if you use simple raid 1 or 0 this could be easier.

Larry Secrest September 13th, 2012 06:49 AM

Thanks for your suggestions. Yes, those guys at Videoguys nicely forget to tell you how finnicky Raid5 is.

Andrew Smith September 13th, 2012 06:54 AM

I got my Stardom RAID5 unit from Videoguys and I haven't found the RAID to be finicky at all. It just works.

Andrew

Harm Millaard September 16th, 2012 04:57 AM

Some general remarks about the various raid options:

Motherboard raid: Perfectly acceptable performance for raid0/1, but a complete disaster for parity raids (raid5) because of the CPU overhead and very sluggish rebuild times.

External raid: With a small number of disks (up to four) and an eSATA connection, the effective sustained transfer rate is limited to around 280 MB/s maximum, so it is useless to create a large external array.

Dedicated controller: Costly, but it is very easy to achieve sustained transfer rates over 1000 MB/s, rebuild times are the best for all raid levels and the cache memory can be expanded for improved performance on a select number of cards.

As always, you get what you pay for. Whether you need all that speed depends on the source material and the editing style.

On the Adobe Premiere Pro Hardware forums there are a few articles about Raids and Rebuild issues that may be of interest. Start in the FAQ section.

Another interesting piece may be http://ppbm7.com/index.php/intro-part-1 about building a new system with the P9X79 WS motherboard.

Andrew Smith September 16th, 2012 05:51 AM

Okay .... hands up those of us who need sustained data transfer rates of more than 280MB/sec?

Andrew

Harm Millaard September 16th, 2012 06:30 AM

I do. A simple 7 track timeline, of which only a single track was RED 4K and the rest was MXF 422, XDCAM and AVCHD required more than 300 MB/s. If you add a second track of RED or EPIC material, you will need way more.

Sareesh Sudhakaran September 18th, 2012 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Smith (Post 1753665)
Okay .... hands up those of us who need sustained data transfer rates of more than 280MB/sec?

Andrew

I'm tinkering with the idea of building a 1 GB/s RAID 10 array for a personal project.

Andrew Smith September 18th, 2012 07:02 AM

LOL. Show-off! :-P

Andrew

Sareesh Sudhakaran September 18th, 2012 11:36 PM

I'll show off when I've built it!!

Andrew Smith September 19th, 2012 12:11 AM

Don't forget the photos.

Andrew

Gerald Webb January 16th, 2013 11:52 PM

I thought I'd post here rather than starting a new thread.
Some advice would save me a lot of Googling.
Im looking for a Raid card to take 4 internal 1TB sata drives to make 2 x 2TB arrays. (6 inputs would be nice but not a necessity)
I need to be able to use the arrays in Windows and Mac. (my fake raid Adaptec 1430SA is fine for performance in Windows, but has no Mac drivers)
Only need Raid 0 and JBOD.
Really looking for something just like my GRaid external enclosure, shows up to either OS as one big drive, but to be internal.
Any help appreciated.