DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Converting HDV TO MOV h.264 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/511267-converting-hdv-mov-h-264-a.html)

John Gerard October 9th, 2012 12:39 PM

Converting HDV TO MOV h.264

Hi,
I am not sure the best place to post this question. I have the Sony FX-7 camera and the Canon 60D DSLR camera. I also have the ipad3 using the Pinnacle Studio App to do all my editing now. It is quite powerful. I can take the footage directly from my canon 60D and import it directly into the ipad3 runs pretty much with out lagging. Great.
Check out my Youtube Channel "capturetheball" for videos I have created 100% on the ipad. I also got the new Hyperdrive UDMA2 to store all my footage. A review is also on my channel.
Well, on to my question.
I wat to convert all my HDV footage to iPad MOV comparable files and edit my movies on the ipad. I also have VHS-C video tapes from an old Panasonic Palmcoder that I also would like to convert. I have a Dell PC.
I also have Adobe Premiere Pro CS5. What is the best conversion software for the PC I should buy that will produce high quality output and is fairly simple to use interface?
My Sony camera records at 1440x1080i I think, so what conversion format should I use?

Thanks,
John Gerard

Reid Vanvoris October 9th, 2012 07:49 PM

Re: Converting HDV TO MOV h.264

try using the Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro HDMI and Analog Editing BINTSPRO ($189) on your Dell with Premiere Pro. This is good for your FX-7, 60D,and Panasonic Palmcorder.

if you are using a lot of palmcoder footage (vhs-c) you can down convert your hd footage from your 60d and fx7 to sd using a freeware called mpeg streamclip (google it).

if you are mixing a little vhs-c with the hd, try red giant software instant hd 1.2 to up-rez the vhs-c to hd. never as good as native hd, but best you can do. you can buy it as a student for $49

John Gerard October 22nd, 2012 10:41 PM

I have the black magic intensity pro card. After upgrading my Dell to a CUDA graphics card I lost the slot for it. I have another external device I can quite remember the name that I can convert my VHS-C stuff to DV format. I don't have to mix formats, HDV and DV together or HDV and DSLR footage. I just want to convert VHS-C and HDV formats over to MOV format for the ipad. I am going to try a few test clips and see if Adobe Media Coder can do it before buying more expensive software.

John Gerard

John Gerard November 2nd, 2012 01:31 PM

Update:
I tried Adobe media encoder using the options MOV Apple QuickTime format which is only for standard definition 480 resolution. I also tried the Blu-ray H2 64 option but as that is not a Apple QuickTime format that did not work. I was surprised that the MOV QuickTime 480 format didn't work as well. I am surprised with Apple if they make all the QuickTime formats that they're not all standardized and work with the iPad I love Apple products the iPad and the iPhone but when it comes to their software I think they need to do a much better job. Quick time should be standardized so it will work with the iPad no matter what platform you're using it on. :-(
I have the Canopus external device that connects using FireWire to my computer to import my footage from the palmcorder VHS-C tapes. I need a software solution to convert the vhs-c footage which is captured as DV footage and my HDV footage converted to Apple QuickTime format that'll work on the iPad.

Any suggestions,

John Gerard