DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   SSD choice? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/518495-ssd-choice.html)

Renat Zarbailov August 23rd, 2013 05:04 PM

SSD choice?

I was curious if anyone can recommend an SSD hard drive for editing.

Currently my editing laptop has the C: drive - 120GB Intel 510 Series Solid State Drive (SSD2 Serial-ATA III). My "editing" drive is G: Western Digital WD Scorpio Black 750 GB SATA 3 GB/s 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache Internal.

So far editing footage on the WD drive using Premiere Pro CS6 has been OK but I was curious if anyone in the community can recommend an SSD drive to replace it to achieve faster renders and overall speed.

I did some research and discovered that there are two drives that match the speed/reliability/capacity I'm looking for. It the Crucial M500 960GB (MLC) and the Samsung 840 500GB (not the PRO edition) (TLC).

I hear TLC vs MLC is much slower but somehow Samsung got it to be fast.

Here is the Samsung 840 500GB stats:
Sequential Read 530 MB/s
Sequential Write 330 MB/s

Here is Crucial M500 960GB stats:
Sequential Read 500 MB/s
Sequential Write 400 MB/s

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Jeffrey Stafford May 1st, 2014 06:20 PM

Re: SSD choice?

Hi Renat,

I doubt you could go wrong with either one of those SSDs. Here is another one to consider. Newegg.com - Corsair Neutron Series GTX 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) It mentions it's good for video editing, so I guess that's a plus. You can get them in various sizes, the link is to the 120GB version.

I currently have a Samsung 128GB Pro SSD as my OS drive, I've not done any video editing on it, though. I will most likely invest in another SSD when I start to edit my mini DV tapes.

Anyway, best of luck with your decision.

Yi Fong Yu July 30th, 2014 01:00 PM

i'm biased but Samsung is the complete mfr of everything while everyone else still has to source various parts.

they've also hit the 'theoretical' limits of SATA standard with the latest 850 series release. it's insane how fast their drivers are compared to all the rest

Plus their magician tool is the best. i've used every brand out there and nothing comes close to their own utility.

Harm Millaard August 23rd, 2014 05:56 AM

See this recent comparison: PNY Optima 240GB SSD Review - A Low Cost SSD for the Mainstream at $90 - Benchmarks - Sequential Performance

Samsung 840 Pro is still the best choice. Note the EVO is way slower. Still have to see a comparison between the 840 and 850 though.

If you have the time to wait a bit, NVM PCIe-4x Gen3 is the way of the future for real fast SSD implementations.

From Tweakers Page - Disk Setup

The intended successor to the SATA bus is NVM Express, an acronym for non-volatile memory (Host Controller Interface) express. As the acronym implies, NVME was specifically designed and built for solid state memory. The standard uses PCI-Express interconnects, leading to scalability. With only a single PCI-e lane a NVME connected SSD already has nearly a gigabyte per second of bandwidth, compared to 600 megabytes per second SATA. With several lanes, NVME reaches a multiple of the SATA interconnect bandwidth. For more background on this new interface, see NVM Express.

This may also be of interest. 2.35 TB capacity with 2.93 GBps R and 2.44 GBps W: HP 2410GB Multi Level Cell G2 PCIe ioDrive2 Duo