DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   GPU question - Quadro or GTX? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/522046-gpu-question-quadro-gtx.html)

Sam Renkin March 5th, 2014 02:42 PM

GPU question - Quadro or GTX?

Graphics card advise, please.

I am upgrading my editing PC from a first-gen Core i7-920 to a fourth-gen Core i7-4770 with 16GB ram. I'll continue to use Windows 7 and Vegas Pro 11/Boris Continuum with a single 1920 x 1080 monitor, external drives connected by eSATA.

I'm currently using a Geforce GTX 650, which is a 2-year old CUDA-enabled card. Compared to others in the Geforce line it's not a top performer. I'd like to upgrade the card to something that maintains preview frame rates in HQ mode, and offers GPU support for rendering graphics. While Sony recommends almost any CUDA-enabled graphics card, Boris is more specific: they like the Quadro series (600, 2000, 4000 and 5000).

Can anyone shed some light on the advantages/disadvantages of a Quadro K2000D vs. Geforce GTX 680 or 770? They're both in the same price range.

Thanks!

Sam

Harm Millaard March 5th, 2014 04:50 PM

Re: GPU question - Quadro or GTX?

ONLY if you need 10 bit output to costly 10 bit monitors can the Quadro be considered. In ALL other cases it is a waste of money. See Tweakers Page - What Video Card to use?
I realize this was written from a Premiere Pro perspective, but I guess Vegas is not much different. IMO the GTX 760 is all you need, anything more is a waste of money and overkill with that CPU and limited memory.

If you want to spend money on a system with the i7-4770, first get the 4770K, which is unlocked, can be overclocked easily, then increase memory to 32 GB and then, as a last resort, go from the 650 to the 760, but don't expect miracles from that upgrade.

The K2000 is around 25% slower than your current 650, but costs around 5 times more. Not a wise investment I think. Unless you NEED the 10 bit output.

Sam Renkin March 6th, 2014 03:43 PM

Harm - thanks for your wisdom. You cleared up some of the vague aspects of GPU computing.

I'm moving forwards with a Core i7-4770 Dell XPS. I got a cheaper config knowing that I will add my own RAM, video card, SSD. and Blu ray burner. The Dell has 4 DIMM slots, and comes with 2 x 4GB sticks. I'm adding 2 x 8GB sticks for a total of 24GB, as well as a 600W PSU and an eSATA III PCI card for external drives. I've also ordered an EVGA Geforce GTX 760 with a base clock speed of 1072mhz, 2GB of memory and dual cooling fans.

I think I worked a good deal - with a discount coupon, the Dell was $725 (with Windows 7, not 8). The 600w PSU, 16GB RAM, eSATA card, Blu-Ray burner, and GTX 760 add $530. Total build: $1,255.00

Rob Taylor March 6th, 2014 09:30 PM

The reason you are not getting good performance with the GTX650 is Sony Vegas 11 & 12 do not work correctly with the Kepler series of video cards. So do not buy any GTX 600 or 700 series of video cards. Don't but any Quadro K series either since they are based off of the Kepler design.

If you Google Sony Vegas forums and go to Sony's forums under the Vegas Pro section you can read a ton of posts about it.

You will be better off with an AMD video card as they are better supported in Vegas.

Sam Renkin March 6th, 2014 10:50 PM

Well it's a good thing I've not ordered the card yet - I was going to see how the system works with my existing GTX 650 first.

Harm Millaard March 7th, 2014 05:37 AM

Sam,

You can disregard my mention of the i7-4770K, since all Dell (and HP for that matter) are not over-clockable, due to the limited BIOS capabilities.

Be aware that you normally can not install a PSU from any other brand than Dell, because of the slightly different dimensions and cabling that are typical for all Dell computers. If you have the option to start with 2 x 8GB memory sticks, choose that and later add a second set to get 32 GB. That will assure you that your two memory banks are identical and prevent problems that may occur from mixing different sizes of sticks.

Sam Renkin March 8th, 2014 04:29 PM

Regarding the PSU - I replaced the OEM Dell PSU in my Studio XPS with a standard issue Corsair 600w model without any problems whatsoever, so I'm hopeful the same will be true for the 8700.