DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Formula for scrolling titles speed (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/528465-formula-scrolling-titles-speed.html)

Vince Pachiano May 19th, 2015 06:45 AM

Formula for scrolling titles speed

Is there a standard formula for the speed of scrolling titles (i.e. credits).
I can certainly burn test-copies to a disc and then see what "looks" right,
but it seems to me there must be some standard, some formula like (# of words X some factor)

Rob Cantwell May 19th, 2015 08:03 AM

Re: Formula for scrolling titles speed

it's sorta like - how long is a piece of string?
Some credits you might want to zip along fast others you might want to go along slowly.

All depends on how much info is in the title i guess, I always just drag the title and check it on the timeline for readability and reduce opacity at both ends so it can fade in and out

Ed Roo May 19th, 2015 08:09 AM

Somewhere in the past I remember reading something that said you should be able to read it twice before it moves to the next action. So that's how I time the ones I use.

Jeff Pulera May 19th, 2015 09:59 AM

Why do you have to burn a disc to check it, can't you check it in the NLE software preview? Or are you concerned about flicker with interlaced video?

Thanks

Vince Pachiano May 19th, 2015 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Pulera (Post 1887024)
Why do you have to burn a disc to check it, can't you check it in the NLE software preview? Or are you concerned about flicker with interlaced video?

Thanks

When I'm about to burn 100 Blu-Rays, I like to watch it first on an actual output device. There are some things that you miss when watching the NLE preview.

p.s. I have Blu-Ray R/W discs that I use over-and-over for this.

Roger Gunkel May 20th, 2015 08:32 AM

My own rules for credit speeds are very simple -- does the client want to sit and read them or are they there out of convention/legal requirement and for the record. If the latter, such as most corporate work, then I make them slow enough to be able to read them rapidly, rather like TV show credits. For weddings/drama productions etc, people love to see their own or their kids names, so I make them slow enough to read all the names comfortably plus a bit slower still for slower readers.

Roger

Gary A. Smith May 20th, 2015 07:02 PM

I usually get my partner to proof my work as she reads slower than me. You can make it too fast if you do it yourself because you know what is coming and naturally read it faster.