DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Video Card Suggestion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/52891-video-card-suggestion.html)

Hugh DiMauro October 17th, 2005 11:48 AM

Video Card Suggestion

I am in the market to upgrade my current video card. I am not using HDV or HD as of yet. I've seen a few cards out there that look good but I don't want overkill or to buy a card that is better for gaming.

I definitely want PCI Express.
I definitely want 512 MB.

Now, let's hear some make and model suggestions. I am using a Dell with dual 3.0 ghz Xeons, 2 gig of dual channel RAM, 2 mb of L2 cache.

Thanks.

John L Scott October 30th, 2005 09:47 PM

Shishhhhhhh

There's just not a lot of info on capture cards here. I have been reading for several hours and searching posts and still no where.... There has to be some one out there that has a link or an answer. I plan on spending $500.. to $1000 on my next card but not $7,999.00 on the IgniterRT 311 - (AKA, Igniter "Studio". Bundles Igniter 111 with SDI, AES/EBU and Film Card)
Shishhhhhhh I just wanna have fun!!!!!!! ;) Later---> John

Glenn Chan October 31st, 2005 12:15 AM

John, a $25 firewire card is probably ideal for you if you want to capture miniDV.
The transfers are lossless (for the video portion) and do not suffer from generation loss like the really expensive capture cards you're looking at.

Those capture cards capture either component (analog, definitely generation loss) or SDI (digital; very slight generation loss in some cases, sometimes it has workflow advantages).

2- Hugh:
Why exactly do you want a better video card? Are you having problems with your current system?
What programs are you running?

John L Scott November 6th, 2005 11:28 PM

Yea I know Glenn :(
I have read enough to know now I really need to update my camera... Just takes puttin in some overtime and stop e-Bay'n ;) Thanks

As far as video cards I went from a 8500 to a X700 and it didn't seem to help on rendering but the games are better!!!

George Ellis November 8th, 2005 09:05 AM

Hugh, most things in our world do not benefit from that much video memory (Avid Liquid doing 1080i may be the exception). But, if you want 512MB, you need a Wildcat or the soon released nVidia 7800GTX 512. That card is around $650. The Wildcat is more.

Dale Guthormsen November 20th, 2005 10:12 PM

cards

I just went through the exact issue on cards. I run adobe with two monitors and I opted for a 256mb Nividia gforce card. I got the 6200 instead of the 6600 and so far it does everything i need. The 6600 I was told was better for gaming. It also makes a difference which company manufactures them. the reviews can be found easily and one make constantly stands out with less problems, seems to me it was xf or some abreiviation like that, chain teck had the worst rap sheet.

Gus

Patrick Veal December 6th, 2005 09:20 AM

a quick one...

does anyone know if I can capture video from my pd170 onto a graphics card which does not have DV in? Can you capture DV using the S-video input? Can i run the signal through from the composites to s-video in? or any other way. It's an Nvidea FX5600 128 mb card, with s-video input. I would try it myself but I haven't got access to the computer yet and would like to know before i waste someone's time. Thanks, another sheepish message by someone in awe of all the brainiacs that fly around this site.

Glenn Chan December 6th, 2005 06:24 PM

Patrick, get a $25 firewire card- that will give you the best quality and make your life easy.

Patrick Veal December 6th, 2005 11:39 PM

Thanks for the advice Glenn. Would you have a good recommendation for firewire card? I see some firewire cards have real-time effects and are are OHCI-compliant should I consider these options before i buy as I don't mind rendering time and am not going to be using so many effects? I am in South Korea and I have to do most of my 'window shopping' in forums and on websites, a big sifting job. I've ordered from B-H photo a few times to here and my Korean friends could possibly help me get a card in country. I will be using Adobe Premier. Just need the obvious pointed out to me from time to time. Thanks. Patrick

Pat Sherman December 9th, 2005 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Ellis
Hugh, most things in our world do not benefit from that much video memory (Avid Liquid doing 1080i may be the exception). But, if you want 512MB, you need a Wildcat or the soon released nVidia 7800GTX 512. That card is around $650. The Wildcat is more.

I installed my 7800GTX 512 two days ago.. It's pretty nice I use a 2405FPW 24" LCD with it and it works fine in my RTX suite.. But it's super duper doobly cool for BattleField 2..:)

Jeremy Hughes December 9th, 2005 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Ellis

Dont have a PCI Express board so I had to stick with AGP but in November just upgraded my system with a Wildcat Realizm 100 with the 256MB. I chose it over the 512MB 200 due to a couple 3D reviews and some other opinions that said the 512 wouldnt be a huge difference. I was able to pick up that card for a little over $550. Another nice option with it is it has optimization settings for loads of programs including MAya, 3ds, after effects, premiere pro, combustion and a ton more. If still stuck in AGP land - this is a great card.

A solid option for PCIe is looking into the dual card configs that Nvidia and ATI have out now to take advantage of the price for performance.

George Ellis December 9th, 2005 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat Sherman
I installed my 7800GTX 512 two days ago.. It's pretty nice I use a 2405FPW 24" LCD with it and it works fine in my RTX suite.. But it's super duper doobly cool for BattleField 2..:)

BF2 is the other application that benefits from 512 and 2GB of RAM ;)

It is the fastest, single card out at the moment under about $5000, barely... (j/k, but street is above $600 for it.)