DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   SD Readers in 2020 for 256GB V30 rating - USB3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/537577-sd-readers-2020-256gb-v30-rating-usb3.html)

Charlie Ross September 7th, 2020 05:44 PM

SD Readers in 2020 for 256GB V30 rating - USB3

I just got a Sony FDR-AX700 a month ago and chose for SD cards - Kingston Canvas Go! Plus. Partial specs: 170 MB/s and a V30 rating.

My existing readers do not recognize these cards and my homework leads to the them being too old in tech' to recognize UHS-II cards. For now I plug in the camcorder directly which is not recommended as a habit.
For speed with that direct method, I just transferred 10 GB in total of 8 clips and it took 5 minutes. There looked to be some pauses in progress too. I'm supposing the readers can do better.

I'm looking for a reader to plug into USB 3 Type 1 on my PC and give fast reliable transfer via Sony Catalyst Browse. My issue is a lot of the reviews are clearly not people who bought them and bench marked them. Or I check Amazon and the "top" models are discontinued and there are enough negative reviews by real users to make me hesitate. e.g. Kingston Elitemobile was very fast but the aluminum case heats up too hot to touch long enough to remove it.

Any users have a tried and true full size SD reader that is still a currently available model and won't break the bank? I would look at Type C connections because the adapters Type 1 to C are only a few dollars.Thanks.

Andrew Smith September 11th, 2020 05:48 PM

Re: SD Readers in 2020 for 256GB V30 rating - USB3

I remember when we used to watch a standard definition ingest and sweat over whether there would be any dropped frames or not.

Andrew

Steve Game September 15th, 2020 02:40 AM

Re: SD Readers in 2020 for 256GB V30 rating - USB3

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie Ross (Post 1960861)
I just got a Sony FDR-AX700 a month ago and chose for SD cards - Kingston Canvas Go! Plus. Partial specs: 170 MB/s and a V30 rating.

My existing readers do not recognize these cards and my homework leads to the them being too old in tech' to recognize UHS-II cards. For now I plug in the camcorder directly which is not recommended as a habit.
For speed with that direct method, I just transferred 10 GB in total of 8 clips and it took 5 minutes. There looked to be some pauses in progress too. I'm supposing the readers can do better.

I'm looking for a reader to plug into USB 3 Type 1 on my PC and give fast reliable transfer via Sony Catalyst Browse. My issue is a lot of the reviews are clearly not people who bought them and bench marked them. Or I check Amazon and the "top" models are discontinued and there are enough negative reviews by real users to make me hesitate. e.g. Kingston Elitemobile was very fast but the aluminum case heats up too hot to touch long enough to remove it.

Any users have a tried and true full size SD reader that is still a currently available model and won't break the bank? I would look at Type C connections because the adapters Type 1 to C are only a few dollars.Thanks.

I have been using this for over 3 years to retrieve video from a GH5 on San Disk V30 cards:

I purchased mine in the UK where it is sold as this:

It has been reliable for both full sized SD cards and micro SD types and the three USB3 sockets are handy for connecting pocket drives and SSDs in Atomos caddys (using a Sabrent SATA adaptor) without reaching around the back of the workstation.