DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Adobe video editing vs. Avid Xpress Pro (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/54418-adobe-video-editing-vs-avid-xpress-pro.html)

Georg Liigand November 15th, 2005 08:39 AM

Adobe video editing vs. Avid Xpress Pro

Hello!

I'm currently editing everything in Premiere Pro and am quite advanced in it. It's a good programme, but there are still things which I don't like.

I found out that as a student I have an opportunity to get Avid Xpress Pro for quite low price and therefore it really took my attention, because I want to move towards more professional videomaking all the time and Avid is indeed the pro solution. What I especially like are all the included features of Avid (DVD authoring, image stabilising, effects, automated functions etc).

Do you think it's worth the change and is Avid so much better? And finally, is it a lot different from Premiere, is the conversion complicated?

Thanks a lot!

Richard Alvarez November 15th, 2005 09:45 AM

Georg,
I cut on Avid Xpress Pro, and I'm happy with it. Having said that, only you can decide if changing paths is worth it to you.

If you are happy with Premiere, and can do everything you want with it, than my advice is to stay.

AVID, like Premiere, sells its suite as a bundle. The DVD authoring is basically SOnic repackaged to work with Avid. It's great though. Its FX and other apps are good as a suite too.

The learning curve from Premiere to AVID can be quite steep, and therefore frustrating. Understanding that AVID comes from a FILM paradigm, and not a VIDEO paradigm can help. But if you've never shot or cut film, it can seem counter intuitive. If you think learning a new skill set will advance your career, than by all means do so. But you should also learn other apps as well. The more you can do, the more you WILL do.

(Why not download "Avid Free DV" for free from their website, and see how you like the workflow. It's a very stripped down version, not much more powerful than windows moviemaker, but it will give you a chance to see how the interface works.)

Neil Camero November 15th, 2005 12:13 PM

i've worked hundreds of hours in premiere and it's not that bad of a program that everyone makes it to be. at my school we use both avid and fcp. fcp made sense jumping into. avid on the other hand wasn't that easy of a transition. menus didn't work as i expected it would. the gui feels retro and i think it needs an update or a skin to look like a windows app...don't shoot me. ;P i know how to use avid after my editing techniques 2 (of 3) class, and watching the like a pro avid training dvds, but it's not something i would use to edit my own projects.

i personally don't like avid. i took advantage of the student discount as well but bought sony vegas to use for everything and love working in it. i wish the industry didn't push avid so much and call it "pro" work. i don't think anyone watching could tell the difference if a movie's cut in premiere, or avid. avid is good to know and learn, but don't force yourself to use it. use what works for you... that is unless you plan on becoming an editor in the industry.

Matt Brabender November 15th, 2005 04:18 PM

I don't think switching NLE's will help refine your workflow, or make what you do more professional - it will just seem different for a while.
Do it if you want to cut for major films or work in broadcast, but otherwise, I think you'd only be spending time relearning what you already know.

Richard Alvarez November 15th, 2005 05:17 PM

Georg,

Like others have said, unless you plan to move into professional broadcasting and FILM making, I don't see a pressing need to change. Not sure what the business is like in Estonia... what do they cut on in the production houses there?

Frederic Segard November 15th, 2005 09:21 PM

I have a to agree!

For some nice insight, read this:
http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/a...e.jsp?id=25873

Pat Sherman November 16th, 2005 06:51 AM

I agree..I've cut on Avid, Premiere, Vegas, Pinnacle Liquid.. I use only Premiere now, because that's what I started with and I don't have the time to switch over totally to another NLE. Avid is nice and alot of nice features that Premiere lacks. But like Richard said, if it works for you stick with it.. The learning curves are steep and while most simple processes will be somewhat familiar anything beyond that RTFM.. :)

Georg Liigand November 16th, 2005 09:29 AM

Thanks a lot for the good information! The article is also interesting.

I think I should then stick with Adobe right now and maybe get Avid later to see what it provides. I believe Premiere is also quite professional and can handle most of the things I need.

Richard: Here they also use Avid a lot, but I know that Pinnacle Liquid Edition is used in some companies as well. Not heard of Premiere, but maybe they have it.

By the way, how much would it cost to set up a Mac based editing system with Final Cut Pro? I know pretty much nothing about Apples.

Stephen Finton November 16th, 2005 12:53 PM

I'd only switch to AVID if I had to collaborate with someone who uses it. Nobody's going to know what you are using if you do all the editing. It's only when you have to share a project with someone that things get complicated.

Richard Alvarez November 16th, 2005 02:28 PM

Georg,

Pinnacle was just acquired by AVID, so it's all "Avid" now.

Cost of Mac system and FCP? Sky's the limit if you add on extras. Depends on if you are going with an Imac or the latest and greatest. Besides, US dollar prices won't mean much to you, will they? I'd say you could get into a MAC system with FCP 5 for... four to five grand, and be happy with it.

Georg Liigand November 16th, 2005 02:32 PM

Sounds very expensive... I think it would be out of question for me at least in the near future. PC software probably does the job just as well too, doesn't it?

Matt Brabender November 16th, 2005 03:57 PM

Yes
You wouldn't really be gaining anything by switching to FCP on a mac, the same as you wouldn't really be gaining anything by switching NLE's on your PC.

I see it like this - it's like buying a pair of trainers - it doesn't matter so much which brand you choose - Nike, or Addidas, or Puma, or Fila, or New Balance, it's still your legs that have to do the running.