DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Win2k Editing/Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/71164-win2k-editing-acquisition.html)

Joshua Jackson July 9th, 2006 06:13 PM

Win2k Editing/Acquisition

I've been using avid on winxp, but I really don't like xp (I'm an nt4 guy). I've used win2k for years and been very pleased with it, so it is by far my operating system of choice. Aside from Premiere 6.5 and Vegas, are there any worthwhile programs that I can look at for nle and/or capture over firewire? If there's something that I could use just to rip the dv then that would be a start.
I really don't like p65 and vegas, because they are so painfully slow and there is no multicam editing. I could live without the multicam, but the speed is horrible.
JJ

Christopher Lefchik July 9th, 2006 09:51 PM

As long as you have the recommended system specs for the NLE you are using, your computer shouldn't be painfully slow. I suggest looking at the Videoguys' Windows XP Tips, tricks & TWEAKS and Windows XP TWEAKS / Optimization for Video Editing Systems – PART II.

As for multicam editing, United Media Multicam is available for Adobe Premiere (I believe it may still support Premiere 6.5, but you would have to check with the company to make sure), and for Vegas there are at least two multicam editing scripts available: Merlin and Excalibur.

And just wondering, but what is it about Windows XP that you don't like, as opposed to Windows 2000?

Joshua Jackson July 9th, 2006 10:27 PM

I've done xp optimizations and I've even set it up to function like win2k. The problem stems from Premiere's/Vegas's having to render everything, or something like that (especially when working with mpg's). Maybe working with uncompressed avi's is better. I haven't done any of that, as I didn't have a dv camera until now.
I can't really explain why I don't like xp except to give an example...
When I got my first computer (packard bell 100mhz) it came with windows 3.11 and we received a free win95 upgrade when it came out. I enjoyed 3.11 but man I was looking forward to 95. It was released and I upgraded. Then I uninstalled it. A few weeks or months later I upgraded again. Then I uninstalled. This happened multiple times. I wanted to like win95. I really did. But I just didn't like it. Then win98 came out and I liked it. Then win98se came out and I liked it even more. Then nt4 came out and I was blown over by the stability. Then winme came out and I hated it with every fiber of my being. Then win2k came out and I found my lifelong partner. When xp came out I wanted to like it. It had all this nifty a/v support, it played games better, bleh bleh bleh... I wanted to like it. I'm forced to use it at work. I've tried it time and again at home. I was forced to use it while making a wedding dvd. But at the end of the day, I still don't like it.
If I'm forced to use xp then I am. But it will be just that; forcing.
Maybe vista will be my win98, but that won't be told until my dx9 card comes in the mail later this week.
JJ

Edward Troxel July 10th, 2006 08:37 AM

Vegas works fine under Win2K. However, the above link for Excalibur is incorrect. Instead, you need to look here: http://www.jetdv.com/excalibur

Also, Merlin, as mentioned, was not a multi-cam tool. The author of that tool did work on a multi-cam tool but, as far as I know, it was never completed. Here's a link to the that info: http://www.curtissoftware.com/Multi-Camera-Edit.html

Other multi-cam tools for Vegas include Ultimate S, Duo-Cam, and Infiniti-cam all by VASST.

K. Forman July 10th, 2006 09:22 AM

Most of the newer NLE's don't just request XP, they outright demand it. I was in the same boat, and finally upgraded from 2K and Premiere 6 to XP and PP2. As far as rendering everything, I had to do that with 6 too for the most part.

And as much as you dislike Win95, it does have a few perks... It's the only OS that will properly run the good ol games like Duke Nukem and Shadow Warrior ;)
I'm working on a retro system from spare parts I've been squirreling away, mostly to work with my old Infinty 3D program, and my old games too.

Joshua Jackson July 10th, 2006 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Forman
And as much as you dislike Win95, it does have a few perks... It's the only OS that will properly run the good ol games like Duke Nukem and Shadow Warrior ;)
I'm working on a retro system from spare parts I've been squirreling away, mostly to work with my old Infinty 3D program, and my old games too.

That is partially true. I've found that many classics are being revamped. Quake was a dos only game that is now nt compatible, complete with 32-bit graphics and quake3 lighting (joequake, fuhquake, etc...). Tomb Raider is a dos only game that is being revamped with new textures and a loader. Descent is, too.
There is also the compatibility mode. I think it's native in xp, but it is also available with win2k. It's just a little harder to activate. You can set the executable to win95 and it can work pretty well. I think I had to do that with Tomb Raider 2-5.
JJ

Christopher Lefchik July 11th, 2006 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
Vegas works fine under Win2K. However, the above link for Excalibur is incorrect. Instead, you need to look here: http://www.jetdv.com/excalibur

Also, Merlin, as mentioned, was not a multi-cam tool. The author of that tool did work on a multi-cam tool but, as far as I know, it was never completed. Here's a link to the that info: http://www.curtissoftware.com/Multi-Camera-Edit.html

Whoops, sorry about that. I got those links from a page listing Vegas scripts.

Michael Hendrix July 12th, 2006 06:33 AM

I am not sure, but isn't win2k going away? I have embraced winxp because I had too. I think for the power pc user that you probably are, it is difficult to get used to how many things winxp wants to do for you which means less control.

That is the big difference in functionality between win2k and winxp (I know there are many things under the hood that are different like security). Win2k is for a techie while winxp is for mom and pop at home.

Joshua Jackson July 12th, 2006 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Hendrix
That is the big difference in functionality between win2k and winxp (I know there are many things under the hood that are different like security). Win2k is for a techie while winxp is for mom and pop at home.

That certainly is part of it. Here's some quick things that I detest about xp...
You can't properly do user administration from the control panel.
If you have a list of files that you are renaming in windows explorer, the files will jump to the end of the list as you rename them SOMETIMES (IE...not all the time and not none of the time).
I like to keep task manager minimized to the system tray so I can see my cpu usage. The cpu meter disappears when in the tray SOMETIMES. Usually, closing task manager and reopening it will bring it back.
If not logged into a domain, ctrl-alt-delete brings up the task manager instead of the change password/task manager/etc... box.
It takes more resources.
Bleh bleh bleh...
I know there are a lot of good points about xp, but I still don't like it. I'll use it if/when I have to (work for instance), but I wish I didn't.
JJ

K. Forman July 12th, 2006 07:28 AM

One of the top things I'd love to ditch, is the auto updates crap. I am fully capable of doing updates on my own. When I turn off the auto updates, I get the message my PC might be at risk... as if letting it freely play by itself isn't a risk?

Joshua Jackson July 12th, 2006 09:27 PM

You can turn off that reporting within the security settings tab of system properties (if I remember correctly). I don't like that, either.
JJ

K. Forman July 12th, 2006 09:34 PM

Thanks Joshua! One annoyance down... ;)

Joshua Jackson July 12th, 2006 09:44 PM

Well...
I got my 9800pro today ($60) so I'm off to install Vista Beta 2. Maybe I'll like it better than Xp.
JJ

John Miller July 14th, 2006 10:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshua Jackson
You can't properly do user administration from the control panel.

I can get to Local Users and Groups in three clicks...

Click 1: Start Menu
Scroll to Administrative Tools->Computer Management and Click 2
Click 3: Local Users and Groups

I've attached a screenshot of my Start Menu to show how you can have all these admin-like things available (readily configured by Customize Start Menu). (Heavily compressed gif so may look a bit odd)

I used to love Win2K and wasn't overly keen to step up to XP but I have. XP *Pro* is a dream to use and configure. From a programmer's perspective, it adds some great new stuff for make writing apps easier, especially handling DV devices!

Quote:

If not logged into a domain, ctrl-alt-delete brings up the task manager instead of the change password/task manager/etc... box.
But you are just a click away from the Shutdown menu in Task Manager. I find that I use Ctrl-Alt-Del more often to get Task Manager than to get the other functions. Nevertheless, I'm sure there is a registry setting to configure the behaviour to suit.

[/QUOTE]

John Miller July 14th, 2006 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshua Jackson
Well...
I got my 9800pro today ($60) so I'm off to install Vista Beta 2. Maybe I'll like it better than Xp.
JJ

Hmmm...don't count on it - it is still beta. High performance stuff still needs finalizing...

And talk about resources....