DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Letter fonts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/72238-letter-fonts.html)

Carlos E. Martinez July 25th, 2006 07:51 AM

Letter fonts

Where do font letters come from? From Windows or from programs like Word?

There are some fonts which I had used, within Avid Xpress, in my previous setup which are not in my present one. Particularly one called "Papyrus" which was very nice, as well as some others.

I thought it might be on different and older versions of Word, but I did install the ones I had and nothing.

Where should I go to download letter fonts and where should I install them so they are available on all my applications?

Carlos

K. Forman July 25th, 2006 07:57 AM

You can do a google search for free fonts, but be prepared for pop up hell. You can also purchase fonts, or buy programs that let you design your own. This is a last resort, unless you have designed a font before. I'm willing to bet you haven't? I do an online search for font sites, and then spend hours going through fonts, looking for the one I feel will convey the mood I want.

And you would likely unzip the file, and simply drop the file into C:\windows\fonts. If you are on a mac, you are on your own ;)

K. Forman July 25th, 2006 08:02 AM

I would also like to warn you- when you dump the files into your fonts folder, they will be available throughout the entire system. This is sometimes a problem. I had downloaded a bunch of Star Trek fonts one time, including klingon. One of my programs decided it liked klingon, and used it for all messages and windows inside the application. Now, I am a huge Trek geek, but I don't read klingon. That was quite an experience, to say the least.

Carlos E. Martinez July 25th, 2006 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Forman
This is a last resort, unless you have designed a font before. I'm willing to bet you haven't? I do an online search for font sites, and then spend hours going through fonts, looking for the one I feel will convey the mood I want.

You'd lose that bet! I did design my own fonts a long time ago, when I wasn't even in Windows. It was the only way to have what you could not find elsewhere, that you could use with old printers.

Maybe there's a connection between Trekkers and font design...

Carlos E. Martinez July 25th, 2006 08:50 AM

Well, it turned out to be easier than I thought.

Or at least was lucky to find a site that had lots of fonts:

http://www.netfontes.com.br/

It's in Brazil, which is good because I need to have accentuation cappability.

No pop-ups, probably because I used Firefox and it blocks them.

No luck with that font I mentioned though: Papyrus.

Is there any risk of the fonts having some virus or worm?

K. Forman July 25th, 2006 10:31 AM

I'm not sure about picking up viruses, but I assume it's possible, so use protection. As for papyrus, try using "fonts, papyrus" as keywords when you search. It may be a registered font, and you might have to purchase it with the rights to use it. And you might also find a knock off for free.

Carlos E. Martinez July 25th, 2006 11:25 AM

OK. I ended up solving it in a much simpler way.

I had a hunch these fonts might be in my wife's computer, which is in network with mine. And they were!...

They probably came bundled with some program we installed, probably a graphic program of some kind, and it was deleted on my last install.

So I simply transferred all the fonts she had and it's there to be used. In any case I will download some of those fonts available, as they might be useful.

What I will do is put those fonts on the installing CD I always use, where I put all the stuff I need to have.

Thanks!

K. Forman July 25th, 2006 11:27 AM

And you should get in the habit of copying the fonts used to a project file, in case you need to pass it off to someone else, or duplicate it later.

Carlos E. Martinez July 25th, 2006 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Forman
And you should get in the habit of copying the fonts used to a project file, in case you need to pass it off to someone else, or duplicate it later.

Good tip!

We take so many things for granted, to think that a foolish thing like that can get you into trouble...

Thanks again!