DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Questions from another Newbie (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/9513-questions-another-newbie.html)

Jeff Troiano May 10th, 2003 11:09 PM

Questions from another Newbie

Hi everyone, new here and this is my first post.

I've spent the last 2 days reading just about every thread here and have found the answers to most of my questions, But I still have a couple.

I guess first I should state I am fairly new to DV and NLE. I was given a low end Sony digital8 camcorder this past Christmas. I picked up a copy of Pinnacle studio V8. I have friends in a rock band so I filmed some stuff for them and edited it on my Dell laptop. Considering it was my first project I think it came out pretty good. I bought a Sony 500 ULX DVD burner, and they are using the stuff for there promotion package (would love to email a medium res version to anyone who would like to see, and give feed back) I haven't really figured out color correction yet, so I didn't make any attempt when I was editing.

Now that I've had a taste I want more (I'm having delusions of Kevin Smith grandeur). I build my own computers, so putting the system together is not a problem, like I said I've read just about all the threads here, and other forums (I'm a bit of a research junkie). I would be happy to post my proposed specs, but that's not really what I'm interested in finding out. I'm not a video professional, but I believe anything worth doing is worth doing right. I'm getting ready to order a GL2, but wanted to put together the dedicated NLE system first. What I would like to know is:

If I go with the Matrox Parphelia video card, running dual monitors, if I put the 3rd out put to a production color monitor, will the out be my whole desktop or just the video I'm editing? If not, how is the best way to do this?

Also when purchasing RAM how do I find out CAS timing? all the web sites I've looked at don't list it.

As far as capture goes, what is the best route? I would say all my video will come from the GL2, through firewire, But I would like the ability to out put from the PC to a VHS recorder, instead of back to the camera, and then to VHS.

I've learned a lot working with the studio 8 program, and feel I even learned to cheat it a little bit, but am also going to uprade to a new NLE, and after reading here, I've decided on VV 4.0 for all the ease of use it shows from the posts here, but like I stated before, someday I might want to make my own indie film, and want to cut to film, what problems does this pose for me when going to VV 4.0? or should I learn Avid now?

Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this long post, and I'm sure to have more questions soon enough.

Like I said before I would love to email one of the videos I made for your feed back, and tips. The copy I have is medium bandwidth about 2.6MB.

I don't know if I'm allowed to post my email address, but I'm sure someone will tell me if I'm wrong to do it.

troianojs@aol.com

Thanks to everyone again

Jeff

Christopher Go May 11th, 2003 12:13 AM

Hello Jeff, welcome to DVInfo!

I hope I understand your question but in regards to the monitor it should be just the video your editing that's output. This is determined by the NLE however - have to follow procedures of the NLE for outputting to a production monitor other than the computer screen - at least it is for Avid Xpress DV.

You can find the CAS rating by going directly to the manufacturer website instead of the online retailers, who don't always give detailed specifications. Check out Crucial's website or my personal favorite, Corsair for specs. Compare the model number from the stores you are interested in with those on the manufacturer sites.

What do you mean exactly by cutting to film? Do you mean blowing it up (from DV to film) or actually shooting on film? I'd like to try VV myself but I started learning Avid just because I'd like to move up one day.

Hope this helps, let us know how things go.

Michael Wisniewski May 11th, 2003 12:31 AM

If you go to www.newegg.com you can check out the memory CAS ratings there.

Akos Szemenyei May 11th, 2003 12:59 AM

As far as putting out to your camera and then to VHS, you can do it directly, just hook up you VCR to your camera and press rec on the VCR. Otherwise you can use the Canopus ADVC 100, or one of the ADVC series, check it out at www.canopus.com .

As far as buliding an NLE system, it's not that easy to actually make it work. The simple reason for this is that it doesn't matter whether you use the best components avaliable, but what's compatible with the NLE software itself. So for instance if you go VV4 right now but want to upgrade to AVID later, make sure that the hardware is approved for the AVID, that NLE is hyper sensetive towards the wrong hardware. Also if you don't have approved hardware, AVID will not give you support, even if you spent a lot of money on it.

I use FCP now days, got sick of all the problems the PC caused and I have built my own NLE's that actually worked just not on the level I wanted it. Oh, forgot all the driver issues and Microsoft windows updates that screw things up. After I've said this, it's not all that bad as it sounds, just really check things out before you do anything hardware and driver wise.

Richard Alvarez May 11th, 2003 07:21 AM

If you have a REAL desire and need to cut film in the future, OR if you are looking for a job in the broadcast/film industry...then AVID is the way to go.

If you are planning on staying in DV, then Avid might be overkill for your needs, especially since you are just starting out. Be advised, there are some real deals for 3.54 right now, it's the same price as FCP. AvidXpressDVpro will be release in June, which will offer the ability to use the Non Linnear Accelerator (MOJO) box for uncompressed SD.

www.avid.com for more info.

Rob Wilson May 11th, 2003 08:16 AM

If you get the Matrox RTX100, it has a cable that provides for direct RCA and S Video In/Out, no need to go through a camera to a deck when outputing to VHS