DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   TIP: Syncing sound on the timeline (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/9548-tip-syncing-sound-timeline.html)

Mike Rehmus May 12th, 2003 07:54 AM

Syncing sound on the timeline

I had to sync up a dialog scene where the view had to cut back and forth as each character spoke. But because of a screw-up in the sound recording, I could only use one sound track and lip sync was obviously mandatory.

Instead of listening to the echo from both tracks and trying to slide them relative to each other, I decided to pan the sound from the main video track to the left and that from the insert track to the right. Much easier (faster) to line up the two sound tracks for me as I could immediately tell which way to move the Insert track and by how much.

Editing system: Canopus DVRexRT/RexEdit

Robert Knecht Schmidt June 12th, 2003 11:35 AM

Clever tip! Thanks Mike. I'll have to try that sometime.

Rob Lohman June 12th, 2003 04:31 PM

Very good tip indeed. One that I read in a book somewhere
once... Makes syncing 1000% easier indeed!

Mike Rehmus June 12th, 2003 06:44 PM

Reinventing the wheel is my specialty.

Harry Settle June 12th, 2003 09:16 PM

This is the same method I use. No one told me. Just like you, it made better sense to do it that way, and, it works well.

Glen Elliott June 13th, 2003 10:42 AM

Hmm never tried that- sounds interesting though. I've always gone by the echo (like you explained) or lined them up with a visual event like a flash from a camera etc. Another way I get good results it not from listening at all but by viewing both waveforms and aligning them.
Thanks for the tip.

Peter Jefferson June 17th, 2003 09:26 AM

another way is with ye ol cheap arsed clap of the hands...
if u dont have a clapper board a nice clap will help in post...

also syncing the wave forms as mentioned is another great way...

Mike Rehmus June 17th, 2003 10:58 AM

Claps and clapboards won't work in weddings and other events where the videographer has to be unobtrusive.

Strobes are also a good source of sync indication. Especially if one has to light up PIP effects.

I find hand claps and even clapper boards to not be very effective since the sound seems to start slow compared to a strobe and takes up many frames. A strobe only takes 1-2 frames so it is very evident.

Clapper boards were not meant to sync sounds but to sync sound and film where sound is recorded on a separate device.

Each to his own, I suppose. I find them all tedious and wish I had a timecode-driven set of cameras and sound recorders.

Peter Jefferson June 19th, 2003 01:18 AM

mike, i agree the flash works fine for weddings, i only suggested the clap as i have used it to good effect when doing interviews

like u said, each to their own, and there are many ways it can be done..

now to find a camera and minidisc which records SMPTE timecodes ... one can dream...

Mike Rehmus June 19th, 2003 03:36 PM

I don't know about a minidisk with timecode. But a DAT, for $7,000 is available and one can jam it with timecode from, say, a DSR-570 and have a neat little package for no more than $35,000!

Shouldn't be that way.