DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Dirty heads- does that mean ruined tape? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/11284-dirty-heads-does-mean-ruined-tape.html)

Glen Elliott June 25th, 2003 06:43 PM

Dirty heads- does that mean ruined tape?

I recently have been having problems with my brand new DVX100 as of today. The camera is giving me the "dirty head" message even though I've never mixed tapes, etc. Towards the end before I stopped filming and shut the camera off the play back started exitibing artifacts, though when I'd hit stop then play again it would clear up.

Well now I got home and tried playing that tape back in my GL-1, the whole tape is fine until the end where it started exibiting artifacts playing back in the original camera. The footage exibited artifacts (though not as bad as when played back originially from the camera that shot it) but the audio was consitantly damaged. Almost shrill sounding, kinda hard to explain.

That leads me to my question- if, say for the sake of argument, your heads end up getting dirty during a shoot (somehow) does that "always" mean the glitches will transfer to the tape? Also if it does how come the glitches (digital artifacts) don't seem to have any continuity. Sometimes they show up when playing and sometimes they don't?!

Mike Rehmus June 25th, 2003 07:34 PM

Unfortunately, yes.

The for glitches being random may be that the signal is almost there and when it is, the error correction can give you a clean signal. Other times there is just too poor a signal for recovery.

Why don't you clean the heads on the camera and then dupe the tape to your GL1. You may have to play the damaged area a few times but you might then be able to retrieve almost inact footage when you piece it together on a timeline.

Glen Elliott June 26th, 2003 04:03 AM

How would you dupe a tape between two cameras? Also if/when I run the headcleaner I don't know if I'll allow another sony tape to hit my DVX...ever.

Mike Rehmus June 26th, 2003 09:14 AM

Place the camera elected to record into record mode, the player camera into play. Firewire cable between them.

Glen Elliott June 26th, 2003 10:24 AM

Hmm I'd need some sort of special firewire cable then. Correct?

Mike Rehmus June 26th, 2003 01:34 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Elliott : Hmm I'd need some sort of special firewire cable then. Correct? -->>>

Just a 4-pin to 4-pin assuming that is what both cameras sport. To me, that's sort of a normal cable and readily available.

Glen Elliott June 26th, 2003 01:53 PM

Not to me- the only I've seen is the 4 to 6 (I think it is) the standard ieee1394 you'd use to connect to a firewire capture card.

Andre De Clercq June 26th, 2003 02:03 PM

Glen,in computer stores you will see the 4/6, in video stores you will find the 4/4 cables

Mike Rehmus June 26th, 2003 02:17 PM

Interesting. My editing cards, which do have firewire connections all have 4-pin connectors. I thought (shows what I know) that only the macintosh side needed the 6-pin to 4 pin cables.

Anyway, places like the Firewire Depot have any flavor you wish.

Ron Little June 27th, 2003 08:24 AM

You can find the 4 to 4 pin connector at Sears.

My Sony has both 4 and 6 pin ieee 1394 connectors, 4 pin in front 6 pin in back.

Chris Hurd June 27th, 2003 08:50 AM

Not to contradict Mike, but many PCI FireWire cards have 6-pin connectors. Most laptops and almost all camcorders have 4-pin connectors (with the sole exception I'm aware of being the Sony DSR-250). All three types of FireWire cables (4 to 4, 4 to 6, 6 to 6) should be readily available.

Mike Rehmus June 27th, 2003 12:46 PM

I found a place that sells 6 to 4 pin adapters for $10. Seem to work well.

Richard Austin June 28th, 2003 02:16 AM

similar problem

Hi Glen

I recently had a similar problem occur. I shot some footage with my mx300, the footage was terrible! I sent the cam away for a service (needs full cyl head replacement) and during that time we hired an xl1-s for a shoot. I used the xl to veiw some of the damaged footage from the mx300 and all of the video was fine.....well actually spotless......

Just thought id chip in...

Rich