DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   don't know where to ask a vhs question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/14611-dont-know-where-ask-vhs-question.html)

Jake McMurray September 16th, 2003 04:00 PM

don't know where to ask a vhs question

so I'll ask it here. If your projects need to go out to VHS what kind of VCR do you guys use. I have a really old crappy one but should I think about getting one with more heads, hi fi sound etc...The reason I want to get another one so I can get one with s-video for easier connections to camera/computer.

Will anyone really do?

Frank Granovski September 16th, 2003 04:43 PM

I use old crappy ones which I find. I check them out, repair/clean them if they need it---as long as it doesn't cost me a bundle. The really really old, but higher end, (solid/massive/heavy) VCRs seem to last the best and do the job the best. Plus you can find them cheap at pawn shops.

Jake McMurray September 16th, 2003 11:17 PM

do the older ones have s-video ins/outs? Do you record from the computer through a camera or deck out to a VCR or do you record to dv tape then playback on a tv while recording with whatever VCR? Does it make a difference?

Frank Granovski September 17th, 2003 12:51 AM

Jake, you asked about VHS VCRs. Now you want to know about SVHS VCRs? Yes I have SVHS VCRs as well, but they aren't old.
Quote:

do the older ones have s-video ins/outs?
No.
Quote:

Do you record from the computer through a camera or deck out to a VCR or do you record to dv tape then playback on a tv while recording with
whatever VCR? Does it make a difference?
I mainly record from VCR to VCR or from SVHS VCR to VHS VCR (this is better, S-video out ---> SVHS VCR ---> VHS VCR,).

Jake McMurray September 17th, 2003 04:27 AM

are you selling any w/s video? I'm trying to figure out a way to get videos off my computer that I've made out to VHS tape in Vegas 4. I have a dv852 w/s-video and I think the audio goes through this small minijack. Not composite.

How do your SVHS tapes compare with VHS tapes all else being equal?

David Hurdon September 17th, 2003 06:19 AM

Frank, perhaps you can clarify something for me. I know S-video ports are helpful in making regular VHS dupes, and I use them for the purpose in connecting camcorder to VCR (and vice versa), but I've never noticed whether or not they are only available on S-VHS-capable decks. Is that the case?

David Hurdon

Michael Westphal September 20th, 2003 09:11 PM

S-Video ports and S-VHS are two completely different things. S-Video (also known as Y-C) is a better way of moving a video signal between devices, S-VHS is a higher-than-VHS-resolution format usually on S-VHS tapes, but can be done on better quality VHS tapes. Tapes in S-VHS format can NOT be read on Normal VHS decks.

HOWEVER, it just so happens that the better S-VHS desks have at least a S-Video OUT port and the really good decks also have S-Video IN.
And in fact, I have never seen a S-Video port on a Normal Consumer VHS deck.

I use a JVC 5901 S-VHS deck, but I never record in S-VHS. I got it so that I can use the S-Video IN to make better VHS tapes, and it does. Now, admittidly the S-VHS tapes are fantastic quality, but I only want to make REALLY good VHS tapes for my clients.

Glenn Chan September 20th, 2003 10:16 PM

Some VHS VCRs can read SVHS tapes. One VCR I tried a SVHS tape on gave these white flecks.

Boyd Ostroff September 21st, 2003 07:10 AM

S-VHS decks are getting cheaper. I got a Mitsubishi HS-U747 a couple years ago for somewhere around $200 IIRC. It has s-video in and out. I do what Michael does however and mostly just use it for making VHS tapes. I hook it up to my camcorder through the s-video port and use firewire to send DV to the camcorder. But I have also connected it to the s-vhs port on my graphics card. In my case I've found that the camcorder (VX-2000) output looks a bit better, but the graphics card has the advantage of being able to tweak the image and do things like showing the full frame or letterboxing 16:9.

But VHS only offers something like 300 lines of horizontal resolution and it's alway a bit disappointing after having looked at the original DV image.

Jeff Donald September 21st, 2003 09:55 AM

The limit on VHS is about 240 to 260 at the very best. I doubt most consumer decks get above 220 lines. These specs are for SP (LP, EP would be much lower). Glen made reference to VHS decks that can play back S-VHS, they're called Quasi-SVHS. Their circuitry is changed to allow the higher band width S-VHS to playback. Standard VHS decks can not play back the higher band width (frequencies) S-VHS tapes can the screen displays blown out highlights.

Marco Leavitt September 21st, 2003 09:57 AM

I was in this situation recently and bought a JVC HRS-5911 from B&H. It was really cheap at $134.95. It appears to be exactly the same as the HRS-5902, which B&H is selling for $229.95, except the HRS-5911 is silver. Didn't have much time to play with it, because the Great Northeast Blackout fried it! It seemed to record a pretty good image before it died though.

Frank Granovski September 21st, 2003 01:11 PM

David, I usually make masters in S-video and from that I record onto VHS. But most of my old masters are still on VHS, directly from the cam. So I also still copy VHS top VHS, and the results are still okay. Of course I keep the original edited/dubbed footage on miniDV. I also convert to PAL often, but sometimes just shot in PAL. Yes, I sell them. For PAL, I use the AIWA 100MX VCRs.