DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   anybody want a broken cam? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/14877-anybody-want-broken-cam.html)

Lisa Marie September 23rd, 2003 09:03 AM

anybody want a broken cam?

Or know anybody who does?
Of course not, I don't either, but that's my situation. Brand new camera bought in korea, leaving korea in 17 days to go on a month long camera worthy vacation and my camera decides it isn't going to play back the stuff I record. Sure, the record works, but when I try and play it back, the counters just turn into little dashes and refuses to playback. Sometimes it will though, but with lots of noise. Cleaned the heads, this is the 2nd time around, already had it sent to japan and had the cylinders and control panel replaced, for obviously, no reason since the problem has returned. Which is funny because it was good for a while, bout 2 months or 3 tapes worth.
If anybody has any good ideas on what to do here besides throw out 1300 bucks, lemme know, I'd really appreciate it.
Korea is the kinda place where you bargin for stuff and don't get a reciept, but the camera was in the box and was brand new with all the junk it came with wrapped in plastic and what not.
I'm upset to say the least, so yeah any suggestions?

Tor Salomonsen September 23rd, 2003 09:19 AM

Have you contacted the producer? Or a local shop that sells the same thing? They will want to see some proof of purchase, I suppose. But if you have that, there should be a valid guarantee wherever you bought it.

Lisa Marie September 23rd, 2003 09:42 AM

nope

That's the bugger of it all, you bargin them down, with cash straight up and they don't give you a reciept. That's just the way it works here. See, Panasonic (I didn't know this at the time) doesn't ship these cameras to korea, koreans go to japan and get them and bring them back, therefore, when I tried getting the warranty in place nobody would accept it, not japan or korea. But, I contacted Panasonic's parent company and that was the guy who fixed my camera for free, but obviously didn't fix it right bacause the problem is back.
They take cash and don't give you a reciept because then they somehow screw the government over or something, save money on tax or something, who knows.
I thought I was just getting a deal.
Too good to be true

Steve Nunez September 23rd, 2003 04:22 PM

Lisa,

the internal mechanics should be virtually identical to American variants- there are a ton of NYC repair shops that could fix that camera- they don't care where it came from or what country it was intended for......do a Yahoo search for NYC camcorder repais hops and give one a call.

Cash rules in NYC!

Good luck.

Frank Granovski September 23rd, 2003 05:37 PM

Here in Vancouver Panasonic usually sends the cam to Japan for advanced repair. You may want to look into Steve's suggestion, though. There's one repair shop on Burrard and 3rd, in that small strip mall who might give you a free estimate. They repair cameras, cams, VCRs, telescopes; all sorts of stuff. I had a number of old rangefinders and VCRs repaired by them.

Chris Mah September 23rd, 2003 10:33 PM

The place at 3rd and Burrard in Vancouver is called Camtex Camera (#201-1855 Burrard Street, (604) 734-0242). I had my old Pentax SLR and lenses serviced there. It can't hurt to give them a call.

Kenn Jolemore September 24th, 2003 07:43 AM

If they fixed it once and did not get it right why not get back in touch with the pana repair people again and explain the problem. They may well replace it if it is new and a defective cam.After all , if they worked on it once they agreed at that point it was legit. Other wise they would not have accepted it the first time.
KennJ

Lisa Marie September 24th, 2003 11:41 PM

I know

I already have hounded them to just trade the camera for a different one or give me some money back or me give them more money to get a different camera. Nope, they just want to fix this one. I have been in contact with the guy that fixed it the first time and he wants me to send it to him in japan for free and fix it for free but I"m leaving in 15 days for a month long vacation, and panasonic korea has looked at the problem and say they can fix it in 7 days but not for free. I"m working on them right now, the guy in japan has been in touch with them, waiting right now for the word. The guy in japan wants it for 4 weeks, even though the first time it was fixed, it was done in 3 days. So I guess he figures the problem is goign to take longer to fix this time. Not sure, I just want a camera for the vacation and I think I'm just going to break down and buy one for the vacation and sell it when I get home. Unbelievable. Lisa.