DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   CD-Cards/MB's per second (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/15827-cd-cards-mbs-per-second.html)

Trent O Connor October 16th, 2003 04:33 AM

CD-Cards/MB's per second

Hi, I've been asked to film some properties which a company would then like to put on media business cards - cd cards. They have 50mb of space. I'm filming on mini dv and editing on premiere on Mac.
I've been told that the amount I can fit onto the disc all depends how I save my file. Can anyone tell me the best way to go about it or how much footage I can fit on?
Theres also a DVD card available with 300mb. So far, I havent been able to do much better than 100mb per minute of footage.

Rob Lohman October 16th, 2003 04:28 PM

It all depends on how much you want to fit on there and at what
resolution. 100 mb per minute is around 1,5 mb/sec which might
be hard for a cd drive to keep up (it would need to spin constantly
at ATLEAST 10x).

That being said, please give us a bit more information at what
resolution you want. With the Lady X project we are using a
320x180 videoscreen in QuickTime with a sorenson codec and
get 5 minutes in 30 MB. Ofcourse this isn't DVD like quality.

Compression can be futher enhanced by using such techniques
as DiVX/xvid or Windows Media 9. But that might leave some
machines out to play the disc.

So the questions you need to ask/give is:

1. do I have to include anything else beside the movie and how large is this going to be
2. how long is the movie
3. is there a minimum resolution/framerate you want/need
4. with what systems must it be compatible

etc. You get the idea.

Glenn Chan October 16th, 2003 04:37 PM

For the best quality, go with divX. You can use a free program to make it into an autoplaying CD. www.doom9.net is a place to start for divX information.

If you want the widest compatibility, go make a VCD. You can make this autoplay in PCs and they can be played on DVD players (the viewer needs to hit play though). TMPGENC is a good program for encoding the VCD. go to www.dvdrhelp.com VCD is around VHS quality.

Quicktime and Windows Media Player are somewhere in between probably with less time investment.

The quality you get will depend highly on the length of footage and how the codec (divX, MPEG2/VCD, etc.) is used.

Victor Muh October 16th, 2003 06:30 PM

Why use DivX when Quicktime, with it's built-in Sorenson 3 codec, works better and doesn't require the viewer to download another plug-in?

Sheesh!

Glenn Chan October 16th, 2003 07:54 PM

You could put the divX installer on the CD so the client would not have to download a plug-in. Downloading something would kinda defeat the purpose of the CD so I'd probably assume that you'd include installers on the CD.

I didn't think about the size of the installer though, as it will eat up a significant chunk of a 50MB CD.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure divX is higher quality than sorenson3. I might do a test on this if I find some time.