DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Question about buying online? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/17149-question-about-buying-online.html)

Frank Garza November 16th, 2003 12:32 PM

Question about buying online?

Hey guys, I'm new here. I was wondering if anyone has bought cameras from A&M Photoworld, or Broadway Photo. The Canon XL-1S is only $2279.99 at A&M. Does that sound about right to you? Other places I've checked have the Canon priced nearly $4000.00. I'm on a low budget so I am looking for the best deal but I don't want to get ripped off, either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt Elias November 16th, 2003 02:20 PM

If it sounds too good, then you will most likely get ripped off in one way or another. There are so many horror stories of people being ripped off from these kind of sites. The XL is an investment, so it's better to be safe with reputable dealers. Check the DVinfo sponsors - they're your best bet.

If you ever question a company's rep, there are many ways to check them out. Check out sites like bizrate.com, eopinions.com, and cnet.com. Also, make sure you are able to track your order via ups, fedex, etc. Another fail-safe method is to call their customer service number to get a feel for the company. If they pressure you with a sales pitch or make you feel uncomfortable then that's a sure sign to take your business elsewhere.

Don't be duped by a low price - you'll regret it later.

Glenn Chan November 16th, 2003 04:16 PM

Broadway Photo is known to be very shady. Stay away from them!

B&H is a great place to buy things online. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/?BI=155 Follow that link so dvinfo.net gets credit (so you support this site). Other reputable dealers may be slightly cheaper but not by much.

If you don't live in the US watch out for customs, duty, and brokerage fees.

If you want to go even cheaper you'll have to buy used (locally is best so you can inspect the camera beforehand) or go with a different camera. Or you could buy the XL1S body and lens seperately if you don't want the stock lens.

Aaron Koolen November 16th, 2003 04:25 PM

Frank, I'd recommend buying from one of the sponsors of this site. They are all reputable, have good prices and great service. Save yourself the stress. I've ordered from B&H and ZotzDigital (Both sponsors) and I live in New Zealand. Both were great (Zotz more so cause they are more personal)

You *may* find a slightly better price somewhere else, but do you want to be arsed with the potential problems?

Catchya
Aaron

Dan Lahav November 16th, 2003 07:46 PM

Before you buy ANYWHERE online, go here first and check them out:

www.resellerratings.com

Bill Pryor November 21st, 2003 07:24 PM

There's not a huge amount of difference in what any dealer pays for the cameras he sells. The bigger ones may get a bit of a discount because of their volume, and if they pay up front they may get another discount, and there are often buying incentives for the dealers. However, no matter what, there's not that much difference. So, if a price is incredibly cheaper at one dealer than at all the mainstream places, it's only logical to be suspicious. My basic rule of thumb is that B&H seems to have good middle-of-the-road discount prices. If some other place is more than 5% of B&H's price, higher or lower, then I avoid them. And, just because they spend a lot of money advertising in the magazines and on line doesn't make them reputable.

Mike Butler November 25th, 2003 06:59 PM

I would NEVER go near Broadway Photo! And what I have heard about A&M would not make me want to try them either.

As for B&H, I have bought tons of gear from them with never a problem, both online and over the phone, in fact just yesterday I ordered another digicam for my daughter's birthday. And if you ever visit NYC, the store is worth the visit, believe me. It's the size of the Lady Lex (no, not really, but it's incredible!) I am 100% likely to buy from B&H again.