DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Video In (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/17391-video.html)

Spencer Jones November 20th, 2003 07:05 PM

Video In

I know this may sound like a newbie question here... and I may not have a 5k camera like most of you here but I hope I can just get a simple answer without getting flamed :) Anyways, Im new to the DV scene and bought an extremely simple cam to get used to the formats/etc. I have a Sony DCRTRV18 and I am wanting to use composite in on this thing (RCA). From the looks of the jacks ... there are RCA outs, USB out, S out, and DV In/Out. I guess the only way to record TO the camera is to have a dv in source, correct? Well, is there any, lets say, dv to a single rca plug adapter? Anyone right off of the top of their heads know if I can achieve what I am looking for with my cam or have any other suggestions? Thanks... and looking forward to this great community!

Tim Frank November 20th, 2003 08:28 PM

I used to have a TRV18 also, but this generally works with any camera. Put the tape in you want to record on (obviously), put the camera in VCR mode. You can hook your camera up to the other source via S-Video, or the RCA Jacks, you can use a VCR, other camera, or whatever will work with those. When the other source starts playing, hit the REC button on the camera along with the blank button next to it. I know this is the way it is with the TRV18 and I know there are similar ways with other cameras. I think that almost all Sony's have the REC button with a blank one next to it and you hit them both at the same time to start the recording.

Spencer Jones November 20th, 2003 08:44 PM

Man, Thanks a ton!

That worked... how simple. You made my evening! Hmm... wonder why Sony decided to not label that button. Think because it would keep people from recording from a direct source? Thanks for your quick reply.... off to toy with my new feature! :)

Matthew de Jongh November 20th, 2003 08:46 PM

well, i have a trv-19 as my occasional use, small camera, and it does not record in via the rca's

the next model up did that but i honestly wanted the black and white viewfinder and for $500 or less it was a great occasional camera to throw in a coat pocket, but the next one up was like $700+ and i am spoiled and have a sony gvd-900 mini-dv clamshell that records in on the rca's

matthew

Spencer Jones November 20th, 2003 08:58 PM

Hmmm

Matthew.... are you sure yours doesnt record in? I have the 18 and I just tested mine to work. Yours doesnt have the blank button?

Tim Frank November 20th, 2003 10:14 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Matthew de Jongh : well, i have a trv-19 as my occasional use, small camera, and it does not record in via the rca's

the next model up did that but i honestly wanted the black and white viewfinder and for $500 or less it was a great occasional camera to throw in a coat pocket, but the next one up was like $700+ and i am spoiled and have a sony gvd-900 mini-dv clamshell that records in on the rca's

matthew -->>>

The reason yours does not is because Sony left off the Analog>Digital feature that converts the analog signal to a digital one. Most Sony cameras include it but the lower models don't. Sony didn't label it so you didn't hit the REC button in vcr and write over your footage, its more of a saftey thing.

Matthew de Jongh November 20th, 2003 10:33 PM

i am pretty sure it is more a marketing thing to persuade the consumer to upgrade to the next model up.

the theory is to get the customer to WANT the next model up and not feel like they were pushed to get it.

american's are trained to want more features and to justify the extra expense by getting something that they NEED in the higher up version.

i figured i was going to be getting a really great new 3 chip camera and the small camera was just for fun...

matthew

Tim Frank November 20th, 2003 11:02 PM

Yeah....i'm one of those people....lol....oh well!