DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   A proposal.. what do u guys think? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/1953-proposal-what-do-u-guys-think.html)

Michael Chen May 10th, 2002 05:15 AM

A proposal.. what do u guys think?

Hi all,

I am getting pretty excited after all the encouraging words from all the nice people around here, and have been doing some thinking.

Many has said that dv is great, and we are only waiting for the right 'person' to come out with a great idea and do something great on it to let dv have a greater impact in the filmmaking industry.

So i'd like to know, is it possible, if most of us here, who's so dedicated to film making to get together and do something big?
Most of us have been getting funding etc, and do films by ourselves. What if we can pool all our resources together, ie funding , human skills etc into one single film project?

I am saying this because the people in the filmmaking business in my country is really incompetitive. Thats why you never hear or see anything from my country before. Those movies that get into local cinema release are bad, etc.
And this, can actually work to our advantage. I was thinking of perhaps , those of us who can, come and gather in a country, and do a full feature film together.

My country, Malaysia is quite suitable for that i think due to a number of factors.

1) There are lack of competition here, unlike hollywood , japan and other countries. And if we can do something better than most of the local films, (which i am sure we will) we stand a high chance of getting them release in the local cinema in my country, and can be promoted to nearby countries such as Singapore etc later.

2) Cost of living over here is pretty cheap compared to US or Japan. You only need around 350U$ to rent a house which can accomodate 6 persons, which means 1 person only need to spend 50+ USD a month for accommadation. If including meals, transportation etc, it may cost at most 150 USD per month.

3) We'll most likely get coverage from the local press, as something like this happening in my country can be considered as a very big event, therefore we can get free publicity.

I'll draw up a more detailed proposal, if you guys think that its possible. Tell me what you think. I mean there will be lots of hassle in doing this, but I believe that its possible. And with the expertise gathered around the world, I am sure we can do something big.

Michael Chen May 10th, 2002 05:21 AM

Just want to add this.
Even when the project does not turn out to be good enough for local release, it'll still be a very good experience. Especially when we can take this opportunity to meet independent filmmakers around the world.

Chris Hurd May 10th, 2002 06:20 AM

Michael, if I wasn't married, could quit my day job afford to travel to Malaysia, I'd be there in a heartbeat! I'll bet you can find a number of similar souls right there in your backyard though.

;-)

Michael Chen May 10th, 2002 07:35 AM

erm quiting your job to come here may be a bit too much, especially when you are already in the film/video line :(

How bout asking John's advice so that we can all persuade our employers to give us a few months leave to do something like this?

I sure hope that most of you think that this is possible, as it will be really great. And i sure would like to work with you, Chris, and learn from you and the others. Perhaps you may find a way or something. *Prays hard that my proposal would work*

I would go to the US or other countries, but the cost of living is just too high for me. I could not last for more than a week from my current financial status :(
I could arrange all the accomodations, etc for all if the proposal could work ....

John Locke May 10th, 2002 11:44 AM

Michael,

Wish I could get several months leave! But that wasn't the case. I just convinced my company to let me integrate DV into my job. There wasn't any learning time...it was definitely a learn on the fly experience.

I like Robert Rodriguez' philosophy about starting out in film/video. He says you can pretty much guarantee that your first efforts are going to suck...so you might as well get those first ones under your belt as quickly as possible. So instead of belaboring one year on a first project, crank out as many small ones as possible in the beginning and work to improve each time.

I'm not recommending you do anything drastic...you gotta keep food in the fridge...but then listen to the other guys advice and start doing freebies to gain experience...and set a goal to knock out a certain number in your first year.

And who knows? Maybe you CAN convince your company to let you do something...even with accounting! Every office needs training films...if not for the accountants...then for the clerical staff, receptionists, etc. Or how about taping directions to your office and adding it to your company's web site? Or how about taping a message from the CEO to put on your company's web site? Got a convention coming up? Tape it, edit it, and send it to the big wigs. There are always opportunities...you just have to go find them.

K. Forman May 10th, 2002 12:16 PM

Here's a thought Michael- Try applying your knowledge of the area to do some mock documentarys. Not only would you get the experience from doing it, but you might even be able to sell the idea to Discovery or TLC. I know that the local culture is very rich, as is the wildlife and eco system.

If nothing else, you should have fun while doing it!
Good luck

Adrian Douglas May 10th, 2002 09:39 PM

Malaysia has all kinds of interesting stuff for you to shoot. You've got Rahmadan and the guys with crazy stuff stuck in their faces, Chinese guys and the hot Japanese cars, crazy monkeys, beautiful sunsets, the list goes on.

First you should go out and shoot as much as you can an then edit it together and make your own Malaysia documentary. I'd love to see it, it will bring back so great memories of the good times I had there.

You can do it all on your days off. Before embarking on anything big, get as much experience as you can.

Michael Chen May 11th, 2002 12:13 PM

You guys are rite. I just wanted to know whether its possible to do that . I don't plan to do anything that big at the moment too. But if its possible, we may be able to do it after a while when everything settle downs for everybody :) And i'll try to gain as much experience as possible at the moment and will need lotsa advice.

There will be a local film festival coming soon in sept over here, so i'll just try to think for some ideas, and shoot as much as possible for experience.

Again, any more input will be appreciated. Its been very beneficial for me these few days after reading all the replies :))

patro_sg May 12th, 2002 09:46 PM

Michael, I live in Singapore and would love to explore ideas with you.

I'm American and have been here for 4 years. I'm mostly an actor (Suria, MediaCorp and an upcoming 90 min Malay movie for Astro) but I'm working with a producer and we do some of our own projects from time to time.

We use a PD 100 with Avid and I'm about to buy an XM1, so we're all on DV.

I have a few scripts and a lot of ideas.

Contact me at andrew@ambitiouspleasure.com

Justin Chin May 12th, 2002 09:58 PM

I'm pretty much all freelance and I'd be open to go down there to shoot something. For now I'm tied up with things up until September. Let me know. If anything, it'll be a nice work "vacation" and my wife wouldn't mind at all.

Dean Bull May 12th, 2002 10:42 PM

Sounds awesome. I would go over there in a heartbeat. It all depends on you though. You need to get a good script and some distribution in line, then start asking for money/help. But you are in the right place!

patro_sg May 13th, 2002 02:23 AM

OK, everyone who wants to come to Singapore/Malaysia send me your email addresses. I will be free in about August/September, but in the meantime we can figure out what each of our interests/strenghts are, and I can offer my script/documentary ideas. I also have a few very good contacts in Malaysian tv (Astro).

So far, it looks like there are at least four of us.

-Patro

Dean Bull May 13th, 2002 02:52 AM

keep me posted. I would like to see what you have in mind. dwbull@cox.net

Michael Chen May 13th, 2002 04:27 AM

I can't tell you how excited i am with all the interests around here.

I think it's best that we do some of the preproduction work etc b4 we get started.

Patro_sg has mentioned that he has some ideas for script, perhaps those of us who has good ideas can give us a synopsis of their script? And then we could vote for the best script and start some brain storming etc.

I'll contact the star newspaper ( the most established newspaper) in my country and see whether they are interested in covering our progress. I'd say our production shall only start after september (so that we have enough time for preproduction)or so or latest by early next year, but most importantly, we need to decide on the date where most of us are free.

And bout funding, I am not sure bout it, since its pretty hard to get funds from my country. Nevertheless, I'll start approaching companies and see whether they are interested in sponsoring or not.

I am using an XL1s at the moment..
And if we could get more people joining, i think most likely the star newspaper will be interested in having the first hand news on our progress. Not that sure though but i'll start making contacts with press once the number of people are confirmed.
Any more ideas for the project will be much appreciated.

And i can be contacted at outward_b@hotmail.com

p/s : Patro, could you get in touch with astro for sponsorings etc either in equipment or funds/publicity?

Dean Bull May 13th, 2002 05:04 AM

I am not to knowledgable with Malaysian law, but be sure to handle this project carefully. At least be certain of who gets paid and how and when. Instead of going to the star go see about distribution. Find out how you plan on getting your picture out, and find out about limited Liability Partnerships. It is very important to handle the business side of your production along with the creative side so everyone wins. What are most movies in Malaysia made for? How much, what do they look like, where are they seen (video, theaters, TV) will we shoot in english or the native language. These all must be answered in pre-production. If the project is looking good We can find some funding here in America. Most pictures here cost millions. If we can make one for 10,000 and make 100,000 in a forign country, you could have American Investors killing to give us money. Thanks.