DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Got a day job, trying to be an indie filmmaker? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/2872-got-day-job-trying-indie-filmmaker.html)

Alonzo Anderson January 14th, 2003 10:05 PM

oh phooey!...worth a shot eh?

Paul Sedillo January 15th, 2003 12:06 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Dylan Couper :
Paul, all those pictures were taken with my trusty Canon S100 digital Elph. As you can imagine I was travelling light. Just the camera, CD player, and a towel.

I'm snowboarding Thursday so I won't be able to make it to Texas. Sorry :) -->>>

That Elph did a heck of a job. Very nice stuff.

Ok we will let you off this time. Just remember that you might be penciled in at any given moment as a DP. "Always be prepared."

Rob Lohman January 15th, 2003 05:08 AM

Very nice photos! Especially the first one from the plane. Sweet!

That snowstorm is looking freaky.... Nice car!

Bob Zimmerman January 15th, 2003 11:16 AM

This is a great thread. I'm not the only one!!!
For years I've wanted to start a video production company. Well for years I would do alittle here and there. I got into photography for awhile. But there was just not enough time working a full time job and raising kids. Now that the boys are in high school I have alittle more time to do a few things, so last year I bought the XL1s and a new imac and just started my small business. I won't be able to quit my job yet but I can take my time and see what happens. I was going to sale all my stuff a few months ago. But I just have to see this through.

Mark Twain once said: "Twenty years from now, you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did"

Paul Sedillo January 15th, 2003 05:48 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Zimvg304 :
Mark Twain once said: "Twenty years from now, you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did" -->>>

Great quote. I think it sums it up perfectly.

Neil Fisher January 15th, 2003 11:19 PM

<<<--But on the other hand, Vancouver has some really kick ass weed. ;)

Seriously though, Vancouver is like living anywhere else (but more expensive than many places). You get a nicer view than most cities, with the water and the mountains. If you like the outdoors its a great place to live.-->>>

I'd have to agree with the second part, not knowing anything about the first.

Anyway I've got this all planned out, I'm still in high school. I have had my PD150 for about a year and have put about $15,000 of my own money into a bike video that I am still working on.

So I haven't really started to worry about that whole making the rent thing and having to pay the bills, although I hear it really sucks.

I work at the Vancouver Aquarium in Stanley Park, and every dollar of my $1O / hour pay cheque goes into my masive collection of DV equipment.

Yeah so if you're ever @ the aqurium, I'm the one at the front desk who is actually doing something...

... it may not be work, but hey everyone loves Free Cell !!

Keith Loh January 16th, 2003 01:26 PM

Hey Neil. What would it take to get the Aquarium as a location?

Just a sec... I guess your bosses wouldn't take too kindly to shooting out a tank glass spilling thousands of litres of water into a hallway...?

Dylan Couper January 16th, 2003 05:33 PM

Neil,
do you know any of my homeboys that also work at the aquarium, Bryan Kent or Francis Yupengo (sp)? They work in the tropical section.

Hey, if you need any help on your bike video, give me a shout, I'd be glad to help any way I can. Email the_klenzer@hotmail.com

Keith, the Aquarium has some amazing behind the scenes locations. The filtration rooms are warehouse sized and are straigt out of something you'd see in a movie (and probably have seen).

Keith Loh January 16th, 2003 05:39 PM

Stay on topic, Dylan. I was asking the man about shooting s*** up.

Tim Joseph January 17th, 2003 12:06 AM

Well I'm a little late for the intros but here's the run down. I'm 26, never had a job I liked, took a year off and went to film school. Graduate in 6 weeks. Got an xl1s and a computer and am slowly starting to get jobs here and there. I plan on working in the broadcast industry until the freelance things gets bigger (if ever). Thats basically it. Now, here's my take on Canada!

Canadians can come here and work on movie sets but Americans can't go to Canada and be on the crew of a movie unless we're above the line. ::sigh:: Come on Canada! We're brothers and sisters! Let us work there!

Andrew Petrie January 17th, 2003 04:44 PM

Tim, please describe your film school experiences. I've thought of doing the same, but have been told they can only show you the technical side of things. I'm 24, and I work for the Canadian government (sorry i cant do anything about our film policies tho, :) )

Tim Joseph January 17th, 2003 07:28 PM

For me, film school was the best rout to take in life. I didn't have the natural know how with the equipment. I've always thought of myself as tech savy and have picked up everything I learned in school very quickly. I learned a lot of shooting and editing rules as well as how to use a lot of great equipment (cameras, editing software, lighting....). I've also been able to do a little fine tuning on my screen writting skills. I guess there are pros and cons to film school. They wont teach you to be creative. Either you have it or you don't. They will teach you the language of film, the rules, and how to use your equipment properly so you don't look like an amature. If I had the chance to do it again I would. For others it may not be for you. Thats up to you. I need to get going to a movie now. If you have any other questions feel free to ask or email me.

Becky McMillen January 21st, 2003 09:37 PM

This Thread has been going a while...

I just have to respond to the subject line. I'm 46 and I work by day as a producer of television commercials in a regional Nebraska market. I've worked for 8 years writing scripts, creating graphics, shooting Mom and Pop businesses, producing weekly sports programs and a variety of other things. I'm just plain old tired of working for someone else. I took out a loan and bought an XL1s and Avid XDV 3.5. The creative freedom of owning my own gear and making my own decisions is just, well I can't even describe it... I've kept my day job for now but I sure hope I can walk away from it soon. I'm not a corporate creature.

Alonzo Anderson January 21st, 2003 10:49 PM

inspiring becky! it's never too late, keep it up and it will happen. good luck.

Rob Lohman January 22nd, 2003 04:37 AM

Good luck with everything Becky! I've more or less done the same
and wouldn't mind "losing" my day job either. Not gonna happen
yet though.