DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   can I shoot in slow motion ?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/32337-can-i-shoot-slow-motion.html)

Jesse Bekas September 28th, 2004 07:31 AM

Doesn't JVC's 5000u ENG cam have a HDD recording option? Once you give a (good) video camera true overcranking ability, you would hurt pro sales/rentals. It's not going to happen for lower end cams for a loooooong time. No matter how many companies come out with HDD recording.

Dave Croft September 28th, 2004 11:35 AM

As far as I can see it, the only way to get true slo-mo is to shoot film. Many film cameras can go up to around 60fps (or more), to get a nice slo mo effect upon playback at a later stage.

I shoot Super 8mm film, as well as DV. My Nizo 800 camera can shoot 54fps slow motion, which can be very effective.

My super 8 cam has various features that I keep coming back to that simply cannot be achieved with DV. Features like slo-mo, real time lapse, time exposure (exposing each frame for up to a minute! for streaky headlights etc).

Many DV users will dismiss Super 8 as a waste of time. When shot correctly, it can look better than DV. And Kodak has just brought out two new negative stocks Vision 2 200T and 500T, which apparently are very good.

Dave.

Jesse Bekas September 28th, 2004 07:24 PM

I know the Filmstream Viper can record 720p at 50 and 60 fps, which would slow down nicely. The Varicam will also do 720p at 60 fps. Progressive scan at 60 fps would be key for great video slomo, and won't trickle down until at least UltraDef is being used by the big boys...and even then...

BTW - I'm just getting into Super8. I came across a pristine (seriously, never used) camera, projector, and a screen in my attic. I put in new AAs got a replacement exposure battery for the discontiued PX-14 Merc, but it didn't work. All the contacts look good, but who knows, it's probably 25 years old. Still, I wanna get one and get shooting. I love the footage my friend's produces, and think it is a very viable shooting option. From what I understand certain Kodak filmstock purchases include a prepaid envelope and development as well.

Ted Bragg September 29th, 2004 02:23 PM

Some web-cams can be set to record higher frame rates, and the older WinTV tuner/capture card can take an analog videocam (vhs/Hi8, etc) and record 'live' footage straight to HD at rates as high as 120fps.

Go with Super8mm. Kodak's new stock and enhanced processing, like at Pro8mm in Burbank can make it look as good as 16. Use it only for specific shots to save money, then adjust it in post to match the DV footage.

Eww. On second thought, just shoot film. :P

Alfred Okocha September 29th, 2004 03:06 PM

CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG HERE (sorry didn't mean to yell) aren't there special slomo cams used for sports events for example. High end yes, but they exist don't they?

Jesse Bekas September 29th, 2004 03:10 PM

I think they shoot in 720p 60 fps like the Viper and the Varicam...hell, they might be the Viper and the Varicam. When shown at the regular 30 fps you obviously get 1/2 speed. From there they might slow it down some more with software.

Jim Shields September 30th, 2004 12:58 PM

How slow do you want? If you want matrix-style slomo, you're pretty much out of luck. They shot a lot of stuff at up to 150 frames per second.

It's been my experience, though, that slomo down to about 65 or 70% speed still looks pretty good, without getting too jerky. It's slow enough to get "dramatic" slow motion, but not so slow that it doesn't look good. I'm using FCP 3.0, so if you're using something else, you may not get the same results.

Jesse Bekas September 30th, 2004 03:34 PM

You can slow it down and make it acceptable looking by only going to 70% speed, but even then the quality is already far from film slomo.