DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Replacing HV20 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/465165-replacing-hv20.html)

Jason McDonald October 6th, 2009 06:47 AM

Replacing HV20

I bought the Canon 7D and plan on using that for most video stuff I do as far as trying to become a better story teller. However, I would like something on the side to capture moments out on the town when I don't want to bring along a bunch of gear (Drinking in the mix and you end up leaving your camera at the bar...sometimes...or is that just me?)

I bought my sister the Flip UltraHD for her bday, but since she's in Canada, I have no way of seeing what kind of quality that has. Portable and 'fun' to use, but I'm guessing not quite something you would bring along to a shoot.

I have a XH-A1, but that's for storytelling only stuff...and only when I have the power to bring it out and about.

I want the power of my HV20 in the size of the Flip UltraHD. Anyone know of such a thing?
I'm looking for compact.

Michael Kraus October 6th, 2009 08:33 AM

I haven't done a lot of research on it yet, but the JVC rz-x900 looks interesting.

JVC | GZ-X900 Everio X Hybrid Full High Definiti | GZ-X900 | B&H

Jason McDonald October 6th, 2009 08:53 AM

Thanks.

Well, my wife surprised me when she pulled out the documentation for the unit. It's still under warranty and I still have everything. SO...looks like I'm sending it to Canon to get fixed. I would LOVE to get the estimate price and perhaps ask for a newer version of the series instead (If the price were right)...

Chris Barcellos October 6th, 2009 09:34 AM

Aside from the HV20 line (30 and 40) I haven't heard of anything that outperforms it. Anyone else got ideas about that, since this thread is here now ?

Jim Snow October 6th, 2009 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Kraus (Post 1428504)
I haven't done a lot of research on it yet, but the JVC rz-x900 looks interesting.

Here is Camcorder Info's first impression of it JVC Everio GZ-X900 First Impressions Camcorder Review - JVC Flash Memory

Brian Boyko October 6th, 2009 12:32 PM

I'd also consider an HG20/21 or if you want to go even smaller, something in the HF class.

I've used Flip cams and other small-sensor, fixed-focal cameras. For the price, they do an incredibly good job, but I mainly use them solely as crash cameras. I've ridden with one in a Zorb, duct-taped one to my helmet going down a luge, suction cupped them to the windshield of my car (on the inside) and in one memorable instance, attached it to a fighting battle robot.

But I still use the HG20 I have even though I have a 7D.

Tripp Woelfel October 6th, 2009 03:00 PM

Chris... I don't know if it's better, but I like the HF100. It matches the HV30 & XH A1 quite well, it's smaller than the HV and will record about 5 hours at the highest quality on a 32GB card. The down side is the manual focus control is a little manky and the battery life is less than stellar. For the OP's needs it will likely fit quite well. One can always get a second, bigger battery and upgrade to the Canon model with the focus control like the HV30 has.

Changing manufacturers will make it harder to match the 7D. I have some SD JVC Everio flash cams that are a nightmare to match my A1.

Bruce Foreman October 6th, 2009 04:06 PM

I have to second the HF100 (or one of it's successors), if they start showing up on the used market and have not been banged around the only moving parts are the switch and the zooming system. No transport mechanism to wear out.

I have two of them and once I resisted the urge to sell them off to finance newer versions, I wound up with a T1i and just yesterday a 7D. I already know the T1i footage blends in well with HF100 video and so far it looks like the 7D video should.