DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Guerrilla or Gorilla? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/467499-guerrilla-gorilla.html)

Lloyd Ubshura November 11th, 2009 12:00 AM

Guerrilla or Gorilla?

I did a search for this and found people using both words interchangeably. But I just did another post in the 7D section and got me thinking... which one is "technically" right?

I vote for guerrilla, as in guerrilla warfare.

Sorry if this is too light-hearted of a post, but I would like to know what to put on my business cards...

Chris Hurd November 11th, 2009 12:05 AM

"Guerilla" is indeed correct. The term refers to unconventional, low-budget means of production.

See Guerrilla filmmaking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Those folks who confuse it with "gorilla" are most likely mispronouncing it as well, but that's their problem.

Marcello Mazzilli November 11th, 2009 08:19 AM

"Guerrilla" means "small war" . War is "guerra".

A small war like the one done by fast small troops moving in the forest, attacking, then hiding again, then attacking again. This kind of war was common in south america and that's why we use the spanish term. Also here in Italy, where war is said "guerra" too, we use the spanish term "guerrila".

This can be used also for "guerrilla marketing" where, instead of big budget advertising campaigns, you invent small but faster campaings.. like sticking on evry lamp post a sign looking for a "Boy abused and treated like a dog" to launch the movie "Danny the Dog" (really happened).

Paul Shapiro November 11th, 2009 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1445590)
"Guerilla" is indeed correct. The term refers to unconventional, low-budget means of production.

See Guerrilla filmmaking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Those folks who confuse it with "gorilla" are most likely mispronouncing it as well, but that's their problem.

Probably the same guys who made “Any Gibbon Sunday” and “The Apes of Wrath.”

Chris Hurd November 11th, 2009 11:04 AM

Not to mention "Take The Monkey And Run" and "Now I Lemur Down To Sleep."

Shaun Roemich November 11th, 2009 12:27 PM

I think you guys are ALL bananas... Now stop monkeying around and get back to work.

But you guys HAVE gibbon me some good ideas.

Brian MacKenzie November 11th, 2009 01:22 PM

this post is getting sillier than a barrel of monkeys

Lloyd Ubshura November 11th, 2009 01:27 PM

What did I just start?

Don Bloom November 11th, 2009 04:43 PM

This thread reminds me of my 6 year granddaughter and some of the stuff she comes up with. Great stuff :-)

Josh Bass November 14th, 2009 01:45 AM

A local guy started a group through craigslist based on this misunderstanding. He kept posting looking for "gorilla filmmakers" and calling himself the "head gorilla". Oy.

Jim Snow November 14th, 2009 12:36 PM

Just "bare" (another common misspelling) with him, it's all just a big prehensile.

Richard Crowley November 14th, 2009 12:50 PM

You never know

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Bass (Post 1447165)
A local guy started a group through craigslist based on this misunderstanding. He kept posting looking for "gorilla filmmakers" and calling himself the "head gorilla". Oy.

Consider that maybe they specialize in going down to the zoo and videotaping the primates!

Paul Mailath November 15th, 2009 02:57 AM

What about the guys that use Gorilla software? - maybe they're the Gorilla filmmakers!

I can see the mist forming

Marco Leavitt November 16th, 2009 09:37 AM

Hey, how do you know I'm not a gorilla? It's the Internet bub and hand me a banana.