DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Quicktime files from CR2 jerking f (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/478822-quicktime-files-cr2-jerking-f.html)

Kell Smith May 16th, 2010 10:46 PM

Quicktime files from CR2 jerking f

Someone just gave me several DVDs full of Quicktime files of footage shot from a still camera. There are also some original CR2 files on there.
The files ;are jerking, and some have black flashes running through them.
I"ve never worked with this before. I'm assuming this is a function of either my capability to play them, or something in the output? As opposed to a defective file? I only viewed one or two files on her machine, but there didn't appear to be any flashing or jerking at all.
My QT version is 7.6.4.
My machine won't open the CR2 file. I'll have to figure out what it needs to do that.
I need to bring these into FCP to edit. It's an older version (HD) and so I hope that is not a barrier. I assumed QT files would be fine.
YouTube - MVI_0286.MOV
Thanks

Kell Smith May 17th, 2010 08:36 AM

...Anybody? I'm supposed to have this to her today but I have no idea where to go with it. Thanks

Sherri Nestico May 17th, 2010 08:49 AM

The CR2 files are Canon raw files. You'll need Photoshop or another photo editor that can open raw files.

If the video files played fine on another machine, I would definitely think the problem is on your end. If these quicktime files are from a DSLR such as the Canon 5D Mark II, then they're huge and will take a lot of processing power to work with. Try a conversion program such as MPEG Streamclip to down-convert to a smaller standard-def file that the computer can handle.

Kell Smith May 17th, 2010 09:14 AM

I have CS3 but I don't think it's supported. I don't have Lightroom. I recall downloading mpeg streamclip at one point, but don't see it anywhere on my system now, so I'll download i t and maybe it can reconvert them to something usable?
What I don't understand is that QT files play just fine on my machine. So there shouldn't be a problem.

Kell Smith May 17th, 2010 09:22 AM

I think the file played fine on the other machine. SHe showed me one or two clips and I don't recall seeing it jerk. But there are about a hundred files, and they all jerk.
I don't know if she showed me the qt or the raw files on her machine. I've emailed her to see if she has this problem on her machine.

Kell Smith May 17th, 2010 09:44 PM

Still waiting to get to view the files. Does anyone here know if there is any way to view camera raw files other than upgrading from Adobe CS3 to CS4?
I looked on the mpeg streamclip page and didn't see CR2 as a supported file.
Seems to me there should be some program out there that would open these files.
I've gone to the Adobe solutions page and walked through the solutions.
I've installed the latest camera raw plugin for cs3 - 4.6. It won't open.
I installed the dng converter and downconverted. It tells me it doesn't recognize that type of file.
This is a major pain in the neck. This file is supposed to be edited by now and I've spent the better part of my evening searching for a solution just to view the file.
I suspect the problem may be in the actual shooting. I only saw a very quick clip, and she was adjusting her shot, and we were talking also.. so I may not have noticed the jerking if it was there.

Sherri Nestico May 17th, 2010 10:04 PM

If the raw files are from a Canon 5d Mark II, you'll definitely have to go up to Photoshop CS4. Or the latest Adobe Lightroom. I've also used Photo Mechanic to open Canon raw files. I seem to remember a free Windows camera raw viewer being released by Microsoft several years ago. Might want to Google for "free raw viewer" to check that out.

The Canon raw files are not video, they are photos, which is why MPEG Streamclip wouldn't support them.

Kell Smith May 17th, 2010 10:16 PM

Oh, really? I was assuming they were some sort of raw video format that she shot, which was then converted to QT. That's why I wanted to view them, believing them to be the original files - to see if there was jerking.
I don't really need the stills.
So they weren't converted from CR2 to mov? Then the problem couldn't be in conversion.
I'm not on the latest system but there is no reason then that my system would be weirdly viewing QT files. If QT opens them, then it must be fine.
I'm guessing at this point, that it's in the shooting then. I've left a message to get over there and have a look at the files on her machine, just to be sure.
We can't use these. The jerking in it makes it unwatchable.

Kell Smith May 18th, 2010 06:52 PM

Now that's weird...

I viewed the files today on her machine and yes, there is some mild jerking and camera movement, but not like on mine.
I saw that one of the interview clips was straight, so I checked it on my machine. Jerking, big time, and the video out of sync with the audio.
So I brought it into FCP and rendered part of it. Had to leave so I didn't have a chance to render the entire clip - but it was straight and synced up.
My version of QT is 7.6.4 (Tiger), and hers was 7.6.6 Leopard. She is most likely on an Intel machine.
But these are mov files, not something weird.
Any thoughts on what this might be or how to work with it, without rending all...hundred or so..files?

has anyone ever experienced an out of sync file after it was burned to a dvd? Although I'm guessing that if that was the issue, the file would not be rendering in FCP.
There's got to be a way to do this without rendering all those clips - just so I can review them.
Thanks.

Kell Smith May 19th, 2010 05:55 PM

Okay, I remembered you said this, and came back to this today, now that I know that the cr2 files aren't source video files, but just image files. So I downconverted one of the files and it solved the problem of being able to play/preview it. Good. So that's what's happening.
Now another question. What is the best format to downconvert, for the best quality, for editing in FCP?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherri Nestico (Post 1527877)

If the video files played fine on another machine, I would definitely think the problem is on your end. If these quicktime files are from a DSLR such as the Canon 5D Mark II, then they're huge and will take a lot of processing power to work with. Try a conversion program such as MPEG Streamclip to down-convert to a smaller standard-def file that the computer can handle.

Sherri Nestico May 21st, 2010 06:01 PM

In MPEG Streamclip, I export to DV using the default settings. The only thing I change is the aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9. And select deinterlacing since I usually am not working with progressive clips. I normally use Premiere Pro, but I have used clips with these settings in FCP and they looked fine.

Kell Smith May 23rd, 2010 12:18 AM

Thanks Sherri. Do you find that you have to render the audio?

Sherri Nestico May 23rd, 2010 07:57 PM

I only had to render the video, not audio in FCP. In PPCS4, no rendering necessary.