DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   MTV - Sony - Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/4889-mtv-sony-camcorders.html)

Alex Kamm November 12th, 2002 01:37 AM

MTV - Sony - Camcorders

Wow haven't been here in a long time but.. I just noticed something today while watching some shows on MTV.

The VX2000, and PC family of camcorders are being used frequently. For their shows.

Brian M. Dickman November 12th, 2002 11:48 AM

Yeah, watching some of the "Making of" footage from Jackass it looked like they had lots of VX2000's for b-rolls and talent to take with them on stunts. If one gets crushed when Jonny Knoxville takes a dive into the pavement, oh well, it's just another couple $k.

Matt Stahley November 12th, 2002 07:04 PM

this is true! also the sony pd-150 is the small cam of choice for MTV i know a lot of the docu type shows are shot strictly with this camera.also if you happen to catch Monster garage on the Discovery channel it seems that entire show is shot on a 150. watching making of the band 2 on mTV and saw an XL1s and pd150 which seemed to be used for b-roll footage as well.

for anyone who sawJackass the movie i thought most of the mini DV footage(practically all the footage) looked great blown up for the big screen.

Jeff Donald November 12th, 2002 09:35 PM

Jackass was shot on Digital Beta and Magic Bullet (After Effects plug in) was used before transfer to 35mm film. I'm sure some of the scenes may be mini DV or DVCam. They may have used Digital Beta and altered it in post to look like DV for many of the scenes too.

Jeff

Brian M. Dickman November 14th, 2002 11:58 AM

During some of the "behind the scenes" shots you can certainly see the real crew using full size digibeta cams. You can pretty much assume that any time there's a solid mounted or steadicam shot that it came from digibeta, and any shakicam shot done from the talent's viewpoint is on miniDV.

Whatever the case, it's nice to see the same equipment that we use becoming quality enough to be embraced in a big studio, professional production. (arguments of Jackass' "professionalism" aside...)

Michel Brewer November 17th, 2002 10:57 PM

mtv

i freelanced for them a few weeks ago, i used my xl1 on a steady shot and a pd 100a as a cuts cam they brought a pd150 with them and there was a beta crew doing the head on, talked to the producer who was very nice and they use the pd150 alot for their documentry stuff and cuts on larger shoots. if you remember their chhose or loose street team they used pd150's a lot and now some of those reporters are using the pd150sw at networks...

Zac Stein November 18th, 2002 12:03 AM

Quote:

if you remember their chhose or loose street team they used pd150's a lot and now some of those reporters are using the pd150sw at networks...
what is a pd150sw?

Michel Brewer November 18th, 2002 12:14 AM

mtv

kermie:

its my bad typing just pd150's.......no sw

: Michel