DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   USB/Firewire adapter? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/491442-usb-firewire-adapter.html)

Stan Harkleroad February 8th, 2011 08:21 PM

USB/Firewire adapter?

Does a device exist that converts a USB connection to firewire? I'm looking for a new laptop but almost all models are made without firewire connections or even PCMCIA slots to use a firewire card now. I still use DV cameras so it is a deal breaker for me if I have no way to transfer my footage onto a new machine.

David Grinnell February 8th, 2011 09:23 PM

Like this?

Chris Soucy February 8th, 2011 10:16 PM

Whoa, guys............

You can't just turn FireWire into USB with a cable, even if the conductors were actually connected at both ends, which I doubt.

They are two completely different protocols, both electronicaly and software wise.

$2.89?

Remember the old adage: "If it looks too good to be true................."

I'm suprised someone hasn't been sued, quite frankly.

Give that thing a swerve.

There may well be one out there, but that ain't it.

CS

Edward Carlson February 8th, 2011 10:34 PM

You would need a converter, not a simple cable adapter. That thing definitely doesn't work. Your best bet is finding a laptop with an ExpressCard slot and getting a FireWire ExpressCard. That or buy a tower and add a FireWire card.

Stan Harkleroad February 8th, 2011 10:41 PM

I know those cables don't work. That's why I was looking for another option. As for tower vs. laptop I'm specifically going for a laptop because I can use it for other purposes besides video.

Jim Andrada February 9th, 2011 09:46 PM

Some of the Apple laptops now have Firewire 800 which CAN be connected to slower Firewire 400 devices with an adapter cable.

Stan Harkleroad February 10th, 2011 12:14 AM

I'm not going for Apple so it rules that out.

Erik Norgaard February 10th, 2011 03:00 AM

USB and Firewire are totally different and incompatible architectures, USB is packet based and provides no assurance of minimum bandwidth. Firewire on the other hand ensures you a constant data stream, which is why it's ideal to DV where you read from tape at a constant rate. So, a USB-Firewire solution won't happen.

Stan Harkleroad February 10th, 2011 12:14 PM

I've realized that. I'm going to call up Dell and see if they still have the Sudio models for sale that have firewire inputs. My wife bought one last year but they are not sold online anymore. I'm thinking I might just use my budget to get a decent machine and a Sony PCM-M10 recorder since I've really been wanting one of those also.

B&H has Acer laptops for decent prices and they seem to have favorable reviews.

D.J. Ammons February 10th, 2011 02:34 PM

I got a laugh looking the dismal 1.5 star review rating on that Amazon cable. It is really aggravating trying to get a computer with a firwire input these days. I just spent $1600 on a new Dell XPS 8100 and still had to spend more money installing a firewire card myself. Since I was taking up the one remaining slot I paid $60 and got a card that had both firewire 400 and 800 plus additional USB 2.o ports. The good news is that it has worked fine. A little scary cracking open your brand new computer to add something to it.

Stan Harkleroad February 10th, 2011 02:57 PM

If I was looking for a new desktop it wouldn't be an issue. I could buy whatever I want and slap in a card. I don't even have a desktop with firewire anymore. I've worked exclusively on a laptop for a few years and the portability makes a huge difference.

Kin Lau February 11th, 2011 09:49 AM

Many laptops come with Expresscard slots. I use an Expresscard FW adapter, only $20- from Ebay.