DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   "A new revolution in DIY film-making?" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/494069-new-revolution-diy-film-making.html)

Colin McDonald April 4th, 2011 08:27 AM

"A new revolution in DIY film-making?"

Feature from the BBC website BBC News - A new revolution in DIY film-making?

"A new project called MyStreet has invited would-be film-makers to submit a short film about where they live, their journey to work or even the old lady at the end of the road who loves to spin a few yarns.

The best ones will be screened at a documentary film festival in London in the summer.

Thanks to smart-phones and increasingly cheaper digital cameras, most people own even the most basic technology that allows them to capture and edit amateur footage and post it online.

But is that turning us all into film-makers? And with other projects such as Kevin Macdonald's Life in a Day - compiled from videos submitted by the public - what does it mean for the future of the film industry?"

DSLR advocates will love this bit from Gareth Edwards - Bafta-nominated first-time director of Monsters which appears towards the end of the article:

"One of the things that made Monsters look good was the camera which we used, which could emulate a 35mm film camera. It makes things in the background or foreground look fuzzy and out of focus and it makes it feel soft and magical."

Brian Drysdale April 4th, 2011 02:35 PM

Re: "A new revolution in DIY film-making?"

They didn't use a DSLR on "Monsters", they used an 35mm adapter on an EX camera.

Gary Nattrass April 5th, 2011 02:16 AM

I must add that to my marketing brochure:

"My camera makes things in the background or foreground look fuzzy and out of focus and it makes it feel soft and magical."

A new revolution to me just reads "we can get this content for free or next to nothing and make our social interactive docu feature that will win all sorts of awards and enhance people's lives in society"

It's nothing new: www.mandy.com

Sadly it's what they seem to teach them these days, just think of an idea, get a load of footage and hack it together with a voice-over to make a story, BBC3 and ITV2 are full of these extended graduate type of programmes!

Claire Buckley April 5th, 2011 05:19 AM

I couldn't agree more re the next-to-nothing comment Gary - but such is the nature of publishing.

Do they still include in their programme idea rejection letter the phrase: "...of course it may well be that the BBC is developing a similar programme idea at the time of your submission and therefore..."

I went to another English speaking continent and made the programme there instead. At least I got paid. Don't bother now as any hand shake with these people is likely to result in you losing all your fingers.

Probably Apple/iPhone will bring out an app for "soft and fuzzy" or something to make your iPhone footage extra shakey and have no DOF whatsoever.

:)

Gary Nattrass April 6th, 2011 01:51 AM

Well I have an 8mm app for my i-fone so at least I can make arty filmz to submit to festivalz!

A few years ago if you went for a researcher interview at the BBC you had to bring your best five ideas to present to the panel, several of these ideas ended up being stolen and made into programmes and people didn't even get the job so they went to ITV with the same ideas and that is why we ended up with so many copy cat Gardening/DIY/Changing toilet roll ser!

Brian Drysdale April 6th, 2011 02:30 AM

Also, how to be a property developer series and lets dine together at our houses.

I've heard of programme ideas/submissions to a well known broadcaster being made by in house producers and the only source for the material was this outside proposal. One person I know at least managed to get a verbal apology from an exec when it happened, usually you don't even get that.

Much of the day time stuff is basically copied formula stuff once an original couple of series go out and is proven to be successful.

Innovative programmes tends to be management speak for cheap programmes, without any innovation.

Colin McDonald April 6th, 2011 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale (Post 1635262)
They didn't use a DSLR on "Monsters", they used an 35mm adapter on an EX camera.

Apologies for error - mine, not the Beebs. Must be the DSLR hype finally got to me too and I assumed that was what was done. My brain is obviously fuzzy and out of focus and I so wanted to be soft and magical.

As for pinching other people's work, it's all in the glorious new spirit of UGC.

Gary Nattrass April 6th, 2011 08:59 AM

I have a programme idea its called "Take out (Jordan, Cheryl, Kerry Katonna or any other bimbo celeb)

Now all I need is a suitable location and one of these: http://www.inetres.com/gp/military/i...107/M107_1.jpg

Bill Ward April 9th, 2011 08:25 AM

Ooooh!! Can I run the Phantom high speed camera for the head shots?