DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   What should I do to get rid of windshield reflections? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/49717-what-should-i-do-get-rid-windshield-reflections.html)

Leo Mandy August 21st, 2005 02:43 PM

What should I do to get rid of windshield reflections?

I am trying to reduce the glare on my windshield and get rid of reflections - is there something I should coat the windshield with - or a filter that would help with it? Right now, I have a rig on the car and you can see the rig through the reflections, which I don't want!

Tom Wills August 21st, 2005 04:00 PM

Polarizer. The simple way to erase reflections. It only lets through light from certain directions. A circular Polarizer should be perfect for this.

Leo Mandy August 21st, 2005 04:26 PM

I tried two polarizer filters on my camera and they worked good at taking away the harsh glare, but not the 'reflections' of the rig. I have a 55mm Black PL filter that I am using. I was thinking maybe something on the actual windshield to cut down the reflections - so I can see in the car instead of just the reflections.
Does the circular polarizer let you change the amount of polarization? I only have the filter...

Henry Cho August 21st, 2005 10:22 PM

you'll probably need to get your hands on a matte box with a rotating filter tray. i have a tiffen ultrapol in my cavision mb that does a pretty good job taking out reflections. you can indeed rotate it to adjust the degree of effect.

Jack Smith August 21st, 2005 11:07 PM

Can you change the angle of camera to w/shield? or flag the w/shield?

Leo Mandy August 22nd, 2005 08:25 AM

The rig is built so I can't really flag the windshield. Maybe a matte box would work, but it would have to be a huge matte box. The problem is the boom arm for the camera hangs from the middle of the roof to the front hood, so I can see the boom arm in the shot. This also makes it difficult to flag - also the angle is pointing downwards as is, and thus because the windshield slopes on the same plane as the angle, I am seeing the boom holding the camera.

Peter Higginbottom August 22nd, 2005 01:51 PM

Hi
I have built a homemade rig out of aluminium square tube, that clamps to the headrest uprights on the centre seat of My van & rests on the dashboard.
The camcorder mounts on a pan & tilt head high up & close to the windscreen(windshield), because it is close to the glass, less reflections, (clean the screen) auto focus works well also.
No filters needed so far, good quality pictures, to My eyes at least.
Plus the rear controls on the camcorder are easy to access.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Peter.

Stephanie Wilson August 22nd, 2005 05:21 PM

Hello there,

There is a spray can anti-reflective product that you can try applying directly on the windshield. I have used it in the past for cutting down glare and reflections on picture glass. May not work for your purposes, but it may be worth a shot as it isn't a big investment.

Good luck,

Stephanie

Charles Papert August 22nd, 2005 06:53 PM

Mandy:

A top-quality polarizer should virtually eliminate all reflections from a windshield, including your boom arm. I recommend the Schneider Tru-Pol.

Barring this, you might try painting or wrapping the boom in white or sky blue material which will help it disappear against the sky in whatever reflection is left. If you are still unable to eliminate the reflection, your next recourse would be to fly a solid over or under the boom arm. If the point of the roof-mounted arm is to be able to swing around to the side of the car during a shot, obviously this will be an issue as you have noted; otherwise, it's just a bit messy rigging job especially if the car will be travelling at a good clip.

Leo Mandy August 23rd, 2005 06:54 AM

Thanks for the painting the boom arm tip - I am going to try that.

Also, Stephanie, do you remeber the name of the product that stops reflections? Or the line of products? Would a glass place have it?

Stephanie Wilson August 23rd, 2005 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandy Leo
Thanks for the painting the boom arm tip - I am going to try that.

Also, Stephanie, do you remeber the name of the product that stops reflections? Or the line of products? Would a glass place have it?

Dear Mandy,

Thanks for considering my suggestion. Unfortunately I used this product many years ago and the brain cells have taken a beating so I can't remember the product name. I do know that we used to find it at art supply stores.

Bravo to you for taking on such a challenging shot. Please let us all know how you finally solved the problem and how you liked the final product.

Best to you,

Steph