DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Question about video TS Files (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/497399-question-about-video-ts-files.html)

Kevin Lewis June 20th, 2011 10:50 AM

Question about video TS Files

I am currently usinging Pinnaacle 12. When I burn a dvd straight from the timeline they dont always play on all DVD players, yet if I create a video TS file and then burn the image to disc (I also check "recode") DVD's seem toplay file. What are you using to create your DVD's?. I have burned many personal DVD's from my time line and i'm nowt thinking about taking the video ts files off of each one and reburning in another system. Any thoughts on this? I need to ensure future compatibilty as I give the dvd's to different family members.

David Stoneburner June 21st, 2011 06:42 AM

Re: Question about video TS Files

Well first of all good luck with future compatibility. All you can do is hope for the best. If you don't have one, I would think about a back-up plan. Save your videos in another format as well. What is a hard to pick. For quality and size I've been using h.264, but that is for stuff I don't necessarily plan on re-editing. As for DVDs. For many years I've been using DVDlab by MediaChance. In fact I bought it at version 1 at the introductory price. Basically I author with it, which makes the VIDEO_TS folder and then I have burning with ImageBurn. I use to use Nero 6, but it doesn't work on Win7 64, so I tried ImageBurn and really like it. I like Nero as well, but it's getting really bloated for my tastes. To use DVDlab you would need to output your mpeg2 file out of Pinnacle. I just went to their site and it looks like they just offer the Pro version, but it's super powerful DVD authoring.

Jay West June 21st, 2011 10:06 AM

Re: Question about video TS Files

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Lewis (Post 1659921)
I am currently usinging Pinnaacle 12. When I burn a dvd straight from the timeline they dont always play on all DVD players, yet if I create a video TS file and then burn the image to disc (I also check "recode") DVD's seem toplay file. What are you using to create your DVD's?. I have burned many personal DVD's from my time line and i'm nowt thinking about taking the video ts files off of each one and reburning in another system. Any thoughts on this? I need to ensure future compatibilty as I give the dvd's to different family members.

Several different things may be at play.

1. What DVD speed are you using when burning? I know nothing about Pinnacle 12, but my experience with other programs is that they default to 16x or "maximum." Some DVD players have trouble with computer-burned DVDs which are burned at 16x. Using 12x fixes the problem but I've run into a couple of old players here in town that won't read my computer-burned DVDs when burned at over 4x.

2. Some DVD players (particularly models up to five years ago) have trouble with some brands of blank DVD disks. Might be slight differences between brands in the color of their disks' substrates.

3. I've had the most trouble with disks burned directly from an editing program. I've had the least trouble when I burn an ISO image from my authoring program and then burn copies from the image. I use Nero for burning from images. If Pinnacle 12 will create a disk image for you, I believe Nero as a trial version which you could use to test things.

If your problem is one the above three things, you could try copying your past DVDs and burning new copies at slower speeds.