DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Anything (New Cameras) on the horizon? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/497625-anything-new-cameras-horizon.html)

Michael Herrick June 24th, 2011 10:04 AM

Anything (New Cameras) on the horizon?

Hey everyone, I just sold my T2i so I could upgrade to the 60d mainly because I wanted and really needed the articulating screen of 60d. I was about to purchase the 60d, but I thought I would ask on here first if Canon has anything that is going to be coming out this summer that will have a new revolutionary feature like full time AF or something similar, or maybe a DSLR type sensor in a more traditional camcorder body.
I bought the T2i last time and a month later, the 60D came out and I wish I knew about it because I could have waited. I googled new canon dslr's but found nothing, so I wanted to ask on here to be sure
Thanks for any information you've heard

Chris Hurd June 24th, 2011 03:53 PM

Re: Anything (New Cameras) on the horizon?

Hi Michael,

On this site we don't deal with camera rumors at all, since they're most often wrong (and therefore worse than useless). If and when there's a new camera announcement, you'll definitely see it here on DV Info Net first. Another great resource to watch is DP Review. Typically for Canon, their new product announcements happen in Jan. / Feb. and Aug. / Sep. -- hope this helps,

Jon Fairhurst June 24th, 2011 07:05 PM

The most interesting things that the rumor sites post are patent filings. Patents don't always lead to products, but at lest the information is real and valid. They post real stuff like press releases too, but you can get that information and a far better discussion of the facts here.

IMO, the rumor sites are for entertainment purposes only. :)

David W. Jones June 24th, 2011 07:44 PM

You might want to play with the FS100 and AF100 if you get a chance.

Michael Herrick June 25th, 2011 02:44 AM

well can't afford the af100 but what's this about the fs100?

Basically all I am trying to say is that I really don't need a camera for any specific job, but I enjoy it as a hobby, so would it be wise to wait till aug/sep to buy one or no?

Simon Wood June 25th, 2011 05:52 AM

If you are delaying your purchase of the 60d because you are worried Canon is going to bring out a new improved DSLR shortly: then I would say go ahead and get the 60D now.

Canon doesn't seem to have any new designs in the pipeline for the immediate future. The one that everyone is waiting for is the 5DMK3, but that is a very different price point from the 60D and 7D, and there is no knowing when it will be released (could be in late 2011 or 2012).

There is also the ongoing rumor of Canons secret camera that is designed to compete somewhere in the market currently occupied by the Af100, FS100 & F3. No one knows if its real, or when it will be released. But if it is real it will no doubt be expensive, and again the earliest you could hope for would probably be late 2011 if you're very optimistic. You never know what Canon is up to; people have been predicting the replacement of the XLH1 for years, but that turned out to be a lost cause. Have a look here (though you wont find any answers):

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/...-art-thou.html

So my advice is buy the 60D and start shooting today.

Michael Herrick June 25th, 2011 09:48 AM

Ok thanks for the insight. Ya I've heard rumors of the 5DMKIII or maybe even a 7DMKII but those would be out my my price range, although I might pay close to 2k for an improved 7D if it had compelling features