DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Compact HD Camera w/ Big Punch! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/499890-compact-hd-camera-w-big-punch.html)

Michael Littlejohn August 22nd, 2011 10:09 PM

Compact HD Camera w/ Big Punch!

I need some help. My father is looking for a great choice for high end resolution in 1080p. However, he isn't looking for a large camera. Something that is managable for one person. Smaller than the GL2 body.

Need excellent sound capabilities...even if they are external.

I'm looking for some options and someone to help me understand what I need.

I need:

Camera
Shotgun Mic
Lavalier Mic (2)

Any help would be super helpful.

Thanks!

Michael Littlejohn August 22nd, 2011 10:38 PM

Re: Compact HD Camera w/ Big Punch!

What about this? Anyone have thoughts?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/707153-REG/Sony_HXR_MC50U_HXR_MC50U_Ultra_Compact_Pro.html

Robert Turchick August 22nd, 2011 10:53 PM

I'm a canon fan so go for the XF100. Its the best of the small cams with 4:2:2 color space and 50mbs codec. Get a Rode NTG-3 kit for shotgun and Sennheiser G3's for lavs. Re-mic with Sound Technologies VT500's and you're all set!

Matt Sharp August 22nd, 2011 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Littlejohn (Post 1676879)

The MC50 is just a consumer camera (CX550V) with a hood and mic tossed on. Still has AGC with no audio control.

If you're looking for something small a Canon XA10 or Sony http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/761581-REG/Sony_HXR_NX70U_HXR_NX70_Compact_Dust_and.html might work.

Tom Hardwick August 23rd, 2011 01:53 AM

The Panasonic SD (or TM) 900 is well worth a look. Read the pupil-dilating reviews on this very site and many others. This 900 is the one to beat. Don't be put off by its low price - its performance has to be seen to be believed.

Gerald OConnor August 23rd, 2011 04:17 AM

The canon xa10 with xlr inputs. If you didn't need the xlr inputs hf g10. The Sony hx100V and hx9 are very compact and take great video, but would need a external audio recorder if you didn't like the onboard mics.

Michael Littlejohn August 26th, 2011 04:14 PM

I've really narrowed down my choices to these two...

Canon XF100 HD and the Canon XA10...

I see that the XF100 shoots MPEG2...

what are the major differences in these two cameras?

Robert Turchick August 26th, 2011 04:26 PM

Pro VS prosumer

Codec is different. Media is different. The CF cards are much more robust than SD cards. List goes on but if you want the best quality, 4:2:2 50mbps the XF can't be beat for it's size.

Les Wilson August 27th, 2011 03:53 AM

INFORMATION:
Video review of the Canon XA-10, XF100 and XF105 | Philip Bloom

Did you look at the Panasonic HMC150?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/575992-REG/Panasonic_AG_HMC150PJU_AG_HMC150_AVCCAM_Camcorder.html

Robert Turchick August 27th, 2011 07:10 AM

The HMC 150, while priced very nicely right now, is much larger than what the OP requested. Also in terms of quality it's severely outgunned by all the other pro cameras mentioned and even some of the consumer ones. Its old technology. The single sdhc card slot isn't confidence-inspiring and the LCD is terrible. I owned one for a few years so I know that camera inside and out.

Les Wilson August 27th, 2011 07:26 AM

There's also the HMC-40 with optional XLR.

Robert Turchick August 27th, 2011 07:40 AM

So Les...are you a Panny guy? Ha ha! The hmc40 is a better choice! I keep forgetting about the 40. I've used one for b-roll many times and it works great. it does only have the single sdhc card and the codec is 24mbps avchd but for the price it's a killer little camera. It is noisier than the canons and needs light to make a great picture. That's probably due to the 1/4" sensor VS 1/3" in the canons.

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for canon in any way. I just love their products. If they would like to pay me an endorsement deal I would not turn it down.

Mike Beckett August 27th, 2011 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Turchick (Post 1677899)
Pro VS prosumer

Codec is different. Media is different. The CF cards are much more robust than SD cards. List goes on but if you want the best quality, 4:2:2 50mbps the XF can't be beat for it's size.

Of course, it depends if you really need 50mbps 4:2:2, and if you really need or want to use CF cards that are much more expensive than SDHC cards... how important is size to you, does it need to be really small? Choosing the XA10 insead of the XF100 could save quite a few $$$ and be more suited, providing the features are adequate.

It's one thing _wanting_ all those extra goodies in the XF100, it's another thing actually _needing_ them!

Robert Turchick August 27th, 2011 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Beckett (Post 1678020)
It's one thing _wanting_ all those extra goodies in the XF100, it's another thing actually _needing_ them!

For pro use, quality of the image and reliable media aren't what I'd consider "goodies" :)

Not saying the XA10 isn't also a great choice cause clearly it produces fantastic images. Just that for me, the 4:2:2 and broadcast-quality 50mbps are worth it.

So Michael...have we given you enough info? what are your thoughts on our opinions? Just curious if we're actually helping!

Les Wilson August 27th, 2011 11:19 AM

I am not a "Panny guy". When I looked at this discussion, I thought Panny had products for the OP to consider and were missing from the conversation...plenty of threads for the OP to read up on each one.