DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Question about shooting stock footage (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/500555-question-about-shooting-stock-footage.html)

Kevin Lewis September 10th, 2011 11:21 PM

Question about shooting stock footage

When shooting stock footage that will be sold, whats the best/most compatible setting 60I, 30p or 24p?

Ervin Farkas September 11th, 2011 08:20 PM

Re: Question about shooting stock footage

Ask the company you will be shooting for.

Dan Licht September 12th, 2011 08:33 AM

Kevin - I asked the same question several years back when I got started. Never got a great answer so I settled on 30p (I did check with some stock houses and they seemed to lean toward that format). Progressive is always better than interlace (you can easily convert from progressive to interlace with no quality loss, can't always do it the other way round). Although some people want 24p its usually no big deal to go from 30p to 24p (especially when doing wildlife stuff which is what I do; in fact keeping all the frames and playing at 24p will give a slight slow motion effect which is often nice). In many cases I'll even shoot 720 60p when I think the slow mo effect is a higher priority than the resolution.

You can see some examples at my own web page: HDNatureFootage - HD Nature and Wildlife Footage

Cheers. Dan

Kevin Lewis September 12th, 2011 08:43 AM

Thanks Dan, I typically shoot 30p, so I will stick with that. Looks like you have some great footage on your site.

Florin Sev September 17th, 2011 05:31 AM

I render my time lapse sequence in 24P. Rarely my customers want a different frame rate.

David Rice September 17th, 2011 01:49 PM

Find yourself a niche in the market. Mine is nature, wildlife, and culture of Southeast Alaska at: alaskavideoclips.com.

Shaun Roemich September 17th, 2011 02:05 PM

Depends on whether you are targeting broadcast or "film" markets. Broadcast, I'd shoot 30P, film (or corporate/industrial with a "ciné" feel) I'd shoot 24P.

Mark Williams September 17th, 2011 04:43 PM

I shoot mostly 720 30p for stock. However, I find it interesting that 60% of my sales are older SD 4:3 60i clips.

Kevin Lewis September 17th, 2011 06:14 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. Can anyone give some advice on the length of time each clip should be? Keep in mind that im comtemplating selling online, not to one specific client.

Shaun Roemich September 17th, 2011 06:31 PM

The clip should be as long as the clip needs to be...

As well, remember to leave a "handle" of a couple of seconds at the top and tail, ESPECIALLY if a camera move is involved. And remember to reverse the move as well, if appropriate.

Shorter clips are likely to sell better, unless the content is extraordinary ASSUMING you charge by the length. As well, higher resolution I would expect to pay more for so you MAY want to compress a couple of different sizes at different price points : 320x240 (or 16:9 equivalent) for web, 640 (or 720) x 480 for "broadcast" (I prefer square pixels in case clients want to use for the Web) , 720P and 1080P and/or i.

Florin Sev September 18th, 2011 01:01 AM

About length of each clip I'd say min 10s max 30s... depends of what you have in front of your camera ;)
Happy shooting!