DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Custom Clappers? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/502010-custom-clappers.html)

Adam Palomer October 26th, 2011 12:13 AM

Custom Clappers?

1 Attachment(s)
I designed a custom layout for a clapperboard using Photoshop.

Now I would like to get it etched or engraved into an acrylic board or a clapperboard.

A slate alone would work, too. I can simply use the clappers from an old board to turn it into a clapperboard.

So my question is where can I get this made?

Les Wilson October 26th, 2011 04:38 AM

Re: Custom Clappers?

Doesn't everyone use iPads for this anymore?

In my experience, putting all that detail on a clapboard and getting it on film, under lights etc usually means changing the exposure settings on the camera to keep the thing from blowing out and then having to put the camera exposure back before the director says "action". That's my experience anyway.

IMHO, I would think an assistant could keep track of all that data and log it in a way that you can look it up by Scene and Take numbers. YMMV

Brian Drysdale October 26th, 2011 06:23 AM

Seems to be too much info on the clapper board.

To be honest, I've never seen anyone adjust exposure for the clapper board when shooting video, only pull focus.

Les Wilson October 26th, 2011 06:36 AM

Anymore, I use it only in studio. Not only do I have to change exposure so it doesn't blow out, there's glare to deal with and if the camera isn't zoomed in far enough, the small written stuff isn't readable anyway.

David Rogers October 26th, 2011 07:23 AM

You might try, nolaslates, iveyslates or movie-slates. All are .com

Regards,
David

Brian Drysdale October 26th, 2011 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Wilson (Post 1691630)
Anymore, I use it only in studio. Not only do I have to change exposure so it doesn't blow out, there's glare to deal with and if the camera isn't zoomed in far enough, the small written stuff isn't readable anyway.

Could be our cameras have more knee being used in their set up and the clipping is often set at 108%. The white clapper boards our camera assistants use are translucent, so they're not a "pure" white like a whiteboard used by lecturers, but also allow a back light to be used to illuminate the writing on the slate.

Adam Palomer October 26th, 2011 02:48 PM

Thank you all for the input.

David Rogers,

I wasn't able to find movie-slates.com.

Brian Drysdale,

Could you attach or link to an example of the type of translucent slates you mentioned?

Brian Drysdale October 26th, 2011 03:05 PM

They're supplied by Panavision, the board itself is made from perspex, fitted with a wooden clapper.

Panavision - Panastore

I expect you can get them in the US.