DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Insurance for a 1 day production? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/502096-insurance-1-day-production.html)

Justin Molush October 28th, 2011 02:56 PM

Insurance for a 1 day production?

Getting right down to it:

I am renting a RED one for a day along with some glass and all the accessories and everything is set except for insurance. The shoot is in West Virginia, and was wondering if there were any insurance companies that you guys have worked with that will do a day rider under some adverse conditions...

By that I mean...

Cars skidding (not a staged race, its a drift competition)
Mounted in a helicopter chasing the cars skidding on the racetrack below (stunt helicopter with stunt pilot)

The guys I am renting from are cool with all of this, but a bunch of insurance places I called all were kind of... hesitant. Do any of you guys have good recommendations for insurance companies that will accept this? We won't be shooting in open fields where cars can slide into us, it will be behind barriers and we'll be pretty far away (shooting with the RPP 300mm for that stuff...) but its obviously an issue for some places.

Recommendations?

Allan Black October 28th, 2011 05:25 PM

Re: Insurance for a 1 day production?

From my experience, you might find when you get on site, it's necessary to get much closer to the action.
At the risk of them hollering 'not with our camera you don't!!' .. as the rentee I'd ask the renter for recommendations.

They may even have the necessary insurance available and bundle it together.

That is if you're absolutely sure you won't be handing the RED back in bits :)

Cheers.

Justin Molush October 28th, 2011 07:13 PM

They are fine with the camera being put in those conditions - as long as there is insurance! haha

They dont offer it as it is an in-house cam that they occasionally rent out is what it seems like (got recommended to them from a friend, and their rates are good). Most insurance companies had no idea how they would cover it, but I called Francis L. Dean Associates today (after finding recommendations on REDUSER from a year ago) and they seemed to understand what I was looking for and should have a form emailed to me here shortly...

Gary Nattrass October 31st, 2011 09:18 AM

Not only the camera but make sure your crew and any member of the public that could get injured is covered as well, a RED can be replaced easily but someones loved one is far more valuable!

Bill Ward November 3rd, 2011 09:39 AM

Justin: if you have any insurance on your own gear, it might be easiest just to get your company to add a rental rider.