DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Looking for New Unit (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/506838-looking-new-unit.html)

Wayne Dear April 11th, 2012 06:50 AM

Looking for New Unit

I currently have a Sony HVR Z7 and have had constant issues with this camera, recently the firewire has died, and my MRU unit as well, and its always the users fault!!

Currently I film Football for six months of the year, usually 2-3 games a weekend, the other six months ties in with Weddings and Corporate events and random things.

I have a budget around the 20k mark, so I am guessing I will be able to get a decent unit at that price, as well as a new Tri-Pod, and turf this POS Miller junk out. (3 times now my Miller leg clamps have cracked on my DS10, seems to be a common fault, and Miller say they are not covered under warranty...good for business, as I wont be buying anymore Miller products!)

It has to be something I spose I can move around easy.

Cheers

Les Wilson April 11th, 2012 09:49 AM

Re: Looking for New Unit

Are you shooting football game film or player hilights? I ask because I found it much easier to track an individual player across the field for a hilight when I used a shoulder mounted camera with a view finder as opposed to trying to use a flip out LCD.... also better in sunlight. The Sony EX-3 gives you both a proper viewfinder and an LCD.

Wayne Dear April 11th, 2012 08:05 PM

The HVR Z7 has view finder as well, and yes for filming footy its a must, as its alot easier to track the players, will check the one u mentioned when home from work, thanks

Les Wilson April 11th, 2012 09:02 PM

The EX=3 form factor is all different than the Z7. The Z7 is a Handycam ...with the VF in the rear and all the weight is on your hands. The EX-3 has the VF moved forward and puts camera weight on your shoulder (using a small shoulder mount). It's the same as the venerable XL1 form factor. It's the next best thing to shoulder mount but lighter and smaller.

Westside AV is a DVInfo sponsor and a great source for well thought out and designed accessories for the EX-3 and other cameras.

Chris Soucy April 11th, 2012 10:27 PM

Hi, Wayne....................

Tip on the support front.

Fire mails to Barbara Jaumann at Sachtler, Barbara.Jaumann@VitecGroup.com and Peter Harman at Vinten, Peter.Harman@VitecGroup.com when you have chosen a weapon to support.

Ask them for a free test rig of what they consider appropriate, give you a feel for what's on offer.

No point doing it till the camera is chosen, as the head will need to be selected to suit, but they WILL supply freebie testers, to your front door, can't ask for much more than that.

Do take care with some of Sachtlers cheaper sticks, look great, engineered great and are ligh but............

Tell 'em CS sent you, should elicit a groan or two!

They're both up to their eye balls in NAB stuff at the moment, so if you do it now a response could take a while, wait till your camera is a cert and do it then.

CS