DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   MTS conversion and system resources question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/508214-mts-conversion-system-resources-question.html)

Kell Smith June 2nd, 2012 01:10 AM

MTS conversion and system resources question

I'm going to re-post this here since it's partly a system resources question, and this is a higher traffic forum.

I am trying to see if I can work with MTS files on what I have. I've got a G5 with 10.4.11 (working on upgrading, I know), and an Intel Macbook 2008 with Leopard.
I need a free solution.
Research on Google shows so far that the only free solution is to use a program to rewrap it to m4v and then open it in Streamclip and convert (in my case, probably to DVCPro since my FCP is too old for ProRes. Not sure yet about AIC).
Here are my questions:
1) Does anyone have a better solution that is free?
2) Should I expect a loss of image quality this way?
3) My Macbook, as far as I am aware, does not have a dedicated video card? Does file conversion ,through these conversion programs, use the video card itself or does it just rewrite the file without that? Would converting files like that on a regular basis tax my Macbook too heavily? Fry it?

I doubt there would be a solution that would allow me to convert on my G5, with TIger, although I still plan to do some more research on that.

Suggestions? I've got to let this guy know right way. Anyone have experience with this? And I'm still searching this and other forums for answers as well.
Thanks =)

Dave Farrants June 2nd, 2012 09:22 AM

Re: MTS conversion and system resources question

This? - Free MTS M2TS Converter (Mac) for Mac - CNET Download.com

Converts to many formats and should work on your Macbook. Interestingly it's no longer listed as free on their website but it is the free version if you download it from CNET. I have stopped it phoning home as I suspect any upgrade will now be chargeable.

Kell Smith June 2nd, 2012 03:17 PM

Thank you Dave,
I'm trying to install it but am getting an error that says "installer could not install some files in "/applications . " Then it says to contact the company for support. Still working on it.

Dave Farrants June 2nd, 2012 10:54 PM

I downed a copy from CNET to test the link before posting it and installed it over a copy I've had for some months, didn't get any problems - still works OK.

Kell Smith June 2nd, 2012 11:15 PM

darn. no luck. I even logged out and tried to install it on my other login which has almost nothing on it. What OS version do you have?
Thanks very much for your suggestion. I might need an OS upgrade although it says it does work with Leopard,
This is very frustrating. I"ve been looking for a week and a half for a conversion solution and have to let him know if I can work with his files.

Robert Lane June 2nd, 2012 11:45 PM

Kell,

Have you tried using any software provided by the camera manufacturer? Almost all the consumer/pro-sumer and all pro video cams that have an MTS file output have a free plug-in that talks to FCP/Premiere Pro. However their software might require newer hardware/software combinations than what you have listed.

Also, while it's not free ClipWrap is an excellent MTS to Quicktime converter and it's *relatively* inexpensive at $49. Interestingly they don't list any system/software requirements for installation compatibility but chances are it will work with your system.

Lastly, most of the time when a program won't install properly it's because your software environment is in need of cleaning and a tune-up. Download and run all the maintenance/cleaning routines in ONYX for Mac, then try reinstalling the free software. If it still doesn't work then it could be that code is no longer valid.

Kell Smith June 3rd, 2012 12:11 AM

THanks Robert,
I'll check into that. It's not my camera, and I am getting the MTS files on a drive, but perhaps there is a download that will work. That's for Canon cameras, right?
$ 49 is not that bad in the scheme of things, but I really need a free solution if at all possible. If I do this work, it will be PT and mostly trade - so free is better. My budget is tight right now.
I'll check out Onyx and see what that's about, thanks for the tip.
Time for bed. Over and out.

Dave Farrants June 3rd, 2012 05:43 AM

I'm on Lion. Just tested the new install with some mts files - worked fine, not quick on my 2.66 Quad but OK for a free solution. I used the free MTS M2TS program for the occasional mts files I had to work with but I recently bought a DataVideo DN-60 for one of my cameras and I now use ClipWrap which converts to Prores which the free version of MTS M2TS doesn't. Hope you get it to work!

Kell Smith June 3rd, 2012 08:38 AM

Thanks, all. So once I find a solution, I can safely convert them on my Macbook 2008? Does straight converting like that use a video card? I don't want to fry my beloved Macbook. It's not a MB Pro.

Jack Zhang June 3rd, 2012 09:15 AM

I regret not jumping in earlier, but there is an open source freeware that re-wraps MTS into MOVs:

Media Converter - Home

Get the "AVCHD for Quicktime - Uncompressed audio" preset from this page and you should be set:

http://media-converter.sourceforge.net/presets.html

Do keep in mind, if you're editing in Final Cut, split your projects or you will suffer instability when editing since H.264 editing in Final Cut is VERY unstable.

Kell Smith June 3rd, 2012 11:29 PM

Thanks Jack,
It did work, but it downconverted it to 720x480, mpeg2.Still working with it.

Jack Zhang June 4th, 2012 01:13 AM

Install the preset for AVCHD and it will not downconvert it.

Kell Smith June 10th, 2012 06:58 AM

Thanks very much Jack, that worked.
I converted the files on my Macbook through the Media Converter. I then took the mov (h264)files) over to the G5 to convert them via Streamclip to DV for editing. It seems to continually freeze my system, even on a small clip, just a minute or so in. Even when I tried to downconvert them to 720x480. Am I just not going to be able to convert HD files on a G5?
Dave I wish I had your quad core .. this Macbook is a duo core without a video card! I'm jealous! And concerned that it might overtax this system. Has anyone out there successfully done this in a MB 2008 duo core?

Kell Smith June 10th, 2012 06:53 PM

So... what's the verdict, guys? Should I tell him I can't work with these files until I upgrade? Or has someone found a workaround?
I plan to contact him tomorrow.
Thx for your help and feedback.

Eric Olson June 10th, 2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kell Smith (Post 1736275)
Would converting files like that on a regular basis tax my Macbook too heavily? Fry it?

Consider getting some sort of notebook cooling pad to place it on while doing the conversion so it doesn't overheat.