DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   A traveling video gig. My first. What to charge? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/511086-traveling-video-gig-my-first-what-charge.html)

Lalo Alvidrez October 1st, 2012 09:05 AM

A traveling video gig. My first. What to charge?

Hello out there, I was offered a gig where I will be required to fly out in the morning and fly back at the end of the day. Was wondering what someone would charge for the travel time? I have a set price when I'm actually videoing but not sure on what to charge on the travel time. Any suggestions?

Chris Medico October 1st, 2012 11:12 AM

Re: A traveling video gig. My first. What to charge?

I may charge a travel rate if its a multi day job but for what you describe where it all happens in one day you should charge your normal day rate.

They are keeping you tied up for a full day and they should pay the cost for it.

Lalo Alvidrez October 1st, 2012 12:03 PM

Thanks Chris that does make sense instead of charging a certain rate per hour on travel time.

Don Bloom October 1st, 2012 09:49 PM

As long as they're paying the cost of flying and ground transportation, then day rate makes the most sense. I've done out of town jobs and for me at least it's never been just the one day in and out but it's always a day rate.

Stelios Christofides October 6th, 2012 02:00 PM

Last year a client offered me the air-tickets ,full accommodation in Athens where I had to film a musical show, and I did not charge him anything as we all stayed extra 2 day in Athens and that was fun

stelios

Paul R Johnson October 6th, 2012 02:23 PM

You must charge travelling time - even if they pay for the tickets because you are working for them, and while travelling cannot do work for other people - Travelling is NOT fun. It's tiring and often stressful. If you are going somewhere, it's often possible to tag on a catchup day that is not paid. I've often done this and I just tell them I'd prefer to go a day early, to give me time to recover and maybe zap the jet lag. For the price of one extra night's hotel, they have gone for it. Getting of a plane, after a 4 hour delay and 12 hour flight full of screaming kids on a rubbish airline, there is no way I'm going to be able to do a 9/10am start the next day.

Don Bloom October 6th, 2012 09:11 PM

When I was doing auto racing, if I was going directly to the track on the same day as I flew in, I got day rate. If I flew in and didn't start until the next day I got half the day rate. Flying back never happened until the day after the race and I got half the day rate for that. Of course they also paid for the air travel, rental car, hotel and paid a per diem for meals.

Shaun Roemich October 7th, 2012 12:33 AM

My standard is pretty much the same as Don's...