DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Help choosing my first PL- lens (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/513143-help-choosing-my-first-pl-lens.html)

Svein Rune Skilnand January 4th, 2013 11:23 AM

Help choosing my first PL- lens

Hi.
I am trying to make a decision on my first PL- lens for my Sony FS100 and JVCs PL- adapter HZ CA13U for the GY- HD/ HM series.

I can only afford one lens at the moment so I have narrowed it down to 2 choiches. Either a Zeiss CP2 lens or a battletested RED 18-80 mm lens.

Does anyone have any experience with RED and their lenses? The range seems OK.

What mm lens should I go with on the CP2 series and will there be a crop factor between the Sony camera and JVC adapter. My reason for asking is because it is my understanding that the JVC adapter mimics that of Super 16 film, so I am wondering if a 35 mm lens on the Sony would be, you know 35mm and if it would be closer to 50 mm on the JVC adapter ( or something )

Any inputs appreciated.

Brian Drysdale January 5th, 2013 03:06 AM

Re: Help choosing my first PL- lens

Very different lenses, it really depends on what you want to shoot and if you have a tripod able to take the RED zoom when it's mounted on your camera. Also, the filter sizes needed on those 35mm zooms are much bigger and those large filters aren't cheap.

Svein Rune Skilnand January 5th, 2013 04:03 AM

Hi Brian.
My work ranges from wildlife to documentaries to live events and talking heads.

I use a Libec RS450 and Vinten Vision 11 tripod.

Filters was another of my concerns. This is all quite new to me. I have been looking at an O Connor mattebox and Movcam baseplate with integrated quick lock for V- mount plates 16x9 Inc. :: Movcam Lightweight Support

I`m leaning towards a CP2 lens, but wondering if 35 mm is the right lens for both cameras. Much of my documentary work is handheld, following the action. I would like a natural look om my images and it seems that 35 mm is closest to what the human eye sees. On the other hand I also like working on the wideangle. My concern is whether such a lens would give diffent perspectives on both cameras.

I think the RED zoom, although it looks nice, would turn my JVC into a very long and heavy camera.

I am open to other suggestions, seems like used PL- lenses are hard to find on the internet.

Brian Drysdale January 5th, 2013 04:53 AM

If you're shooting mostly hand held the RED zoom isn't the way to go, it's a good general purpose zoom for use on the tripod.

I'd imagine on the HZ CA13U you'd get more a "portrait" lens look with the 35mm rather than a good handheld one. A 25mm type focal length might be better if you want to use a lens that you can hand hold on both.

Svein Rune Skilnand January 5th, 2013 05:02 AM

Thanks, Brian.

Do you know if there are alternatives to the CP2 range in the same price category?

Have you had any experience with matte boxes? I have seen alot of pictures on different blogs where the mattebox doesn`t fit tight around the lens. That kind of defeats the purpose I guess.

Svein Rune Skilnand January 5th, 2013 06:31 AM

I found this on a different thread by Tim Dashwood, back in 2007:

I generally will rent at least a 9.5mm (for nice wide shots without distortion), a 16mm (for 'standard' medium shots) a 25mm or 32mm (for close-ups) and sometimes a 50mm (for extreme close-ups/telephoto.) The 50mm is good to have just for quick backfocus testing if you can afford it.

Any lens will work. The format does not matter (s-16, 16 or 35mm). Anamorphics and other specialty items like tilt/shift will also work. If you can mount it on an Arri SR, then you can mount it on the COPLA.

I wonder if these are 16 mm lenses he is referring to.

Brian Drysdale January 5th, 2013 06:37 AM

Yes, the HZ CA13U effectively has a 16mm field of view.

I haven't costed them, but you could check out Schneider lenses. https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecom....aspx?CID=1722

Svein Rune Skilnand January 5th, 2013 09:35 AM

Thanks, Brian. I`ll check them out.