DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Final Draft (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/5302-final-draft.html)

Bob Zimmerman December 5th, 2002 03:37 AM

Final Draft

Not sure where to put this thread,,,but Chris will moved it to the right place!!!
I'm looking at some screenplay software. Final Draft has one that looks really good for use with video. Has anyone tried there stuff?

Rob Lohman December 5th, 2002 12:44 PM

Take a look at this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&threadid=4730

A lot of people seem to really like Final Draft. Try out there demo
at www.finaldraft.com

Don Donatello December 5th, 2002 05:09 PM

if you are referring to the AV final draft it needs work ..IMO not worth the $$ ... i have final draft .. when i asked them when would the AV allow you to store photo's, graphics , sound along with the scripting they said look again in 2004

Jeff Donald December 5th, 2002 05:38 PM

Wow, over a year away. That's really disappointing.

Jeff

Robert Knecht Schmidt December 5th, 2002 08:55 PM

Try Movie Magic Screenwriter 2000

I use and like Movie Magic Screenwriter 2000. Hunt around on the web for good deals--you shouldn't have to pay too much for it.

Guest December 6th, 2002 12:17 AM

Final Draft

Mark me down for MM2K as well. It's excellent, and it generates awesome production breakdowns. Another thing I like about it is the ease with which it imports and exports other file types. And it writes .pdf files if you want to e-mail a script to somebody who has no scriptwriting software. Beside all that, it's has long been the industry standard in the big production houses.

I used Scriptware for several years before switching to MM2k. It does a decent job and may even be easier to use right out of the box than MM2K is. It also has a pretty decent AV format (but I couldn't tell you if it imports graphics into AV because I never tried). But Scriptware had virtually no production breakdown capability... at least it was nothing to write home about.

Now, if you want to use a screenwriting program that'll make industry snobs think you're a rank amateur, go for Sophocles.

Bob Zimmerman December 6th, 2002 03:31 AM

I was looking at Moviemagic too. Thanks for the input on that.
Something about Final Cut AV just looked kind of cheap...thanks again.

Bob Zimmerman December 6th, 2002 01:49 PM

Will Moviemagic work on a Mac?

Robert Knecht Schmidt December 6th, 2002 03:36 PM

The Movie Magic Screenwriter 2000 CD-ROM comes with both Windows and Macintosh (OS 9 I believe) versions.

Charles mentioned Screenwriter's PDF export capability. I can't speak enough towards the usefulness of such a function, for e-mailing non-editable scripts to partners, placing scripts on the web, and baking for WYSIWYG printing. The plain text import and export features also work fairly well. Screenwriter has many other bells and whisles that most people will never use. As far as I know, it has no image import capability.

Jeff Donald December 6th, 2002 03:57 PM

PDF export is built into OS X on Macs.

Jeff

John Locke December 6th, 2002 05:05 PM

I bought the very first edition of Final Draft...way back when...and it has come a looooong way since then. So, if you take into acount the difference between the first FD edition and today and apply that same probable progression to AV, you can bet that AV will be a killer program before too long.

Vinson Watson December 7th, 2002 06:53 PM

When you look at the two, MM2K and Final Draft, side by side, MM2K blows Final Draft away as far as functions and such. It's the one I plan to get.

-Vinson

John Locke December 7th, 2002 07:53 PM

Vinson,

I just went to the Writer's Store and compared Movie Magic and Final Draft feature-per-feature and they appear almost identical. In what way does MM blow away FD in your opinion?

Richard Alvarez December 7th, 2002 08:58 PM

Screenwriting software is a bit like nle software... you should understand what your end product is going to be... what you NEED now, and later.

Having said that, I bought the first version of Scriptware back in.... '93 I think. I've written all my scripts on it. Export via ASCII txt whenever I need to send it to someone as a text file. It will convert to dual collumn AV format, or STAGE format. Not sure what new bells and whistles are on the current version, but a decade has come and gone so I imagine it will do a lot. Works great for me. I've won awards, optioned two scripts, and written eight. (features, not counting shorts).

I don't think the new version has much in the way of importing graphic abilities, or budget breakdown. I do own an Avid ExpressDV system, and I can import the script right into the system. It will attach scene graphics and cutaways, and mark the dialogue... more power and abilities than I probably need, but nice to know it has them. Does FCP or VV offer script importing?

Jeff Donald December 7th, 2002 09:28 PM

I believe only Avid allows you to import scripts. Final Drafts also saves in a special .txt extension to allow importing into Avids.

Jeff

Rob Lohman December 9th, 2002 07:32 AM

Hmmm.. interesting! Never knew Avid could do that. Perhaps I
should take a closer look it in the near future. Thanks for bringing
it to my attention!

John Threat December 20th, 2002 09:58 PM

Most of the bells and whistles on final Draft are clunky and a waste.

just format my frigging script. I dont need it read with microsoft speech or character name suggestions. that just keeps the price high. They stick a lot of bullshit features cluttering it up, instead of actual tools that you can use.

That said, I own a copy that I bought thru amazon.com. It serves me well when i am lazy and dont want to format it myself,

John Locke December 20th, 2002 10:14 PM

Whoa, Jeep!

Some, such as myself, find the bells & whistles useful...and hardly consider the price for Final Draft as expensive.

It's okay to disagree...but let's try to keep it a bit more diplomatic, please.

Robert Knecht Schmidt December 20th, 2002 11:18 PM

Jeep's got a point--if Microsoft Word had a macro that formatted scripts reliably, it would decimate the market for Final Draft and Screenwriter.

Ken Tanaka December 20th, 2002 11:52 PM

ScriptWerx

http://www.scriptwerx.com/

John Locke December 21st, 2002 12:21 AM

Robert,

I agree he has a point...but there are more diplomatic ways of expressing opinions.

If Person A endorses something, then Person B comes along and says it's "clunky and a waste" and has "bull**** features cluttering it up"...that translates to Person B basically saying "Person A, you're an idiot."

That's not why we're here...and that type of exchange achieves nothing.

Disagreeing is great...but back up what you're saying with a few details, and be sensitive to the fact that others might not agree with you.

I, for one, have never cared for Microsoft Word...even though I use it daily in my work. I get tired of it constantly trying to second guess my efforts. Plus, being a Mac user, I'm constantly plagued with compatibility issues. They say that Mac and PC users alike should be able to exchange files and work without fear of formatting losses and such. I can tell you that just isn't true. The team that I work with on a daily basis are located in four different countries...all of whom have different language operating systems, different versions of Windows, and different versions of MS Word. Let me tell you, compatibility is a nightmare.

With Final Draft, all you need is the viewer...just like a PDF file...and anyone can open it, and the formatting remains the same.

Still...I realize some people have cut their teeth on MS Word and feel more comfortable with it. To each his own. I'd say the most important thing is the words and ideas you put onto the page, not how the page is handled.

Now...see what I did? I gave a differing opinion, backed it up, and hopefully didn't make anyone feel slighted. That's what I'm talking about.

Robert Knecht Schmidt December 21st, 2002 05:47 AM

True--yet, I'll bet you still know you'll feel better if you just let it all out. Go ahead. Say it. "MS Word is bull@#$%!" There: didn't that feel better?

--- Microsoft Word lover
|
V

John Locke December 21st, 2002 05:53 AM

Okay then...I WILL say it!

MS Word is bullatpounddollarpercentexclamation

...whew! I DO feel better!

Robert Knecht Schmidt December 21st, 2002 06:04 AM

Ken, I've never tried ScriptWerx, but I have tried a lot of the similar Word plugins, and none of them worked to my satisfaction. Do you know, can ScriptWerx:
  • Autocomplete sluglines?
  • Break up a long line of dialogue between two pages and put (MORE) in between the broken dialogue, then remove the (MORE) when a deletion/addition before the broken line reunites the two pieces on the same page again?
  • Do the same for (CONTINUED)s for scenes?
  • Predict which character will be speaking next after typing just the first letter of the character's name? (Helps speed writing dialogue--by a lot!)
  • WYSIWYG viewing and printing that doesn't change when you send the file to somebody else?
  • Script notes that you can choose to print or not print? (Might be possible with Word XP which I believe does have a note function.)
  • 15 NUMBER SCENES CORRECTLY? 15
  • Go back and renumber the scenes upon making a scene addition/deletion?
  • DISTINGUISH SCENE HEADINGS FROM LINES OF ACTION DESCRIPTION THAT JUST HAPPEN TO BE ALL IN CAPITAL LETTERS?
I don't need budgeting breakdown or a partner IM function built into my screenwriting software, but I do want features that help speed funneling thoughts onto the page before they drip right out of my head. As soon as Word can do all of the above--I'm there.

Richard Alvarez December 21st, 2002 07:48 AM

Scriptware will do what you want, without extraneous bells and whistles.

Yeah, they were the first Screenwriting program. Still one of the best.

John Locke December 26th, 2002 01:40 AM

For you guys that don't want to use Final Draft or any programs with bells and whistles, this link has some script helpers for MS Word, as well as storyboards, releases, shot lists, call sheets...you name it. And all free to download.

http://www.dependentfilms.net/files.html

Ken Tanaka December 26th, 2002 02:02 AM

Robert,
I was not promoting ScriptWerx, per se. Mainly pointing it out as a Word-based alternative to packaged scriptwriting programs.

I do have ScriptWerx but have not used it enough to crow its virtues over alternatives. Having used Word since its creation on the PC platform (back to DOS 2.1 days of the early 1980's), it's become like a prosthetic device to me. From my perspective, ScriptWerx was a nearly free tool appropriate for formatting short scripts and storyboards written by an amateur (me) using the very powerful word processor that I already have. To that end it seemed like a better choice than the less powerful, but more task-specialized, dedicated scriptwriters.

Honestly, if I eventually resolve to undertake more challenging writing projects I'll most likely hire a professional writer to handle clerical tasks involved.

John Threat December 26th, 2002 07:24 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by John Locke : Whoa, Jeep!

Some, such as myself, find the bells & whistles useful...and hardly consider the price for Final Draft as expensive.

It's okay to disagree...but let's try to keep it a bit more diplomatic, please. -->>>

Excuse the profanity, but I think my point was made, including the fact that I purchased a copy for my orginzation which i think speaks volumes. I outlined what I thought was flawed and what you pay for. I see the company add lots of features that make the program buggy and bloatware, in order to justify a new version release.

The format for writing scripts hasn't changed much in 50 years, but this program sure has. Of course, upgrading is up to you, older versions work just fine.

There are features in there that are great, like export to avid metasync, if you like to cut like that, then there are features that are large and clunky and will not help you get a script sold or assist you in writing a script.

Robert Knecht Schmidt December 26th, 2002 08:21 AM

John:

Nice link, thanks. The various non-Word files look to be fairly useful also.

John Locke December 26th, 2002 08:45 AM

Myself and others who use Final Draft, including...

* J.J. Abrams
* Robert Altman
* Darren Aronofsky
* John Badham
* Alan Ball
* Michael Bay
* Steven Bochco
* James L. Brooks
* William Broyles
* Stephen J. Cannell
* Rob Cohen
* John Cusack
* Pen Densham
* Steven E. deSouza
* Andy Dick
* John Fasano
* John Favreau
* Bruce Feirstein
* Terry Gilliam
* Tom Hanks
* Amy Heckerling
* Todd Holland
* Gale Anne Hurd
* Peter Iliff
* Lawrence Kasdan
* Brian Koppelman
* Tim Kring
* Steph Lady
* David Levien
* Jon Lovitz
* James Mangold
* Paul Mazursky
* Anthony Minghella
* Christopher McQuarrie
* Matthew Modine
* Dan Myrick
* Nancy Meyers
* Sydney Pollack
* Jan Sardi
* Oliver Stone
* Charles Shyer
* Ben Stiller
* Bonnie Turner
* Terry Turner
* Kevin Williamson
* John Woo
* J.D. Zeik

Zac Stein December 26th, 2002 09:41 AM

Just gotta say.

A friend of mine gave me his copy of Final Daft as a Chanukah present, i have found it really good, so much easier than self formatting.

kermie