My lens has a spot on it, is there anything I can do? - Page 18 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 7th, 2019, 10:44 AM   #256
also known as Ryan Wray

Re: My lens has a spot on it, is there anything I can do?

Oh you mean the booming in general. Sorry, I thought you meant for a specific project. The booming has been going good, cause I've been putting a Rode Blimp over the mic which helps. It takes up space indoors and has a greater chance of touching ceilings, so I want to get a smaller wind cover, which I will do, but it's going good if I put that on.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2019, 03:56 AM   #257
Inner Circle

ah - so you've solved the wind noise problem, but now want to get a less effective one because of ceiling height? Just practice Ryan. Low ceilings are normal. If your mic moves are now silent, you solved that problem so all you need to do now is practice so you don't thump the ceiling - NOT - swap the solution, that's daft!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2019, 04:23 AM   #258
Slash Rules!

When I read Paul’s responses I like to imagine him at work: another crew member comes up and says “You seem distracted, everything ok?”

Paul answers “I can’t stop thinking about Ryan Elder. Why would he...I mean it makes no...how could anyone...”

Crew guy says, “THIS again? Youve been obsessed with him for months. Youve got to stop reading those threads. Theyre eroding your sanity.”

Paul looks at crew guy with haunted eyes that gave seen too much to ever come back from and says “I know.”

Cut to paul awake at 3am, staring out a window, smoking, an ashtray full of butts on a table next to him, bags black as night under his eyes from months without sleep, hair a mess, and Ryan’s words from nine months of threads circling through his mind endlessly.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2019, 08:07 AM   #259
Inner Circle

Don't joke Josh, you have no idea how close this image actually is. In truth, I've no idea why I keep at it - especially when so much advice gets rejected immediately or mangled. Maybe we could do a movie - Educating Ryan?

I'll try to stop (but I said that to myself two weeks ago. What I don't understand is how the time difference seems to not matter - topics grow and grow all the time irrespective of the time of day. I have three screens inthe studio here, and every time I have to wait for the machines, I have a little look. Kind of theraputic after three hours of some horrible classical composer who wrote every piece of his music when very angry - tha I've been working on for weeks.
Old September 10th, 2019, 05:05 AM   #260
Inner Circle

I imagine Paul as Commissioner Dreyfus and Ryan as Inspector Jacques Clouseau. You’re driving yourself crazy giving him advice. If you’re not careful you’ll soon be in a straight jacket talking to yourself. “he’s recording V.O. in the woods” [laughing hysterically]
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2019, 07:00 AM   #261
Obstreperous Rex

I would schedule an intervention, but... I'm the enabler.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2019, 08:06 AM   #262
Slash Rules!

A third of us are obsessed, a third able to occasionally dive into the fray, and a third eating popcorn while we laugh manically and watch the whole thing burn.
Old September 10th, 2019, 08:32 AM   #263
Inner Circle

Yep - I know. I had exactly the same trouble when I was an examiner, and got promoted and promoted till I was setting qualification, deciding what to test them on and then watching as many failed. Then I started to do the training for the teachers had exactly the same response.

I just can't get comfy with him not getting it, but you're all right. It is becoming pointless and the circle closes shut again and again.

I'll try to keep quiet, but then Ryan posts some other 'rule' or "so you are saying ........." and it eats away at me. I'd love to see his name on a serious TV or movie end credit and say Yes! he got there. It happens with some of my old students and I always feel good and smile.
Old September 11th, 2019, 07:43 AM   #264
Regular Crew

Shakespeare had a script for this 400 years ago:

Doctor. You see, her eyes are open.
Gentlewoman. Ay, but their sense are shut.
Doctor. What is it she does now? Look, how she rubs her hands.
Gentlewoman. It is an accustomed action with her, to seem thus washing her hands: I have known her go continue in this a quarter of an hour.
Lady Macbeth. Yet here's a spot.
Doctor. Hark, she speaks! I will set down what comes from her, to satisfy my remembrance the more strongly.
Lady Macbeth. Out, damned spot! Out, I say! One: two: why, then 'tis time to do it. Hell is murky! Fie, my lord, fie! a soldier, and afeard? What need we fear who knows it, when none can call our power to account? Yet who would have thought the old man to have had so much blood in him?

Cast Ryan as Lady Macbeth, and any 2 of the any other posters as the Doctor and the Gentlewoman/man.
Can Lady Macbeth now sleep at ease?
David Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2019, 07:48 PM   #265
Inner Circle

More like this but with a camera instead

or this

Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2019, 02:42 AM   #266
Inner Circle

The Hitler Bunker one would be good!
Old October 3rd, 2019, 10:52 PM   #267
also known as Ryan Wray

Since I was planning on getting a new camera, soon, possibly a blackmagic camera, or something like that, are there any cameras like those, that have a plug in option, so you don't have to use battery power all the time?

I like how field recorders often come with a plug in option, if you the camera is static, and there are a lot of outlits around, so why not. But are there any cameras with that option to save on battery power?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2019, 11:35 PM   #268
Slash Rules!

I would assume literally every camera has the ability to run off AC power.
Old October 4th, 2019, 12:55 AM   #269
Inner Circle

Best check the Blackmagic site for these details and accessories. The new 6k pocket cameras will run on 12V DC, so with a suitable connector, there's a lot of options for powering from the mains or using external batteries.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2019, 07:51 AM   #270
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Elder View Post
are there any cameras with that option to save on battery power?
I am unaware of any that do NOT have that option.

Even your Rebel T2i.

The AC power adapter for your T2i is the Canon model ACK-E6. It's available as an optional accessory purchase.

Here's the B&H link for it: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...2855/KBID/3801

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion